The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And those games you said were some of the best all year, included UGA, a team that got beat by ACC laugher Clemson.
So while they have some great programs with great history, this year, many would disagree that they deserve an automatic bid in the BCS over teams that won all of their games.
They ventured out, they got beat. There is absolutely no way to know how deep that conference is, because the measuring stick of UGA got beat by the ACC before all the injuries and then gave schools in conference, just as hard a test (or harder).

Enough of using a UGA team that lost 9 defensive players to the NFL and lost by 3 points on the road at Clemson the first game of the season as a "measuring stick". Nobody had illusions UGA was playing for a BCS championship with freshmen and sophomores on defense. They would have to rely on Aaron Murray and company to out score their opponents. UGA lost their best receiver Mitchell on the first drive of the game and Gurley missed significant time during the game with a deep thigh bruise. Not sure how any team would do with its two top weapons taken away by the second quarter of the first game. I think we all feel the BCS is broken, but the final two earn their way there by the system in place and nothing is given. Which conference or team has stood out for you as a lock for the BCS championship game? The team that played a tough out of conference schedule coupled with a grueling conference schedule and came out the other side worthy of your nod.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Just saw the AP and Coaches Polls. Couple interesting observations...

1) As expected, FSU comfortably #1 in both polls.
2) While I know the AP Poll doesn't count for anything, I can't believe 2 voters put Auburn at #1.
3) As for the Coaches Poll, tOSU has a narrow 25 point lead over Auburn for #2. Will be curious to see what happens if both teams win next week in this poll.

Wow I can't believe Wake had a vote in the AP poll

If undefeated teams from legitimate BCS conferences are merely considered an afterthought to the "we all really know it is the best conference so let's just include SEC teams" then there is literally no point in having a NCS game or BCS system. Other school's accomplishments have to be rewarded too. Otherwise we can just skip all the drama and change the name of the SEC Championship game to the NCS Game.

No, we don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We can consider all factors. The SEC should not get in the championship game only because it is the SEC. But nobody is saying that. What some of us are saying (or what I am saying) is that a team should not get in primarily because it is from one of the major conferences and is undefeated. Or I guess what I am saying is that an undefeated season is over valued, and conference strength or other factors are under valued.

2 teams with 4 losses ranked is funny

Be careful about associating a majority of ANY fan base with the obnoxious lunacy of a vocal few please. I highly doubt you are qualified to speak to how the majority of the Bama fan base is responding to the loss today, but yes there are some vocal idiots spewing venom and hate. I'm sure Tennessee didn't have any "Wal-Mart" fans that put out death threats on former coaches as they left town...so you can keep a clean moral superiority.

I never said that Tennessee fans were above it all. Never said that there weren't any crazy fans that do stupid stuff in Tennessee as well. There are TONS. As a matter of fact they are probably the "majority" of the type of fans I saw growing up.

But come on now. I grew up literally ten minutes away from the Bama border. I went to the UT/Bama game nearly every year of my life growing up. I've been all around the United States and met people from every walk of life and every state. I can absolutely say that well above half of the people that I have ever met that are Bama fans wouldn't be too far past wanting to make that video themselves.

My point is this. For every logical thinking Bama fan I've ever met ANYWHERE I've ever been I've met multiple flaming morons. It goes the same for Tennessee fans, yes. At least I can admit to it.

I believe since you're a graduate you might think a little differently than most. And being an alumni, you might be associated with a lot that are different than most. So you might see both sides of it. But being from nowhere near either of the actual universities I've met your average "Joe Shmoe" UT and UA fans my entire life. I can say that more than not, both fanbases are plenty ridiculous in some way or another.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not use UGA? Its the only thing we can use, because they played teams out of conference. Lost yes, but did.
How else should we measure it? Base it on what happened in the BCS 7 years ago? Based on UF?
Auburn played nobody out of conference (I mean nobody this year).
Alabama played Va Tech.

Since these teams refuse to schedule out of conference tough opponents (not just SEC, but most schools), its the only thing that one can go by. Unless you want to listen to the above and base it on what happened when Tim Tebow was at UF and such.

Kind of funny ironically enough to base some of the SEC dominance of the BCS to a point when the coach was Urban Meyer, who is the coach of the team someone is so quick to dismiss.

Another irony, for the guy that said I was a SEC hater. Read the effin thread. I have been their biggest supporter of strength for the last 5 years on THP. But its not the same this year, and most people outside of the bubble know it.d

And this will officially be my last post in this thread. While some would like to have an objective conversation, its just not possible for others. Enjoy the thread guys, its why I hate what college football has become. Its like the internet magnified times 1000.

Not use UGA? Its the only thing we can use, because they played teams out of conference. Lost yes, but did.
How else should we measure it? Base it on what happened in the BCS 7 years ago? Based on UF?
Auburn played nobody out of conference (I mean nobody this year).
Alabama played Va Tech.

Since these teams refuse to schedule out of conference tough opponents (not just SEC, but most schools), its the only thing that one can go by. Unless you want to listen to the above and base it on what happened when Tim Tebow was at UF and such.

Kind of funny ironically enough to base some of the SEC dominance of the BCS to a point when the coach was Urban Meyer, who is the coach of the team someone is so quick to dismiss.

Another irony, for the guy that said I was a SEC hater. Read the effin thread. I have been their biggest supporter of strength for the last 5 years on THP. But its not the same this year, and most people outside of the bubble know it.d

And this will officially be my last post in this thread. While some would like to have an objective conversation, its just not possible for others. Enjoy the thread guys, its why I hate what college football has become. Its like the internet magnified times 1000.

So you're not going to answer my question on who your pick to play for it all is?

Alabama played Va Tech, Auburn played Wash State, USCe played UNC and Miss State played OK State the first week of the season.

So you're not going to answer my question?

After p*ssing a guy off that bad, why post this???

"Why do you look at the bubble in your brother's eye, and pay no attention to the bubble in your own eye?"

Matthew 7:3 (College Football Edition)

:laughing:

After p*ssing a guy off that bad, why post this???

I started a conversation. It's easy to disagree with an opinion and most people have differing views. That's what makes debates great, but I read his comments and asked a serious question. I truly want to know his answer too. JB feels the SEC is down this year based on his comments this year and I was curious which conference or team stood out to him. Wasn't trying to run him off just wanted to know his answer to my question. Simple enough.

I'm just gonna ask the SEC Bandwagon fans that say they have won the last 7 NC games is why don't they come up north and play January 1st? Sec basically gets a home game every NC game.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I'm just gonna ask the SEC Bandwagon fans that say they have won the last 7 NC games is why don't they come up north and play January 1st? Sec basically gets a home game every NC game.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Is about the money that the BCS is here to make. They make lots more of it in the south where the weather doesn't suck. Have an NC Bowl game up north in January and watch it be the least profitable NC bowl game in the history of the BCS.

Isn't the championship game set for one of the major bowl games, and aren't they all in the southern or western part of the U.S.? How is this the fault of the SEC?

ETA: And by the way, 3 of the last 7 championship games were played in Arizona or California. That's not a home game for the SEC.

If they both win Saturday, OSU should get their shot against FSU, it really is that simple at this point. I do hate to see the SEC title streak end without it's best representative being beaten by another conference's champion, but that's what happens when every team in the conference loses a game. There are five major conferences, and the strengths cycle, but going undefeated in the current two-team system has almost always been worth something.

I just view the whole thing as one giant farewell to a system that's time has come. Four team playoff starts next year...which will move the complaints at least down a few rungs, and will provide three games instead of just one that will be must-watch viewing.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I think the answer is that the Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Rose Bowl are all located in the South where fan bases want to travel to for the New Years holiday. Not sure many fans would want to travel to Detroit for a New Years Day Bowl game.

I am impressed with Auburn's season, if they beat #5 Missouri next weekend, they would have face 6 teams ranked in the To 25, all 6 of those being in-conference games, 4 of those were ranked in top 7 when they played, there one loss was to #6 ranked LSU. They will play 9 conference games(including Championship game) & 6 of those games were against top 25 opponents (ranked, 6,24,7,25,1,5) that's pretty strong. Because of that I will not be surprised if they beat Missouri & jump the Buckeyes.

Disclaimer: I got no dog in this fight & only looked at Auburn because of yesterdays game & was impressed with there year

I am impressed with Auburn's season, if they beat #5 Missouri next weekend, they would have face 6 teams ranked in the To 25, all 6 of those being in-conference games, 4 of those were ranked in top 7 when they played, there one loss was to #6 ranked LSU. They will play 9 conference games(including Championship game) & 6 of those games were against top 25 opponents (ranked, 6,24,7,25,1,5) that's pretty strong. Because of that I will not be surprised if they beat Missouri & jump the Buckeyes.

Disclaimer: I got no dog in this fight & only looked at Auburn because of yesterdays game & was impressed with there year

Georgia and A&M shouldn't even count. The fact they are still ranked is a joke.

So sec fans don't travel? The big house seats over 110k, the horseshoe over 101k, so its not a matter of ticket sales. Sponsors will still sponsor the NC game because its great pubicity. And I know the SEC doesn't set the location but I've said it for years now, bring that speed up north and see how they fair.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Really hope the Sun devils get revenge on Stanford and head to the rose bowl

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

The beautiful scenario will be if Missouri wins next week. Then we can watch SEC homers talk about their only loss being a 3pt double overtime loss to then #21 South Carolina when their QB was injured...and try to explain why Missou's schedule - which included OOC games against Murray State, Toledo, Indiana, Arkansas State and missed Bama, Auburn and LSU in the regular season - doesn't matter.

Sure do seem to be a lot of people already counting on wins next week for Auburn and Ohio State. Its a very real possibility that both teams loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back