Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I had ping bend my sw I ordered to 55. Standard is 54. I hit my u wedge probably more than any other, it performs well. Have not had my sand wedge long but am getting real comfortable with it as well. Easy to hit, great feel and plenty of spin. Shots stop on a dime.

Ok these puppies are going back in the bag for now At least 5-UW. I had forgotten how great they were with turf interaction until I played the last few weeks with some rough turf conditions.
Still my best round ever with these in the bag, but for some reason I keep tinkering. "Forgive me Pings, I strayed a bit--but I am back" At least for a round or two :p

Ok these puppies are going back in the bag for now At least 5-UW. I had forgotten how great they were with turf interaction until I played the last few weeks with some rough turf conditions.
Still my best round ever with these in the bag, but for some reason I keep tinkering. "Forgive me Pings, I strayed a bit--but I am back" At least for a round or two :p

What shafts are you going to play in them?

I'll be reshafting mine soon, poor heads just sitting over there all lonely and everything. I still adore these irons.

What shafts are you going to play in them?

Still the CTL Stiff. I have two sets now since the 588 standard had a different length requirement (longer) than ping standard and extensions just bug me mentally through a whole set.

Like you I really like mine but go back and forth as well. Very difficult for me to abandon my original Ping Raptures, so when I switch I am still bagging Ping irons. If forced to make a preference might lean only slightly to my original Rapture set .

Picked up my set finally and they are GREAT. Got the c-tapers in them. Now I've gotta get rid of my AP1s....

Still loving these irons. Got in a couple range sessions over the weekend and was back to hitting these the way I should be. Sure there's more forgiving and probably longer irons out there. Lord knows I've been tempted but these just feel so good when you pure one out there. Don't know if I'll ever be a 4I guy, but the 5I was working well for me yesterday.

Has anyone compared the i20 to the Taylormade MC (2011)? I've seen them being compared to the CB, but not much direct comparison the the MC that I can find. I currently play the MC and hit the i20 today and really, really liked it. I would like forgiveness without the bulk of some GI irons and am wondering if the i20 would be a step in the right direction regarding forgiveness.

Got two rounds in this week with the standard set sand wedge. And after using it a good amount I'm thinking about grabbing the matching LW. Chipped with it a number of times and had some solid success. This is something I didn't practice really before using it on the course, so I was really pleased with my ability to control distance. Definitely saved a couple of holes from off the green with it.

My on course sand shots were either short/high or out of hard sand so I used my LW mostly there. That said, the course I went to on Friday is testing a new sand material (forget the name) and they had just filled it so it was really soft. Grabbed the i20 SW and hit about 10-15 shots with it. Managed to get them all out on the practice green. Distance control was a little off but getting out for me in soft sand can be a challenge, so I was definitely happy with those results!

End of the day, the real reason I bought this wedge is that I hit a lot of fuller shots with my SW so I wanted to take advantage of the forgiveness there. Definitely not disappointed with the performance here. Able to hit my 100ish (layup yardage) targets pretty well. Don't know why I'd be surprised but the i20 head with the CFS shaft produces plenty of spin on larger shots. I was able to have most shots hit and stick, and had a couple suck back a bit on me.

So like I said, pondering the set LW. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the higher bounce as I play a lot of courses with poorly maintained or really firm bunkers. I also like to open the face some on a lot of shots around the green. Not sure how that will work out, but I'm going to work on some of those shots next time I get out to practice with the SW to see if I can make them work there before taking the plunge on the LW.

Finally got the set LW in and in play this weekend. Defaulted to it on all of my greenside shots. Still working on my distance control but hit some really solid shots with it. Seemed to really jive well, especially on mid range pitches, which led to a few one-putt pars for a PB round. Can't wait to put this wedge in play again this week.

Finally got the set LW in and in play this weekend. Defaulted to it on all of my greenside shots. Still working on my distance control but hit some really solid shots with it. Seemed to really jive well, especially on mid range pitches, which led to a few one-putt pars for a PB round. Can't wait to put this wedge in play again this week.

Congrats on the PB. My Dad had a Ping Eye 2 LW and it was so easy to hit from full shots to around the green. Glad you are having success with the i20 LW.

Congrats on the PB. My Dad had a Ping Eye 2 LW and it was so easy to hit from full shots to around the green. Glad you are having success with the i20 LW.

Thanks! Yeah, I know it's mental but I just tried to take small swings with it and was able to make solid contact all day. I also really enjoy having the same shafts as my irons.

If anyone has the i20 LW that they arent using, I would love to take it off of your hands.

These are my gamers now until I am blessed with a new bag from my wonderful MC sponsor. I will say that these have been rock solid clubs for me. I would recommend anyone looking for a great deal to pick these up used. I did have the i25s and they are solid clubs, just not enough to move me off the i20. Playing the best golf I have ever played with these clubs so its hard to justify a move.

These are my gamers now until I am blessed with a new bag from my wonderful MC sponsor. I will say that these have been rock solid clubs for me. I would recommend anyone looking for a great deal to pick these up used. I did have the i25s and they are solid clubs, just not enough to move me off the i20. Playing the best golf I have ever played with these clubs so its hard to justify a move.

This is pretty much how I've felt about them. These irons will be hard to let go of...

Oh how I love my i20 s. I would have never thought I'd like something more than my beloved mizunos but these did just that.

I will post my love as well. There has been no other golf club that I have loved more.

I will post my love as well. There has been no other golf club that I have loved more.

Even more than the CB3's? :alien:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Even more than the CB3's? :alien:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Those two hold a special place in my heart. I think the i20's lead by the slightest of margins. Only because I have noticed lower scores. You know, its ALWAYS the arrow and never the indian.

Those two hold a special place in my heart. I think the i20's lead by the slightest of margins. Only because I have noticed lower scores. You know, its ALWAYS the arrow and never the indian.

That's a basic #InternetGolfer tenet hahaha. Good to know man, I knew you were a HUGE fan of both sets.

I was at Golfsmith today, and I overheard a great exchange. Customer: "What's the difference between G20 and i20 irons?" Salesman: "They're styled differently." Which is sort of like saying that the difference between an apple and applesauce is the number of letters in each word.

I was at Golfsmith today, and I overheard a great exchange. Customer: "What's the difference between G20 and i20 irons?" Salesman: "They're styled differently." Which is sort of like saying that the difference between an apple and applesauce is the number of letters in each word.

I find myself helping customers every time I walk into my local Golfsmith.

The Ping i20 is the best looking and feeling Ping iron since the nickel ISI, just my opinion. Both great irons and Ping makes very good irons.

gday gentlemen ( and ladies )
in need of some educated direction or thoughts.
I picked up on ebay a set of i20 irons, yellow dot, same specs as my previously fitted g25's. ( 6 months ago ) and love the i20's.
The only difference was the g25's had regular flex cfs shafts, compared to the i20 that have stiff.
I love the i20's, but believe the reg flex shafts were better for me ( high teens handicap and in my 50's ).
To change to the regular flex cfs ping shafts for 7 irons, is going to cost approximately $325-.
The problem and first question, is there a great difference between the stiff and reg flex cfs shafts? some say shaft flex is the most defining part of the club.
The next question, do i go for the cost of the reg flex shafts in the i20's @ $325 or spend $900 on a new set of callaway apex or srixon z545?
Feedback and opinions on the shafts, and the comparisons to apex and z545 appreciated.
cheers

Back