Drivers used to have better names ...

Covert?

My old Large Marge

The Hammer! POWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

The Hammer

Killer bee bullwhip. Or was it bumblebee... I don't remember.

People complain about marketing all of the time being too prevalent in golf sales, so those who do, shouldn't the name not matter when buying a driver? I realize that people don't want to hit a Dingleberry driver or anything like that, but a name that is a bunch of letter and numbers will not stop me from buying it.

Merged with existing thread

Its not that old yet, but I used to love the name "Burner" from the TaylorMade lines. I know they just dropped it, but that was a pretty bad ass name.

I always liked King Cobra. I think Cobra still does a good job with creative names: Bio Cell, Trusty Rusty, Baffler, Long Tom...

Oh I almost forgot about the Cleveland Mashie line. Great throwback.

I gamed a Wilson Whale for a long time after college. I don't know what happened to it.

Cleveland Launcher was a solid driver name as was the Burner line.

Long drive component heads have the beastiest sounding names. Bang-O-Matic!

I enjoyed and used the Wilson Deep Red for many years.

I had a friend who bought this bright yellow driver from Walmart about a decade ago called the mello yello or something like that.. It was one of the more ridiculous things I've seen.

Bang Mellow Yellow? It was actually a very good head if you could get past the looks.

my2.gif

Actually I think my favorite name is Geek Golf's "Dot Com This".

dct.jpg

there has been some unique names for sure over the years.

I don't care what you name it if i can hit it with any kind of control I will game it. With that said some of the names do make you actually second guess what the company was thinking.

What is the best name we have had over the years?

I've gotten to the point that I'm more disappointed in the fact that they discontinue a line and make a whole other line every year instead of staying with is product line for several years such as the ping g an i series. I feel like it diminishes the products because there's nothing coming before to help it gain popularity and momentum from previous users and products.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I think my favorite name is the Launcher. Rolls off the tongue and it's just a great name for a driver.

Covert is a name that I struggle with. Is it camo or something? Is it super quiet? I just don't get it.

What is the best name we have had over the years?

Launcher
Octane
Burner

I like when a company sticks to simplicity like the 909,910,913 or Amp, Amp cell, Amp Bio cell. I think Wilson fails in the driver name catagory I hope with the D-100 and Fg M3 they build on it and use D-200 and M4.

I prefer brand over product name. I like saying "I play a TaylorMade" more than "I play an uber duper donkey long... by TaylorMade"[/QUOTE]

LOL how long till that becomes trade marked and used....

I've not really cared much about the names, so I never thought about this much. there are definitely some interesting ones out there. I did like the Diablo name. That mellow yellow cracks me up, though I wouldn't want my driver to be too mellow.

I'd have to say I really liked the Launcher name Cleveland used. I owned a Launcher Comp and it was awesome!

Back