2014 Callaway Big Bertha Preview

Oh Bertha, trust me, I have not forgotten about her.

So, I've been able now to get 3 full rounds on this one as well as two full range sessions and some things are crystal clear for me now, some serious and some not so serious.

1) I love saying Big Bertha. I never realized how much so, its just fun to say. Plus, after ripping a drive off or seeing one ripped you can say all kinds of cool things about Bertha :alien:

2) This is a truly good looking head aesthetically, the DEEP blue just looks astounding out in the sun and I think it was the right choice.

3) I'll say it again, I have never hit a driver with this kind of sound. Ever. Its addicting, solid, audibly pleasing, and it is impressive that Callaway actually managed to improve on the already tremendous sound of their last driver releases, but they have. I will say, that moving the weight mechanism (more on that below) DOES result in a slight sound change, but I expected that. Nothing drastic, but more noticeable in the fade position for me, the overall pitch changes.

4) I've played it with two different shafts now, the Zeta and the Diamana S+ for the sake of seeing comparisons. Even with the differences in shafts (and their flexes) the performance of the head stood out the most for me. I've been seeing a truly mid-high launch which IMO is a very good thing and the trajectory is never in danger of anything even resembling ballooning, just a nice all around ballflight up and down.

5) The cross face forgiveness on this one is impressive, really impressive, in fact there is more there than I ever expected. Callaway talks about it being a very High MOI driver and its evident, misses are still misses but no where nearly as penal as they were for me with the RFE or XHP last year. In fact, maybe even more than the Optiforce which was my gamer entering this review.

6) The slighting weight works, and it works quite well. I played with it in multiple settings and with a couple low handicap buddies who have pronounced and traditional ball flights (one fades EVERYTHING and the other is always a draw) and I had them hitting the driver without knowing where I was adjusting the weight. We successfully accentuated their natural flights as well as reducing them to the point of a "straighter" ball flight over all. I saw the same thing with my swing and have found that ttwo spots over in the draw settings is a good place for me.

7) Its long. I mean that, head to head with the Optiforce and a 9.5 XHP head all with the same shaft I was seeing about 7-9 yards more carry for me. That's big-big. Surprisingly so, heck just 2 yards is big in a driver. Now, will everyone see that? Likely not, but they aren't lying when they say the high MOI design has increased ball speeds off the face. Same swing, same effort, and more ball speed? Surprising and impressive.

Now, its undoubtedly the driver of the pair that is less "flashy" to some based on the Gravity Core being what is catching the most attention. However, I see why Callaway is saying this is the driver that will fit the broader margin of golfers and honestly it shouldn't be slept on, I really really hope it isn't slept on, seriously. Bertha is indeed back IMO.

I cannot wait to have this driver in hand James. The Alpha is awesome, but from a personal needs standpoint, this was the better driver for me.

Great info dude.

I cannot wait to have this driver in hand James. The Alpha is awesome, but from a personal needs standpoint, this was the better driver for me.

Great info dude.

You know, I try to stay...neutral...in these as much as possible. But, what I've seen with this one, makes it hard. They really and truly did deliver this year it seems.

I want to hit the Alpha badly, but I can't help but think this one with the S+ is the better option for me as well.

Great write-up Jman! While the Alpha has some awesome new technology I feel like this is the Bertha that will best fit me. Can't wait to demo this when it is released.

You know, I try to stay...neutral...in these as much as possible. But, what I've seen with this one, makes it hard. They really and truly did deliver this year it seems.

I want to hit the Alpha badly, but I can't help but think this one with the S+ is the better option for me as well.

i ordered the whiteboard 72 in mine. I'm chomping at the bit.

The standard big Bertha is solid. I am so so ready for mine to arrive. A shaft that's fitted for me and a driver that goes straight will hopefully help me get that handicap back down

Great write-up Jman! While the Alpha has some awesome new technology I feel like this is the Bertha that will best fit me. Can't wait to demo this when it is released.

The sliding weight really does make a difference in tuning the flight, I can see why they secured the rights to it where it is on the head. More effective for me than the SLDR was in flight alteration, but then again that head is just a bad all around fit for me.

i ordered the whiteboard 72 in mine. I'm chomping at the bit.

I love the sound of that combo.

It's why hitting both and getting fit properly is so important. Like I said in my #grandaddy review, the standard big Bertha gave me 3mph more ball speed than the alpha. Yet the alpha gave me an average of 15 yards more carry to to more optimal spin and launch angle numbers

I cannot stress a proper fitting enough. If you are just looking at clubhead speed and ball speed, it is not a proper fitting. The Bertha and the Alpha have enough adjustability to fit nearly anyone, it's just a matter of finding out which one works for you

Fitting is always important, I definitely agree that with the two drivers (3 really b/c I adamanty believe the Optiforce will still fit a margin of golfers extremely well) the entire gamut will be run. However, I also think it is going to be natural for average at home golfers to flock initially towards the Alpha over the Bertha for the sake of the flash that comes with the Gravity Core, we saw the same thing last year with the RFE, a driver that was for a much more specific demographic of golfers but it was the flashier choice.

Based on general specs and performance as these reviews always are I do agree with Callaway in that this will be the head that is best for a lot of golfers. Hopefully it is not overlooked, people just need to hit them both and see. Its very simple for sure.

hello you.

Haha! I thought you might be thinking that today...

Will this awesome specimen be making its way to FL in a few weeks?????

When I hit this at ECPC. It was crazy long! But I was hitting lunar shots with it! The sliding weight is crazy effective! I was actually hitting cutter lol

Will this awesome specimen be making its way to FL in a few weeks?????

Odds point to yes.

When I hit this at ECPC. It was crazy long! But I was hitting lunar shots with it! The sliding weight is crazy effective! I was actually hitting cutter lol

Haha, I can definitely see that for you dude. The natural spin rate and launch characteristics of this one would only accentuate that impressive ball flight of yours!

The crown to face contrast at set up is a huge plus for me. On both of these! Hammer Patches will happen!

The crown to face contrast at set up is a huge plus for me. On both of these! Hammer Patches will happen!

I agree, I love a black face on a driver, but man these just set up better with the silver face IMO.

James, if I remember right you were a HUGE fan of the sound produced by the OptiForce. That may have been my favorite thing about the OptiForce. If I'm reading this right you like the sound of the BB even better?

James, if I remember right you were a HUGE fan of the sound produced by the OptiForce. That may have been my favorite thing about the OptiForce. If I'm reading this right you like the sound of the BB even better?

You remember right buddy. I loved the Xhot, thought the Opti was even better, and the Bertha is just something else altogether for me. Its so damn unique that I struggle with comparisons, solid is what I keep coming back to. So solid sounding.

You remember right buddy. I loved the Xhot, thought the Opti was even better, and the Bertha is just something else altogether for me. Its so damn unique that I struggle with comparisons, solid is what I keep coming back to. So solid sounding.

When you hit one on the screws, like I said to you earlier, its just addicting. You want to keep producing that sound. I must have hit the darn thing 100 times at ECPC in Carlsbad. I just loved the noise it made

When you hit one on the screws, like I said to you earlier, its just addicting. You want to keep producing that sound. I must have hit the darn thing 100 times at ECPC in Carlsbad. I just loved the noise it made

I hate to keep coming back to the sound bc I know some people couldn't care less, but it gets interwound in one's head. Still feedback variances when you miss, and the weight placement definitely effects the sound, but even then its just...different. In a really good way.

I hate to keep coming back to the sound bc I know some people couldn't care less, but it gets interwound in one's head. Still feedback variances when you miss, and the weight placement definitely effects the sound, but even then its just...different. In a really good way.

When you touched on that it clicked in my head. I remembered that from my fitting. We started out in neutral and then moved the weight a couple clicks towards draw and it made an audible difference. Not a bad one, just different.

When you touched on that it clicked in my head. I remembered that from my fitting. We started out in neutral and then moved the weight a couple clicks towards draw and it made an audible difference. Not a bad one, just different.

Yep, I notice the biggest difference when its in fade settings.

I'm also convinced THIS is what a sliding weight mechanism on a driver should be. Its just the proper place to effect flight the most IMO.

Yep, I notice the biggest difference when its in fade settings.

I'm also convinced THIS is what a sliding weight mechanism on a driver should be. Its just the proper place to effect flight the most IMO.

I wish you could have been there to hear Doc Hock tell us why it was more effective than the others, it was so freaking cool

I have a really strong interest in this driver for some reason :D

Back