Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Personally I think the j40 feel a little nicer, having had both. Had nippons in both. You can't go wrong with either, imo.

I would save my money and get the J38 dpc if you could find a set in good condition.

Friend I play with is a 15 handicap and plays the J38 DPC no worries. Blade length is fairly long on DPC so very forgiving.
Just bought a set here. Thanks for your feedback and information.

I recently re-gripped the irons and added three wraps to get them to fit me properly according to Lampkin. My first range session with them was tonight and it went really well. Simply stated, the feel and trajectory of these irons continues to impress.

I recently re-gripped the irons and added three wraps to get them to fit me properly according to Lampkin. My first range session with them was tonight and it went really well. Simply stated, the feel and trajectory of these irons continues to impress.

Very happy to hear that you are enjoying these clubs. I know I love mine.

Well my box of gloves wasn't the only Bridgestone package that arrived today. I also received my weapons of grass destruction, my beautiful J40 Dual Pocket Cavity irons. I ordered my irons with KBS Tour Shafts and lamkin crossline grips. I have to say, even though I have seen theses irons in person on multiple occasions, they still take my breath away with how stunning they are. Knowing that I was meeting my father in 20 minutes for a round of golf I quickly snapped some pictures so that I could get them out on the course. Once again a HUGE thanks to THP and Bridgestone golf for making Morgan Cup 2.0 an experience I will never forget.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

\
IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg
p
ddec- how do the kbs tour shafts compare to the project x shafts. I have previously played kbs tour and think that kbs tour 90 would be a prefect fit with the dpcs. I haven't tried the project x shafts and am worried that they may be too heavy for me. Plus where did you order your clubs from?

@Kchauv -

This isn't exactly apples to apples but I have the PX5.5s in my DPC 5-PW, I originally had KBS Tours in my Mizuno MPH4 3-5 irons and I recently installed KBS Tour 90s in the Mizunos. My impressions:

I was worried about the PX shafts but it turns out I really like them a lot in these heads. I came from 85g shafts previously and was concerned about the weight, too. At first I noticed they were heavier but they never felt heavy, if that makes sense. I got a big dose of control and stability from them that I didn't realize I wasn't getting with the 85g shafts. Trajectory is great for me through the 6i. Starting with the 5i I was getting a little lower trajectory than I would like. Since the shafts work great in the other clubs I think it is safe to conclude that's on me and my swing, not the shafts.

I bought the Mizzies with KBS Tour's in them. I didn't love the combo. Again, this is most likely me and my swing, but the shafts felt kind of heavy and dead to me. That sense of heaviness could also be attributable to the heads being different (as I said, not a precise apples to apples comparison). Whatever was going on, it was just okay.

Because of that I just installed KBS Tour 90's in the Mizzies. It is very early but so far it looks like a good move for me. I can feel that they weigh less and the trajectory is great. I almost wish I had these in the DPC's but I can't go quite that far because I really do like the stability and performance of the PXs.

This is coming from the other Shane (2 Shanep's on the coard is confusing lol) I wanted to do a combo set when I fisrt got my DPC's, I like the smaller profile head in the shorter irons, but at that time to do combo you would have had to do each iron individually and it was much more cost effective to get as a set.

Even though I am in love with s55's the DPC's are still my second favorite set of irons I have owned.

Frank I am glad to see yours are working out well for you

I think the reference to combo sets was that Bridgestone is now offering J40 DPC / Cavity Back combo sets. I think Shane was saying there's no reason to play the CBs because the DPCs are easier to hit, etc.

I can't speak to J38s vs J40s other than I think I remember somehow characterizing the 40s as being the culmination of everything Bridgestone learned about irons up through the 38s.

I play to a 16+ and was worried if the DPCs would be too much club (the longer irons are harder for me but 7i through the wedges are not a problem). You play to a 14. You will be more than fine. These are sweet clubs, I think you will like them.

so, I'm not afraid of the dreaded 5i anymore.. but there is that dang 4i...
was only able to get 2 or 3 rounds in before I broke my thumb, but if I recall correctly, the 2nd round I played with them, I hit something like 11 greens, and sat/sun when I hit the range a few times, I was piping em dead straight for the most part, and at my usual distances! can't wait for better weather..

so, I'm not afraid of the dreaded 5i anymore.. but there is that dang 4i...
was only able to get 2 or 3 rounds in before I broke my thumb, but if I recall correctly, the 2nd round I played with them, I hit something like 11 greens, and sat/sun when I hit the range a few times, I was piping em dead straight for the most part, and at my usual distances! can't wait for better weather..

I have the same issue with my 4i ! I can hit my 5i with no worries but I really hate my 4i - put in a 588 MT 4 iron bent weak to 22 last month to replace it.

I've only hit it once but I love the j40 4i....never hit one so easily and smooth in my life...ever

The 4 iron was my favorite club in the whole set

I've only hit it once but I love the j40 4i....never hit one so easily and smooth in my life...ever

The 4 iron was my favorite club in the whole set

Yeah it was strange, for as much as my swing was off it was the only club I really hit consistent that day

where do these fall under in the scale of game improving-ness (SGI, GI, players).?

where do these fall under in the scale of game improving-ness (SGI, GI, players).?

Imo I'd say half way between gi and players. ..maybe closer to gi

Imo I'd say half way between gi and players. ..maybe closer to gi

that's what I was thinking.. it's kind of confusing because the profile is like a players club, but they're so forgiving..

that's what I was thinking.. it's kind of confusing because the profile is like a players club, but they're so forgiving..

Yeah might be as close to a player's club as I ever get...and I'm ok with that

I've thought of them as a very forgiving players iron (I was reflecting on my last range session earlier today and how easy it was to hit draws and fades on demand; I starting thinking maybe I should give up on trying to hit it straight and just shape a shot every time instead).

I've thought of them as a very forgiving players iron (I was reflecting on my last range session earlier today and how easy it was to hit draws and fades on demand; I starting thinking maybe I should give up on trying to hit it straight and just shape a shot every time instead).

while very true, that might get scary..

I was loving the little push draw I was hitting today.. beautiful to watch..

ugh.. went to the range today, couldn't hit the 4i worth crap.. getting scared of the long irons again, that's not good.

Oh yes, they are here! Such a fantastic set of irons....that I'm oh so tempted to put into play this weekend.

null_zps2b7836a3.jpg

null_zpsa1c83484.jpg

These look yummy. Are those shafts R flex by chance?

These look yummy. Are those shafts R flex by chance?

They are R's in them. The Steelfibers also play about a flex stiffer than stated fwiw.

They are R's in them. The Steelfibers also play about a flex stiffer than stated fwiw.

I concur they certainly play stiffy

So much good information in here. I simply love my KBS Tour 90's but am eyeing the PX 5.5 steel or dare I say graphite? Love the graphite in my driver. If the steel fibers play stiffer than normal, then they are not for me. After the holidays, I am reaching out to Bridgestone for a quality Bridgestone fitter so that I can get some actual numbers and use the information to its fullest.

Already had a couple of good email exchanges with guys who were staffers and have first hand experience with these baby's. DPC me thinks for me.

JM

So much good information in here. I simply love my KBS Tour 90's but am eyeing the PX 5.5 steel or dare I say graphite? Love the graphite in my driver. If the steel fibers play stiffer than normal, then they are not for me. After the holidays, I am reaching out to Bridgestone for a quality Bridgestone fitter so that I can get some actual numbers and use the information to its fullest.

Already had a couple of good email exchanges with guys who were staffers and have first hand experience with these baby's. DPC me thinks for me.

JM

JM, the DPC's are def the way to go for you. The Steelfibers are stiffer than stated flex and low launchers, def not a shaft for everyone.

Lots of options though and I'm sure Bstone will take great care of you!

The Steelfibers are stiffer than stated flex and low launchers, def not a shaft for everyone

Definitely not for me then.....:act-up: I agree on the DPC based on what I have heard. Forgiveness seems better than my CB3's are now. For irons, my fitting goals will be to find the shaft that gives me the best launch and hopefully most carry with my swing.

For another thread, but I will be looking for information on the driver (445 cc), 3W and Hybos next:act-up: J40 wedges are already money in my mind.

Im so freaking pumped for this.

JM

Back