Par 3's on tour, some just way too long?

i hate long par 3's

i hate long par 3's

Well said, good sir. I'm with you fellers.

I don't mind one per course requiring a hybrid or maybe a wood, but when every hole requires a 4 iron or longer - and on top of the extreme length seem to want water and bunkers and other penalties in abundance - it is too much and un-creative. Bad design imho.

Par 3's on tour, some just way too long?

I don't know if this has been covered before but I'm watching the Northwestern Mutual and the 8'th hole is playing 244yards! Am I the only one that thinks that's ridiculous? I agree these guys need to be tested but when you see tour players hitting 3W into par 3's something's wrong. It looks like it's pretty cool there and as such the fact the tee is elevated is negated by the colder air.
Anyone got opinions on this?

It seems like all the really famous and great Par 3's on tour are fairly short ones, so I don't know why they'd want a 240+ yard Par 3 anyway.

I don't know if this has been covered before but I'm watching the Northwestern Mutual and the 8'th hole is playing 244yards! Am I the only one that thinks that's ridiculous? I agree these guys need to be tested but when you see tour players hitting 3W into par 3's something's wrong. It looks like it's pretty cool there and as such the fact the tee is elevated is negated by the colder air.
Anyone got opinions on this?

Long par 3's are the only way to get guys on tour to hit long irons/hybrids/fairway woods on a hole except for when the guys are trying to go for a par 5 in 2. Like it or not, it's a way to protect par. I do like when there is a variety of lengths in par 3's on a particular course.

I agree with you. Because it makes courses make par 3's way too long for amateurs IMO. I agree they absolutely need to be test but like you said, having someone reach for a 5 wood or 3 wood for a par 3 is ridiculous, no matter what the level is.

244 seems a bit long for a Par 3 for anyone, even a Tour Pro. 230, IMO, is about the longest anyone of them need to be and still make it legitimate for a chance at birdie.

I don't like it. The US open course last year proved that par 3s don't have to be long to be tough.

Exactly, a birdie should never be guaranteed on any par 3 but come on, at least give them a chance.

Exactly, a birdie should never be guaranteed on any par 3 but come on, at least give them a chance.

Agreed, I'd much rather see a 110-120 yard par 3 with an absolutely ridiculous pin placement than a long par 3 with a fair one.

For some pros that's a 6-7 iron

TTing

Yes it is for "SOME" pros. SOME pros hit the ball 340+yards too. I'm saying that not one player has hit an irons into this green, even Tiger has just hit 5W.

Yes it is for "SOME" pros. SOME pros hit the ball 340+yards too. I'm saying that not one player has hit an irons into this green, even Tiger has just hit 5W.

It's not like every course they play as holes like this. They get paid good money (well, they win good money). Let them deal with a long par 3 once in a while.

And? Have players reached the green I'm regulation? Then it's fair.

If there's one every couple of weeks, I think it's a welcomed change. As Smalls said, it's not every par 3 or even every course they play that has one.

They're playing from the tour tees for a reason. What's the yardage for mortals to play that hole? According to the scorecard the tips at Sherwood CC are 165 yards on the eighth.

While my brief look at the 8th on Google Earth doesn't reveal a particular layup area, I figure being able to get a 240 yard shot to stick to a green is why they make the big bucks to play golf.

They're playing from the tour tees for a reason. What's the yardage for mortals to play that hole? According to the scorecard the tips at Sherwood CC are 165 yards on the eighth.

While my brief look at the 8th on Google Earth doesn't reveal a particular layup area, I figure being able to get a 240 yard shot to stick to a green is why they make the big bucks to play golf.

Don't forget that this weekend is a very limited and select few. I expect the best 1% of the 1% of golfers to handle a 5wood into a green.

I'm not against it. Plenty of weekend warriors out there hitting longer clubs into par 3's and they don't have anywhere near the ability of these guys.

I'm torn on this. I like to see the shorter ones with tough pin placements more, but do see the need for the longer par 3's now and then. It's definitely a test and why they're doing this for a living and we're not.

I don't mind seeing them have to hit a long iron every once in a while, some of those guys hit 5 irons 220 and the others are more than talented enough to get up and down in most cases from that distance. If I'm at a 244yd par 3, I'm at the wrong tee box.

Merged with existing thread

I'm okay with anything less than 200 (from the blues). the two par threes at my course that are 185-205 are both uphill but have fairly big greens, and there isn't anywhere to put the pin that's harder than another, so that makes it a bit easier to manage. but, par three's that are 240+, like one at another course near me, that's just stupid. I've played that course probably 40 times, and I've only ever pared that hole twice, that I can remember. it's just not fun..

So on the other side, how aren't short par 4s unfair? Or 600+ yard or 5s?

So on the other side, how aren't short par 4s unfair? Or 600+ yard or 5s?

Remember how I asked for opinions? I don't remember asking to start an argument.

Is anyone else watching the 190ish yard #15 eat these guy's lunch right now?

Back