Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to ask for a tablet for christmas. 7 or 8 inch only. Looking at the nexus 7 (3rd gen 32gb) mainly. Anything else I should consider? Price is the biggest factor (nothing much over $250), looking for a speedy device with 32gb or micro sd and smaller built in memory. I would also use the rear camera often.

Bump for assistance please.

JB has posted about his love for the Nexus 7 multiple times. There are details from him couple of pages back.

For the price, it appears that the Nexus 7 is impossible to beat.

I am going to ask for a tablet for christmas. 7 or 8 inch only. Looking at the nexus 7 (3rd gen 32gb) mainly. Anything else I should consider? Price is the biggest factor (nothing much over $250), looking for a speedy device with 32gb or micro sd and smaller built in memory. I would also use the rear camera often.

For the price you are looking for, the Nexus 7 would probably be your best bet. If you spread your budget out a bit, say to 300 that would bring in a few more to consider. Last year's iPad Mini(though no sd card) might be able to be had for that price even with 32gb. Also the LG G Pad 8.3 is 299 at Best Buy right now. That has an 8.3 inch screen, a micro sd card slot. That has a better screen than the one on the ipad mini. Search for deals and you can get the Galaxy Note 8 for 329 on Amazon. 8 inch screen and a micro sd card slot. Based on reviews battery life seems the same between the LG and the Galaxy 8. Best bang for your buck though is the Nexus 7. The screen is really good and the speed is excellent.

Oh and if you are a big amazon person that uses prime, don't sleep on the Kindle Fire HDX. Unfortunately the 7 inch does not have a camera, but the 8.9 does(but is more than you are looking to spend).

Looks like the nexus is the tablet to get. My family just got a new laptop- Dell Inspiron 15. Touch Screen, i5 4200, 6GB Ram, 500GB HDD for only $500. Loving windows 8(.1) with this touch screen.

Oh my, teaching my parents windows 8 is terrible.

Absolutely loving my Surface 2.

Now, I am pondering a return and upgrading it to the Surface 2 Pro, with full windows 8 on it.

Not sure if I need it or not, as Windows RT has been impressive to me so far, but the ability to load/download things outside of the Windows App Store is intriguing. If I were to move to the Surface 2 Pro, my laptop would become obsolete and be a "leave at work" device, 100%.

After using win 8 with a touch screen I wish I could just pop it off and use it like a tablet and then just snap it back into a keyboard when I need to. How quick is the surface 2? Can it handle youtupe in 1080P or higher? If it could do that I would definitely leave the laptop at work and use the surface even over those PCs that you can snap on and off.

Oh noise canceling headphones. You complete me.

Which did you go with?

I got some prior to going to Vegas, and dont know how I flew without them.

A pair of audio technica. They were inexpensive and lack some of the canceling ability but over the ear kills almost all ambient noise. It's amazing now and no discomfort from ear buds.

Which did you go with?

I got some prior to going to Vegas, and dont know how I flew without them.

Makes flying sooo much better

A pair of audio technica. They were inexpensive and lack some of the canceling ability but over the ear kills almost all ambient noise. It's amazing now and no discomfort from ear buds.

having ear buds in for a long time bothers the heck out of me.

I don't have the noise cancelling ones but I adore my Audio Technica's, REALLY good sound quality and more affordable than those damn overhyped Beats, at least mine were.

Nice. I was always an ear bud kind of guy, but got sold on a pair of Sol Republics after using them for a bit. Over the ear is definitely the way to go for noise cancelling, and doesnt cause the inner ear pain some get from using earbuds.

I keep telling myself I will get some over the ear noise cancelling headphones.. They would be a godsend at work as well as travelling.

Except my wife steals mine when we are traveling together...

Looking for a media player. My Asus HDP-R1 is starting to get flakey now and then. Need to have ISO playback for dvd quality playback and network connectivity. Anything else would be a bonus.

The Asus Transformer Book T300 looks like it is on par or better (for the right person) than the surface pro 2. If I didn't want to get into PC Gaming I would pick one up for my school laptop.

I'm pondering the Tablet decision as well, Seems to be between Surface 2, Samsung Note, IPad Mini.

War..Surface was the first I looked at, then I became worried that I'd be limited in the number of Apps (I guess the same can be said for Note) I really like the looks of the Note 3, and the size of the IPad Mini seems convenient.

My biggest use would be typing on Twitter while covering basketball games, right now I'm using a laptop, but I would like something a bit more portable. Also would be taking pictures and of course filming Vine/Instagram videos with it...(thanks JB).

So I'd love to hear what everyone likes/dislikes about these if you own them. Ryan, your comments about the Surface seem pretty good so far, but are you still in the honey moon stage...ha

The Note is definitely not lacking in apps. The Surface lacking apps is why we moved on from it.
In fact there are very few apps that are available for iOS that are not available for Android.

The Note is definitely not lacking in apps. The Surface lacking apps is why we moved on from it.
In fact there are very few apps that are available for iOS that are not available for Android.

Glad you have tried both. How do you find the Notes cover-keyboard as for ease of use.

We have the Note 3 phone. And the Note 8.0 tablet.
Neither have the cover keyboard.

We have the Note 3 phone. And the Note 8.0 tablet.
Neither have the cover keyboard.

Oh ok, my mistake. These all seemed to blend together when I was looking at them earlier this week.

Thinking back now I do remember the Note as a touch screen.

Thanks do much for the answer

I'm pondering the Tablet decision as well, Seems to be between Surface 2, Samsung Note, IPad Mini.

War..Surface was the first I looked at, then I became worried that I'd be limited in the number of Apps (I guess the same can be said for Note) I really like the looks of the Note 3, and the size of the IPad Mini seems convenient.

My biggest use would be typing on Twitter while covering basketball games, right now I'm using a laptop, but I would like something a bit more portable. Also would be taking pictures and of course filming Vine/Instagram videos with it...(thanks JB).

So I'd love to hear what everyone likes/dislikes about these if you own them. Ryan, your comments about the Surface seem pretty good so far, but are you still in the honey moon stage...ha
If Apps are what you need, do not go with the Surface. The reason I went with my surface is to be more of a laptop replacement, and the Surface 2 coming with full office on it was something I needed.

Being able to leave my work latptop at work, and still be fully functional at home with the Surface has been nice over the past week. If Apps are driving your decision, steer away from a Windows tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back