2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 min. on the rowing machine kicked my butt this morning. If the Morgan Cup wasn't motivation enough, now having 4 teams trying to take the title away will have me in this thread a lot. Nice having the Bearded One on my team for a little extra support.

At a wedding this weekend across the country. Not going to be able to do much....

20 min. on the rowing machine kicked my butt this morning. If the Morgan Cup wasn't motivation enough, now having 4 teams trying to take the title away will have me in this thread a lot. Nice having the Bearded One on my team for a little extra support.

Totally dude. This is what I so needed. With the birth of our daughter and moving and changing schools this past 4-5 months has been one big long excuse for me in the gym. No more. My plan is to be in the best shape of my life for our MC battle. As a great friend so kindly reminded me- technically I have a title to defend...

You are correct coach, it is easy for me to get to 150, I look like a tweeker at that weight lol. Getting to a lean 170 is very hard for me!!!
Before my surgery it took me 4 years to get where I wanted to be.
I am hoping by this spring to be back where is I was before surgery, it is hard, but I am to stubborn to quit :)

Keep at it bro. Life always throws us curves. We just have to keep coming back and getting back in the gym, on that pavement, on that bike, or in that water.

Can get twice as much workout in a quarter of the time on the rower by focusing on big powerful strokes. Treat the rower like a power clean or a big powerful jump and watch your pace go get to 30 strokes per minute while your split time drops.

CAUTION: Doing so for more than 500m at a time will make you want to vomit.

Totally worth it! It feels more like a golf swing and less like a low-impact alternative to the elliptical machine. Big core bracing, total body movement. I've done a lot of exercises, and power-rowing is about the closest I've come to approximating the leg-drive core engagement that comes with a powerful golf swing.

I think proper transitions would improve my distance more than just building muscle would, but I definitely agree that I've got room to improve.

What I want to do, is condition my body so I don't feel as tired after a round or two. Being lean is a great benefit to golf, but having that added strength is where I want to be for 2014. Nothing crazy, just more than what I have.

Olympic lifts might be something to consider. There's a ton of parallels between Olympic lifts and golf. Lots of coordination, propioception, and power. Training for them doesn't add much mass. Keep the focus on strength with low reps high weight. Does a ton to improve core stability, while focusing on using the muscles between your knees and your sternum, right where a powerful golf swing is generated.

I would caution that proper form is essential (legs-back-arms on the pull, arms-back-legs on the recovery ). I've seen lower backs get tweaked during a power 1000m by rowers who got tired and lazy.

Can get twice as much workout in a quarter of the time on the rower by focusing on big powerful strokes. Treat the rower like a power clean or a big powerful jump and watch your pace go get to 30 strokes per minute while your split time drops.

Totally worth it! It feels more like a golf swing and less like a low-impact alternative to the elliptical machine. Big core bracing, total body movement. I've done a lot of exercises, and power-rowing is about the closest I've come to approximating the leg-drive core engagement that comes with a powerful golf swing.

Things happen and I've really slacked off fitness and nutrition wise since I got out of the Marine Corps. My diet was seriously terrible and I was drinking more than I should have been. The only exercise I was getting was golf which isn't enough. I spend 20 hours a week driving and start school at 8 AM so it's easy for me to make excuses. Something clicked in me the last couple days and I'm throwing all those excuses out the window. I went out today and got some cold weather running gear and the change starts tomorrow at 5 AM in what is supposed to be 23* temperatures. I wouldn't have it any other way, #bringit.

Really good advice here. creates a massive total body engaging workout.

I am thinking about incorporating some high intensity finishers to the end of my work outs. Thoughts?

Burpees, Russian kettle bell swings (halfway up, not all the way like American swings), high-low prowler suicides, five rounds of 500m row / 10 burpees for time, jump rope with double-unders. Just some thoughts. :)

I am thinking about incorporating some high intensity finishers to the end of my work outs. Thoughts?

Burpees, Russian kettle bell swings (halfway up, not all the way like American swings), high-low prowler suicides, five rounds of 500m row / 10 burpees for time, jump rope with double-unders. Just some thoughts. :)

I was thinking 25 goblet squats, 25 swings, 25 burpees, and 25 jumping jacks.

My routine doesn't leave a lot of energy for much else.

Any updates? Good / bad / ugly?

I'm loving it!! Haven't seen numbers on the scale but I have lost some inches in my waist and thighs.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Leg day was Friday, and I went after it hard! Still feeling it when I walk stand/sit...

Leg day was Friday, and I went after it hard! Still feeling it when I walk stand/sit...

Lots of water and bananas my friend. Then, just enjoy the feeling of work accomplished.

Lots of water and bananas my friend. Then, just enjoy the feeling of work accomplished.

Don't forget to stretch. It will help to reduce the lactic acid build up.

yes. Stretch or just activity in general. Get the blood moving into the muscles.

Awesome, thanks for the update!
My wife and I picked up the kit at a yard sale sans packaging and will be starting next week. :)

I'm loving it!! Haven't seen numbers on the scale but I have lost some inches in my waist and thighs.

I've been doing quite a bit of stretching, and like Blu stated water has been my friend!

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

I need to get back in this thread. It was a huge help when I needed some inspiration to workout!

Awesome, thanks for the update!
My wife and I picked up the kit at a yard sale sans packaging and will be starting next week. :)

Jlukes and his wife have done the program completely and are doing it again if I remember correctly. The 25 minutes go by quickly but you feel like you've worked.

Was sitting watching TV bored and feeling lazy. Just hopped on the bike for 30 minutes. Feel so much better. Gotta put in the work to see results. No way even 6 months ago would I have done that.

Was sitting watching TV bored and feeling lazy. Just hopped on the bike for 30 minutes. Feel so much better. Gotta put in the work to see results. No way even 6 months ago would I have done that.

That's pretty awesome buddy. Talk about progress!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back