2014 Callaway Big Bertha Preview

I'm looking forward to your review, James. Especially the new Fubuki 60 shaft. I have always hit a heavier shaft, better, and would like to see if this shaft can perform.

I'm looking forward to your review, James. Especially the new Fubuki 60 shaft. I have always hit a heavier shaft, better, and would like to see if this shaft can perform.

Thanks dude, def eager to get out on course. Also, FWIW, the Bertha has the 50 in it.

Don't sleep on lighter shafts, lighter today DEFINITELY doesn't mean weaker. Graphite has come a loooooooong way.

Jman, is the new shaft a replacement shaft within the Fubuki line or completely new this year?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jman, is the new shaft a replacement shaft within the Fubuki line or completely new this year?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not sure to be honest, don't know a lot about it.

That said, some REALLY goof info/audio on it and the pairing with the head on the Callawaygolf.com website.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/big-bertha/?mcid1=100

Scroll down to the "Shaft Q&A" and give it a listen, GOOOOOOD stuff!

Not sure to be honest, don't know a lot about it.

That said, some REALLY goof info/audio on it and the pairing with the head on the Callawaygolf.com website.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/big-bertha/?mcid1=100

Scroll down to the "Shaft Q&A" and give it a listen, GOOOOOOD stuff!

Agree'd. Listened to those before. Just need to find info is this is closer to the K-series or Alphas. Either way, as a Fubuki fan, I'm super interested and love that it's a stock option.

Agree'd. Listened to those before. Just need to find info is this is closer to the K-series or Alphas. Either way, as a Fubuki fan, I'm super interested and love that it's a stock option.

I'm definitely interested to know more from a Mitsubishi Rayon point of view about it too, the entire Fubuki line is one I wish I'd spent more time with.

The Big Bertha is a monster. Easy to hit, and all it wants to do is mash a golf ball.

I took several swings with the 9* BB with the stock Fubuki shaft. Several swings I thought "oh, didn't get that one" and the result was still a high bomb that turned over between 2-5 yards. The couple that I did hit on the center -- distance for days, Son.

I did not play with the perimeter weighting. But I do think the BB will be a much more effective club for the vast majority of players. Easy, effortless, and distance. That's what this driver is all about.

I agree completely here Seth. I was able to hit it off a LM for a couple minutes and the results were astounding. The higher MOI of the BB head over the Alpha really played to my liking. I was hovering around 160 ball speed and I caught one off the toe. Started out right, drew back about 10 yards to just left of my target line and I didn't even look to see where it landed. Well, it came out with 157 ball speed and only 5 yards off my avg distance. Shocking results with this head. I am so amped to play this bad boy when there's no snow.

Well hello there, finally a little daylight without snow on the ground....

After following the #DreamTeam this weekend at #TheGrandaddy and hearing some tidbits about their experiences with this one at the ECPC I'm insanely eager to get it on course ASAP, hopefully tomorrow in fact. I wish the crown pic did it more justice, the DEEEEEEP metallic blue is freaking gorgeous. This is just a damn good looking driver.
Looks good, Jman! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Loving the I hand pics, that crown is incredible. I've never played a driver with any sort of movable weights so I look forward to hearing how the BB weights can be customized to affect ball flight! Hears hoping for some good weather your way Jman.

Looking forward to reviews from those lucky enough to test this club.
I don't get overly psyched about new driver releases but this one's got my attention! Heck, I might just buy it for the headcover and that cool falling apple logo.

I can see it now. Callaway merging technologies from both the BB and Alpha. The "core" idea has many possibilities. Imagine a continuously adjustable vertical weight in the core (designed like a screw), maybe contained by a spring loaded system on an axis allowing one to use a tool to raise or lower an internal weight...

Then add the sliding weight on the back...

OH MY, someone stop me!

Loving the I hand pics, that crown is incredible. I've never played a driver with any sort of movable weights so I look forward to hearing how the BB weights can be customized to affect ball flight! Hears hoping for some good weather your way Jman.

Looking forward to reviews from those lucky enough to test this club.
I don't get overly psyched about new driver releases but this one's got my attention! Heck, I might just buy it for the headcover and that cool falling apple logo.

I can see it now. Callaway merging technologies from both the BB and Alpha. The "core" idea has many possibilities. Imagine a continuously adjustable vertical weight in the core (designed like a screw), maybe contained by a spring loaded system on an axis allowing one to use a tool to raise or lower an internal weight...

Then add the sliding weight on the back...

OH MY, someone stop me!

Tonnes of great info on the core tech over in the Alpha thread

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?51120-Callaway-Big-Bertha-Alpha-Preview

Since the weather is doing battle with me on getting out to hit this right now, I was hoping maybe we could get some thoughts from some of the badass #DreamTeam guys who got to spend a little time with this one. I know several went Alpha in their fitting, but I know this one was still hit by many. I'm more intrigued by this driver tandem than I have been in a while, 2014 is setting up for a wild ride.

A couple of notes from Our talk with Doc Hoc. The sliding weight is the only one on the marked in this location. Callaway hold the patent on it. We talked to him about the "others" that have been available and basically he stated that the location is key to having the biggest impact on ball flight and trajectory. I watched several of our guys and those on the zoo crew use this driver with great success. Many of them said they have never had a driver that was so good. JohhnyRod's driver is a Big Bertha. He doesn't miss with it. Prior to this driver he said his driver was a huge weekends in his game. I'd be shocked if his index doesn't drop to sub 10 over the next few months just by changing to this. Harry plays it. And rarely did he miss all day Wednesday. Finley played this driver and he hit more fairways than I care to remember honestly. All three guys hit a medium high trajectory ball with the softest of draws. If your a high spin guy this driver is probably not for you. If your spin numbers are decent, and can get the right shaft pairing I'm sure you'll find the beauty to be beneficial.

A couple of notes from Our talk with Doc Hoc. The sliding weight is the only one on the marked in this location. Callaway hold the patent on it. We talked to him about the "others" that have been available and basically he stated that the location is key to having the biggest impact on ball flight and trajectory. I watched several of our guys and those on the zoo crew use this driver with great success. Many of them said they have never had a driver that was so good. JohhnyRod's driver is a Big Bertha. He doesn't miss with it. Prior to this driver he said his driver was a huge weekends in his game. I'd be shocked if his index doesn't drop to sub 10 over the next few months just by changing to this. Harry plays it. And rarely did he miss all day Wednesday. Finley played this driver and he hit more fairways than I care to remember honestly. All three guys hit a medium high trajectory ball with the softest of draws. If your a high spin guy this driver is probably not for you. If your spin numbers are decent, and can get the right shaft pairing I'm sure you'll find the beauty to be beneficial.

Dayuuummmmmmm I hope the tax man throws a wad of money towards my neck of the woods soon! I really like what I'm hearing here.

Bill, I've seen this dog hunt first hand! It's that good!

SO excited to finally get this one out tomorrow to see first hand what everyone has been talking about. Very curious about a of of things.

I was flat out impressed by this thing. Once I got it set where the fitter liked it I was seeing excellent launch and spin numbers with it. The sliding weight influenced my shot shape as well, as I saw when we adjusted it various ways to get the flight just right.

As with Callaway lately I think they flat out NAILED the sound on it as well.

You guys are doing a great job of making me drool down the front of my shirt tonight :devil::drool::drool::drool::drool:. Yep, I want to hit one of these puppies in a real bad way :thumb:

SO excited to finally get this one out tomorrow to see first hand what everyone has been talking about. Very curious about a of of things.

I think many of us are anxiously awaiting your thoughts as well....I am one of them.

I'm looking very much forward to your take on this one James. You always do an awesome job of coverage in your write ups. I like the looks of this model and paired with the right shaft, I feel like it could be a game changer.

Thanks for posting that Kevin.

As mentioned, we had the chance to really ask anything we wanted, and one of the questions to Doc Hoc was around the lines of, "you put out the sliding mechanism last and why is yours better?" (paraphrased)

First of all, their patent was first, so strike one for the keyboard warriors. The most interesting thing to me though was that by patenting it when they did, they sort of forced the other companies that wanted to use similar technology to put it in a place that was less effective.

Having the weight on the perimeter allows it to have a greater effect on both directional weight bias (draw/fade) and MOI (forgiveness). He basically said that the fact other companies introduced the technology to the market first wasn't a big concern to them, because there's works so much better.

I know JB has mentioned numerous times that this would likely be the better driver for most players, and hitting it/seeing others hit it in person drives that home. The guys I played most with were rocking this driver and they were just punishing us with it.

Good stuff Hawk!

Silly keyboard warriors, they will never learn. :alien:

Any of you guys that have had a chance to put the BB through the paces, how would you compare it to the AMP Cell? I understand each player has a different SS, ball speed, etc., but in terms of forgiveness, easy to hit & most importantly gains in yardage?

The BB has me intrigued, but with so much success that i've had with my AC, just wondering how it would compare.

Thanks & excellent inormation so far.

Any of you guys that have had a chance to put the BB through the paces, how would you compare it to the AMP Cell? I understand each player has a different SS, ball speed, etc., but in terms of forgiveness, easy to hit & most importantly gains in yardage?

The BB has me intrigued, but with so much success that i've had with my AC, just wondering how it would compare.

I think TexasHacker and jlukes can help you there. I've never actually hit the Cell somehow.

I can't speak for the guys who hit it at #TheGrandaddy but the AMP Cell was my gamer for most of the year, I should be able to draw some comparisons for you this week, in the 60's every day so I'll be playing every day. WHOO!

Back