Google Glass GPS Golf system anyone?

Ranger5022

Reaction score
Handicap
Found this in my Flipboard whilst on the way to work. Now while the article is mostly on about the new development tools for the Google Glass project it was the photo that grabbed my attention ......have a look , I think these would be a useful addition / substitution to a golf gps unit....now if someone can write an app to read the break of the green for me with them.....or an app that imposes the Seemore putter markings on top of the putter I am using for alignment .....

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/19/5122878/google-releases-sneak-peek-of-long-awaited-glass-development-kit

Last edited:
Link is not working for me, but I can see Google Glass being used as a rangefinder/GPS hybrid of sorts, able to connect with mobile internet.

I have redone the link , cant check it at work as the site is prohibited ...:banghead:

I got called about this today.
More info coming soon.

I can't open the link either but I like the potential.

Sorry the link is not working , if you want to see the picture I was trying to show , then The Verge is the website

OH JB trust you to have something up your sleeve...colour me very very intrigued I will be looking forward to what ever info you post....

I've applied to get an opportunity to buy Google Glass as a developer, but I'm sure tons of others have as well. I'd love to see how well the GPS works on the course. I don't really see a need to wear them as you play, though.

I love tech but google glass is going to be an epic failure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love tech but google glass is going to be an epic failure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
or it will be a pioneer for other ideas. Something doesn't have to sell a lot to be a huge success. How many households had a computer in the 70s? How many do now? Was that computer an epic failure?

or it will be a pioneer for other ideas. Something doesn't have to sell a lot to be a huge success. How many households had a computer in the 70s? How many do now? Was that computer an epic failure?

A heads up display isn't exactly revolutionary.

A heads up display isn't exactly revolutionary.

true, but the heads up display is not the revolutionary part (though the size of the HUD did break a bit of new ground). It has already led to multiple advancements in augmented reality technology, and is an excellent testing platform for lots of new things that software developers would love to try without having to develop their own hardware. Google glass does have its issues, but calling it an epic failure is extremely harsh and baseless. It's not something I would expect to find in golf bags any time soon, at least not in its current form, but that's not really its intention. There's a good reason why these things have been around for quite some time now without any retail offering. It's an experiment... and a good one.

Interesting. Although the vid I watched was not well thought out. I mean she's ready to hit to the green, club in hand, when she asks the icaddy for distance. It returns the info and she strikes the ball. Did she take the icaddy's suggestion to use a 56 wedge? Who knows... she didn't change clubs. That aside, Google has the bucks to launch this and it will be an interesting test. Hope they bring it to THP for testing.

I really couldn't play a shot with all that info in my field of vision. It seems pretty cool but not for me thanks.

In a game where you need to focus on the ball, I think that display will get distracting. Doesn't seem like a great concept to me. But oh well.

and did anybody notice when she asked the distance to the cup for her putt that it told her the break and where to aim....so that makes it illegal.

In a game where you need to focus on the ball, I think that display will get distracting. Doesn't seem like a great concept to me. But oh well.

Would developers not be able to produce something whereby you can turn off the display when you want to take your shot? If it was possible to have the info displayed while you are deciding on what shot / club to play but then clears the info when you address the ball, that would be worthwhile I would say?

Would developers not be able to produce something whereby you can turn off the display when you want to take your shot? If it was possible to have the info displayed while you are deciding on what shot / club to play but then clears the info when you address the ball, that would be worthwhile I would say?
No doubt. I'm sure it would get there eventually with user feedback. Than comes the sticker shock :act-up:

I could see this being a huge training aid. A HUD could really help alignments lines, ball position, reading break, open/closed face, etc etc. Take almost every alignment tool out there and imagine it as digital display.

The on course work would be great too. It could be a hybrid gps/rangefinder. I am sure the display would turn off when looking at the ground/ball.

The only question would be cost. Can they get it down to a point where the recreational golfer would buy it?

Looks like it could be a good tool but I wonder how accurate it can really get. Looking forward to more information as we get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back