Home Repair Shop

It's really easy Kevin. I know it's a little scary in the beginning but I just jumped in and found that it is super easy and a lot of fun.

But ask away and I know there will be plenty if guys to give you an answer.

I got a hybrid shaft swap that needs to happen sometime soon. Probably will let a professional do that for me. But I've got some wedges to toy around with

For all of you guys that are tinkerers. Did you just try it? Take a class? Attend any formal training? Read a few articles? I'm so afraid I'm going to screw up some clubs. I work with my hands and tools for a living so that part is not a concern. I'd like to start toying around with some of this stuff.
I've recently started with regripping, but it was so easy that I really want to start tinkering with cutting/reshafting. There is a ton of info both here and in Hawk's reshafting thread. Outside of reading the forum, I plan on jumping right in.

For all of you guys that are tinkerers. Did you just try it? Take a class? Attend any formal training? Read a few articles? I'm so afraid I'm going to screw up some clubs. I work with my hands and tools for a living so that part is not a concern. I'd like to start toying around with some of this stuff.

It's just metal Kevin. Can't really mess it up unless you do something really weird.

Blow up a grip and you learn really quick what not to do. Its usually quite easy. I find it really helps to get all of your stuff lined up before hand. A bit of organization and space can help alleviate some of the issues you will come across. Cut down an old club and give it a go before you start working on your gamer stuff, or just dive in head first.

I think we have the same vise.

I just got it from my dad when they moved, it worked out great. My basement bench is a little messy right now. Too many projects going on.

Grips were easy and I used air to do mine. Extended my 4i and that was super easy as well reshafting steel shaft i would feel comfortable doing or inserting graphite shafts. But pulling graphite not so much.

I read through the gripping thread(s) and it was as easy as it looked and read like it was.

Just inherited a repair station from a friend who is PCSing (Permanent Change of Station) to Korea and it has everything I need to re-grip/re-shaft. SOOOO looking forward to tinkering with my clubs. I will be able to re-grip (includes a solvent catcher), re-shaft (has shaft puller w/small vice), small hand torch, and several hacksaw blades. Looks like all I will need to purchase are the expendable supplies.

Hey neighbor. Lots of fun tinkering. Enjoy it.

First job in my new home repair shop. I have a large unfinished part in my basement where I have several work benches and store my tools. My wife wanted new grips on her clubs. She picked out the Golf Pride Niion and the Super Stroke 3.0 for the putter. Was a very easy job. Recommend that anyone who has not done so to give it a try. I am going to pick out some new grips for me and do those next. Will post more photos later.

Anyone out there using/have any opinions on this type of shaft puller?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anodized-Al...lf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item2c76177d4d

500x500.jpg

OK, so since the regripping that I did for my wife's clubs went so well, I decided to go ahead and regrip my own clubs. I picked out the Lamkin Performance Plus 3 GEN grips. Again, it is a very easy job. No problems. Here are some step by step photos.

Photo of new grips prior to installation.

Tools I used to remove the old grips.

Cutting the old grip off.

Pulling the old grip off.

Heat the old tape with a heat gun to loosen the adhesive.

Old tape removed.

Items used to install new grips.

Install tape.

Fold tape around shaft.

Twist excess tape at the butt end of club and then push into the but end of the club.

Put your finger over the hole at the butt end of the grip and put solvent inside the grip to coat the inside of the grip with solvent. Pour the solvent from the inside of the grip over the tape on the shaft. Make sure that you use enough solvent; in my opinion it is better to be safe and use too much solvent than not enough solvent. I use a foil pan to catch the excess solvent run-off. Slide the grip on the shaft as quickly as you can.

I turn the club upside down and tap the club on the floor to make sure the grip is all the way on.

Then make any final adjustment to the grip alignment while the solvent is still active.

After I finish a few clubs I pour the solvent from the foil catch basin back in the bottle.

Repeat until you have finished with all of your clubs.

Thanks branck for the step by step process, you make it look so simple.

It actually is that simple.

Agreed. It is extremely simple. I would recommend that anyone who has ever thought about regripping and was afraid to try it, to go ahead and give it a shot. It really does not take that long once you get the hang of it. Lay everything out. Remove all of the old grips one after another. Install all of the new grips one after another. Be sure to use plenty of grip solvent.

I have some new shafts on their way. New Lamkin 3GEN Crossline Ace Oversized grips waiting to go on them when they arrive. I'll be trying this myself for the first time... might try re-shafting some of my old clubs as practice. It's not a huge savings over having it done professionally, but it sure is faster and more convenient. Assuming I don't screw it up :)

Thanks for this thread. It has given me the confidence to just do the work myself instead of wasting fuel and time (and a bit of money) driving them to the shop to be done.

For those wanting a shaft puller, The Roberts puller on eBay is perfect. Do not worry about pulling graphite shafts, I use a heat gun and slowly apply heat while adding pressure to the puller. REMEMBER, 30 seconds of a heat gun can and will do damage to a graphite shaft. Use 15-20 second burst and keep pressure on the puller, once you see the head move you are good to pull.

I have some new shafts on their way. New Lamkin 3GEN Crossline Ace Oversized grips waiting to go on them when they arrive. I'll be trying this myself for the first time... might try re-shafting some of my old clubs as practice. It's not a huge savings over having it done professionally, but it sure is faster and more convenient. Assuming I don't screw it up :)

Thanks for this thread. It has given me the confidence to just do the work myself instead of wasting fuel and time (and a bit of money) driving them to the shop to be done.

If you want some help or anything with this let me know, id be happy to show you what I have set up and answer any pointers

Really excited - I just bought a Roberts puller off of eBay (not a bad price - less than $130 shipped). Figured it'll let me do all of my own pulling/reshafting and should pay for itself in a couple of jobs. Should also serve perfectly as a vise for regripping, etc.

Oh, how easy it is to justify a purchase you just really wanted.

Really excited - I just bought a Roberts puller off of eBay (not a bad price - less than $130 shipped). Figured it'll let me do all of my own pulling/reshafting and should pay for itself in a couple of jobs. Should also serve perfectly as a vise for regripping, etc.

Oh, how easy it is to justify a purchase you just really wanted.

Holy cow that's a heck of a deal on a Roberts puller. I need to stalk the Bay a little more it seems!

Holy cow that's a heck of a deal on a Roberts puller. I need to stalk the Bay a little more it seems!

There are usually one or two floating around for somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-160 shipped, so it's not a "steal" by any stretch of the imagination, but I was pretty happy paying that price. Better than screwing up a set of graphite shafts I want to pull. And better than paying like $5-7 bucks a club JUST to have them pulled.

I've been eyeballing the Roberts for a while. I'm going to convert my home office to a golf repair shop, since I don't use it as an office anymore. I've already bought some cabinets for it, I just need to get a countertop to use and get rid of the carpet for some laminate flooring, then I'll start picking up the tools.

For steel I just use a circular rotating pipe cutter thingy. How's that for a description?

Back