Sodakrep

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife wants to start playing. She has never played before so she has zero bad habits. I am a firm believer that in a technical game you need to have the right equipment so...

Do I buy clubs that are fitted for her even though she doesn't have a swing yet or get her playing and then buy her clubs?

You can't play without clubs but I don't want to buy clubs twice... Help me out on what you think.

I know it's novice but I don't trust a salesman at Austad's.

I would go with a cheap starter set.

I would talk her out of it.

Go with less expensive clubs and get her lessons. It has worked with GG and she now has been fitted for what works best for her game and has new clubs that she can be proud of that actually work.

wow that's a ton or responses in a short amount of time :clapp::clapp::clapp::clapp:

I really had no intentions on teaching her, she scuffed at the idea but in all honesty I can't play very well myself so why teach her my bad habits and she probably wouldn't listen to my "teachings" anyways.

When you say cheap starter set what are you thinking? The guy at Austads tried to sell me a Adams 13 piece set with bag for 600. Is that what you are thinking about cheap or a no name brand (copycat) style?

I would talk her out of it.
That's my advice..sometimes you just got to get away.And what if she starts kicking your a** at it.That could be depressing.

I started playing not too long ago and I just bought a full set. Actually, my very first set was a Junior set and who knoew :rofl: but I gave those away and bought a full ladies set..that's probably the way to go and then once she gets better, then you can invest in clubs that are totally fitted and everything!!

wow that's a ton or responses in a short amount of time :clapp::clapp::clapp::clapp:

I really had no intentions on teaching her, she scuffed at the idea but in all honesty I can't play very well myself so why teach her my bad habits and she probably wouldn't listen to my "teachings" anyways.

When you say cheap starter set what are you thinking? The guy at Austads tried to sell me a Adams 13 piece set with bag for 600. Is that what you are thinking about cheap or a no name brand (copycat) style?

I started taking lessons right away and still take lessons about every other weekend or so...that'd be your best bet :)

I got a full 13 club set with bag from Sport Chalet for about $199. The Wilson Hope LX set I have!

Could I put junior shafts in my Tommy Armour 845's and buy myself a new set?

That sounds like it could work!:beauty:

NOW you're talking! But I echo what the others have said, don't buy anything real spendy for her just yet because what if she tries and just decides she just doesn't really like it that much? Or that it's too hard? Then you'd have $ wrapped up in a set of clubs that you'll likely end up selling for a big loss.

Good luck and keep us posted!

HAa haa...I was having a hard time hitting with the junior set myself, they're bit too short haa haa

Go with a cheap sarter set, I started with the Acuity set from Dicks, it was like $199 came with the bag, hybrids, driver, irons, everything I needed. I paired that with a set of 5 lessons and that seemed to be the best way for me. I also do not recommend trying to teach her yourself that is a huge fight waiting to happen.

Go with a cheap sarter set, I started with the Acuity set from Dicks, it was like $199 came with the bag, hybrids, driver, irons, everything I needed. I paired that with a set of 5 lessons and that seemed to be the best way for me. I also do not recommend trying to teach her yourself that is a huge fight waiting to happen.

Oh yeah...:) the BF and I still fight on the course if he tries to teach me something or tells me otherwise haa haa haa

I bought my wife a starter set. She uses it from time to time. I am hesitant to get her a more expensive set until she decides to take golf a bit more seriously.

I think it is a good way to start.

Oh yeah...:) the BF and I still fight on the course if he tries to teach me something or tells me otherwise haa haa haa

Even though someone might have the best of intentions it seems a fight is almost a guarantee between a couple or spouses when one is trying to teach the other. Women can be extremely stubborn, and I know this is hard to believe, but we don't always take criticism well :shock: This of course isn't always the case, but if you can afford it, I say leave it up to the professionals.

Even though someone might have the best of intentions it seems a fight is almost a guarantee between a couple or spouses when one is trying to teach the other. Women can be extremely stubborn, and I know this is hard to believe, but we don't always take criticism well :shock: This of course isn't always the case, but if you can afford it, I say leave it up to the professionals.

Same here...that's what I tell him when we play. So lately, he said he'll only help me if I ask him for help :good:

I had some Wilsons for $200 or $300 for a year or two. You can certainly pay a lot less than $600 and still get a decent starter set.

I bought my wife a starter set from Target a couple years ago for right around $200. I would definitely go for a lower priced starter set than the $600 Adams one. She hasn't gotten into the game as much as I had hoped yet, but she does accompany me to the driving range sometimes. So with that, I'm glad I went with a lower priced starter set :smile:

Craigslist is good to find sets that guys bought for their wives but the wife didn't take to the game. We got Jacqui's set off Craigslist.

Yeah, I had a feeling that I should proabably go with a cheaper set cause losing 200 doesn't hurt nearly as much as 600. I might start looking into the shaft replacement though, cause my irons I have had them for almost 15 years now and I am sure technology has definatly improved or sell my irons on CL and then buy her a cheap set that she thinks looks pretty and I get a new set... Oh the choices.

Getting her lessons has always been in the plan, I wouldn't know where to start on teaching her.

Yeah, I had a feeling that I should proabably go with a cheaper set cause losing 200 doesn't hurt nearly as much as 600. I might start looking into the shaft replacement though, cause my irons I have had them for almost 15 years now and I am sure technology has definatly improved or sell my irons on CL and then buy her a cheap set that she thinks looks pretty and I get a new set... Oh the choices.

Getting her lessons has always been in the plan, I wouldn't know where to start on teaching her.

Check out the local courses, they have some teaching pros there...that's how I found mine :)

I'm a firm believer in having separate hobbies, I golf, hunt and drag race to get away from my wife. I've never tried to hide that fact and I don't invite her along to try and show her why I love doing those things. If she decides to take up the game of golf she needs to take lessons and find some friends that play.

Back