2014 Callaway Big Bertha Preview

Rip off of the slider, must say the headcover and the clubs colour is great

Ironically, their patent for the technology of the slider was first.
So is it first to market or first to have the idea?

February is a log time off,I'm going to need to play with this club much sooner. Initially I thought they they put a reg Fubuki shaft but it seems to be a solid offering.

JB your swing produces a nice trajectory, are you seeing the same out of this club? Is the shaft performing for you?

February is a log time off,I'm going to need to play with this club much sooner. Initially I thought they they put a reg Fubuki shaft but it seems to be a solid offering.

JB your swing produces a nice trajectory, are you seeing the same out of this club? Is the shaft performing for you?

Yes. In fact I prefer the shaft in the Bertha to that of the Alpha, but that is more of a weight thing I believe.

Before these drivers were revealed, I remember a comment that one driver would be considered more revolutionary while the other one would actually fit a larger portion of golfers. After watching the videos explaining the drivers, I understand this comment. While the Alpha is indeed revolutionary, I suspect that the Big Bertha will be the better fit for many, many more golfers. Of course, only a proper fitting will ensure that someone selects the correct one for them.

I am really looking forward to swinging these drivers -- a lot.

Nice looking stick...but trying to get my head around a Big Bertha with all of this technology (weights and shaft adjustments)??? :confused2:

I guess my problem is that when I think of the name Big Bertha...I think of the samll gray head (what were they like 300CC or less) and that great feel throuhg impact compared to the drivers of that time...but I guess technology will prevail...heck Amazon.com is talking about delivering your packasges to you in less than 30 minutes with a drone...:wtf:???

With the X Hot 2, Big Bertha, Big Bertha ALPHA and Optiforce it would be helpful if Callaway on their website provides an idea of what type of player would benefit from each of the models.

With the X Hot 2, Big Bertha, Big Bertha ALPHA and Optiforce it would be helpful if Callaway on their website provides an idea of what type of player would benefit from each of the models.
A guess...

Optiforce- light weight and aerodynamic for people that need to generate more SS

BBA - "better player's" driver...for those who will benefit from optimizing spin instead of dealing with directional issues.

BB - adjustability for those with directional issues.

x2Hot - ???

Rip off of the slider, must say the headcover and the clubs colour is great

Ironically, their patent for the technology of the slider was first.
So is it first to market or first to have the idea?
This stuff is silly. Even if TaylorMade came up with it first. What things today in general aren't a "rip off" of something made before? That's how this world evolves. Most things nowadays aren't "original" ideas. Gotta be able to build off of what's already out there.

This stuff is silly. Even if TaylorMade came up with it first. What things today in general aren't a "rip off" of something made before? That's how this world evolves. Most things nowadays aren't "original" ideas. Gotta be able to build off of what's already out there.

FYI, taylormade sliding weight patent predates mizunos and callaway's sliding weight patent predates taylormade's. All are very specific and narrow patents based on the general concept of moving/sliding weight systems.

FYI, taylormade sliding weight patent predates mizunos and callaway's sliding weight patent predates taylormade's. All are very specific and narrow patents based on the general concept of moving/sliding weight systems.

Yeah I realize that. I was saying that it doesn't matter who comes up with it first. If it's a good idea, other companies are going to build off of it, as they should. It's a benefit to the industry, and to us as golfers by giving us more options of cool toys :D

There is a 0% chance that this driver that I don't purchase this driver!

Totally Agree

Totally Agree

They were expected to lose 8 million in the 4th quarter and instead made 3.5 million. So the turn around has been dramatic with the launch of new products in the last 12 months.

Could not agree more - Chip Brewer is turning this thing around big time. Since the first bad quarter in Q1 2012, the stock is up nearly 60%. When you think of Callaway, what do you think of? Big Bertha!!!!! This was a brilliant move. I can't wait to get one to go with the set of Apex irons I ordered last weekend. Brewer did amazing things at Adams, and that was just a mediocre brand, Callaway and TM are like Apple and IBM - iconic brands in the game. Callaway's problem has been a direct result of the economy - is there anything more discretionary than a new set of clubs - of course they struggled, but I think really good things are ahead for the company and I think TM will begin to lose some market share this year - who doesn't want a Big Bertha something in their bag?

I'm really intrigued by the double launch of the Big Bertha and the BB Alpha at the same time. I'm curious if the drivers are aimed at different levels of golfers? Seems like the multiple adjustability of the Alpha is going to draw a lot more attention over this one. Obviously Callaway feels there is a business decision for doing so. Three new drivers out by one brand at the same time seems like a lot though when you add in the X2Hot. I expect will see a ramping up of Callaway fitting days at stores and courses to help make sales and get the right driver in golfers hands.

Edited to comment on Donne's post above: Actually forgot about the X2Hot Pro making 4 drivers out for winter release. Interesting.

I was just thinking the same thing. 4 drivers out so close together. Would love to hear the thought process as to which market they gearing each of these to.

I keep on staring at this one. Just staring.

I cannot get over how much I like the name coming back, it just screams at me.

You and me both. First time in awhile I have been excited to try out a driver....not to mention the other options Callaway is rolling out too.

You and me both, I had to get new underpants due to my excitement.
75DACF89-A854-4FD8-9483-5487C5C95879_zpsbbklfwek.jpg

I had the original BB, the Great Big BB and the biggest BB and now I can't wait to get the new BB.

Man that looks sturdy! Great looking driver from Callaway.

JB - I'd love to hear more thoughts on the Fubuki Zeta shaft if you have any. For example, I know they say it's a mid/mid launch shaft. For the loft you were playing this at, does that sound right to you. Being that this is a new offering even for Mistubishi, does the shaft remind you of how any others play (maybe a Miyazaki comparison)?

After watching the Callaway Talks episode on the Big Bertha's, I couldn't be much more excited to give this a swing when it is available.

JB - I'd love to hear more thoughts on the Fubuki Zeta shaft if you have any. For example, I know they say it's a mid/mid launch shaft. For the loft you were playing this at, does that sound right to you. Being that this is a new offering even for Mistubishi, does the shaft remind you of how any others play (maybe a Miyazaki comparison)?

After watching the Callaway Talks episode on the Big Bertha's, I couldn't be much more excited to give this a swing when it is available.

Sure thing. For ball flight, it offered something in between Miyazaki black and blue for me. Closer to blue. It does not feel the same to me as the Miyazaki lines that I have played, perhaps closer to the feel with the Matrix Red, with a slightly lower ball flight for me.

Sure thing. For ball flight, it offered something in between Miyazaki black and blue for me. Closer to blue. It does not feel the same to me as the Miyazaki lines that I have played, perhaps closer to the feel with the Matrix Red, with a slightly lower ball flight for me.

Now that is uber intriguing to me.

Now that is uber intriguing to me.

Appreciate the thoughts. Knowing how similar we are with driver thoughts, and that the Miyazaki Blue is as close as I've owned to a perfect driver shaft for me, I'm even more excited to try this one with that Fubuki Zeta shaft.

I love the looks of this new Bertha. I played the original Bertha for few years till the face cracked.
The Bertha is the only driver I have been able to hit off the deck. I can't wait to hit this one.

Back