TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

I failed to mention in the PMs, but that one had been spine aligned before I purchased it. It is installed to be played at 10* spine aligned. I have since spine aligned my current shaft also, and while not a firm believer just yet, do believe there is some merit to it.

I see. I was playing it in the stock settings 10*/neutral asp/ neutral weighted. I will be hitting the course again on Wednesday to compare some more. It rained all day today and is supposed to continue for the next few days so i highly doubt i will be able to compare total distance for some time. As long as the results are the same as yesterday this will be in the bag. :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

The more I play this driver the more I love it. Once I get my GD shaft in and get rid of this light shaft I could seriously not look for another driver for a full year. I've been having trouble with distance the last couple of rounds because it's freezing cold and fairways are wet. Before today's round I raised the loft all the way up to 12 degrees to try and get the most carry possible since it's really all the distance you're gonna get right now. Night and day difference both in carry and my ability to smash the ball because the added back spin let me swing as hard as I can within reason and keep the ball close to it's line.

My 70 gram shaft should be here tomorrow or Thursday and I can't wait to see what I can do there. With heavier shaft I can usually let it rip. I don't really gain distance, just consistency.

Im just not making a confident swing. Ive basically forgotten my driver swing.

Sent from my iTouch using Tapatalk.
well hitting ice cold, rock hard range balls didn't give me too much feedback, and it almost made me feel like too much more of that might crack the face... not going to be hitting the driver much more til it at least gets above 50... til then, golf galaxy will be my friend. luckily everybody in there knows me and doesn't care if I use their launch monitor (as long as nobody else wants to use it)

Well i went out and played on wednesday to do some more comparisons between the AD-DI and Axe tour. Unfortunately testing only lasted one hole, the face of my R1 cracked on the second tee shot of the round. Guess thats just my luck. :(

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk now Free

Well i went out and played on wednesday to do some more comparisons between the AD-DI and Axe tour. Unfortunately testing only lasted one hole, the face of my R1 cracked on the second tee shot of the round. Guess thats just my luck. :(

How cold was it out?

It was around 40 degrees today.

Dude, that sucks. Hopefully TMAG has you back at it sooner rather than later.

That's brutal. The good news is that TMaG is rock solid on customer service so you are virtually assured of being taken care of.

Dude, that sucks. Hopefully TMAG has you back at it sooner rather than later.

Im hoping it wont take to long to be replaced, Im sending it out tomorrow morning. Looks like 3 wood off the tee for awhile.

Well gentlemen the 3 wood off every tee did not last long. As we know the face on my R1 black cracked a few days ago and i have sent it out to tmag to be replaced. I was thinking i would be without a driver for a few weeks but boy was i wrong.

Today i ventured over to my local Edwin Watts shop to look around. As many know Edwin Watts is closing many stores and the one near my house is one of them. As im looking around i see that they are selling the demo R1 drivers for $189 plus shoppers received an additional 19% off today. They were all the white R1 head which i am not a huge fan of so i thought "i'll just wait till tmag sends me a new head". I decided to take a few swings with it and immediately noticed that the shaft did not feel like a stock made-for phenom. I looked at the shaft and noticed it was a R1 TP motore speeder 6.2 tour spec in Stiff flex. I said there is no way they are gonna sell this shaft in that head for that much, so i asked and sure enough they did. I walked out of the store with a white R1 TP with a motore speeder 6.2 tour spec for ...........................

......................Wait for it................

.............$163!

If you guys have watts in your area you may want to swing on by and see what you can find. What a smoking deal. Driver is virtually mint with the only flaw being a minor chip in the white paint on the crown but is barely noticeable at address. I will see if i can grow to like the white head, if so the replacement i get from tmag will be up for sale.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387168198402.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387168198402.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387168215264.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387168215264.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387168225519.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387168225519.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387168236646.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387168236646.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
Sick, im looking for a heavier shaft for my r1 also

Absolutely excellent pickup mate.

Some guys have all the luck! Some do nothing but complain.

Today i ventured over to my local Edwin Watts shop to look around. As many know Edwin Watts is closing many stores and the one near my house is one of them. As im looking around i see that they are selling the demo R1 drivers for $189 plus shoppers received an additional 19% off today. They were all the white R1 head which i am not a huge fan of so i thought "i'll just wait till tmag sends me a new head". I decided to take a few swings with it and immediately noticed that the shaft did not feel like a stock made-for phenom. I looked at the shaft and noticed it was a R1 TP motore speeder 6.2 tour spec in Stiff flex. I said there is no way they are gonna sell this shaft in that head for that much, so i asked and sure enough they did. I walked out of the store with a white R1 TP with a motore speeder 6.2 tour spec for ...........................

......................Wait for it................

.............$163!
Dang, wish there was one in my area. Looking for TP shaft for my R1 but for that price would just snag the R1.

Has anyone gamed the R1 Super TP with the Oban White shaft? Curious to hear what people thought of the shafts performance.

I am probably going to purchase a new driver in the next day or two and the R1 is on my list, but the Amp Cell on the top of that list. I was wondering if anyone could compare and contrast the two based on having gamed both of them. I did scan through the thread, but didn't see that kind of side by side comparison. I know that shafts comes into play, but I am hoping for a stock shaft comparison as that is what I will be purchasing. Thanks!!!

I am probably going to purchase a new driver in the next day or two and the R1 is on my list, but the Amp Cell on the top of that list. I was wondering if anyone could compare and contrast the two based on having gamed both of them. I did scan through the thread, but didn't see that kind of side by side comparison. I know that shafts comes into play, but I am hoping for a stock shaft comparison as that is what I will be purchasing. Thanks!!!
Both are very good. The R1 has greater adjustability but the AMP has better sound. After that I think it is a matter of personal preference.

I've hit both JH... The Amp sounds much better, but for me, the stock fuel shaft is pretty much crap. The R1 is pretty good - main thing I didn't like was the sound to be truly honest. I definitely found the R1 to be lower launching.

Let's schedule a tee time soon and meet up and you can give my R1 a try if you'd like!

So glad to have a R1 headed back my way....I have definitely missed having it in the bag.

My r1 is a club I dont see leaving my bag for a long time. Im not as long as some others, but I hit it so well and accurate...

They are both excellent drivers. I'd give them both a whirl to see what you think. For me the Amp Cell was longer but the R1 was straighter from the get go. I thought the shaft in the Amp Cell was just whatever. I actually had a shaft on order when I fell in love with the R1, so it ended up in that driver. I also like the added adjustability of the R1 over the Cell. It's helped me dial it in pretty well I think, though I could probably benefit from a full on fitting. Even with the new shaft, I still think the Amp Cell is the longer driver of the two but I'm just so much more consistent directionally with the R1.

Both are very good. The R1 has greater adjustability but the AMP has better sound. After that I think it is a matter of personal preference.

I've hit both JH... The Amp sounds much better, but for me, the stock fuel shaft is pretty much crap. The R1 is pretty good - main thing I didn't like was the sound to be truly honest. I definitely found the R1 to be lower launching.

Definitely like the sound of the Amp Cell better, and I found the R1 to be lower launching as well. FWIW, I played the Amp Cell at 10.5˚ and the R1 is currently set at 11.25˚.

Some info on golf store simulators, guys I just hit the r1 at the new pga super store in westbury ny and also at golfsmith in the city at pga super store it was reading 96 to 100 mph swing speed ballspeed at low 140's and carry 250 yards total between 264 and 274 for me that's way long and fast then I went to golfsmith and these were the readings swing speed between 86 and 90 ballspeed low 130's carry between 190 and 210 total 220 to 236 yards so at pga super store I ask the salesman is this thing cranked up or what he said they use a cheap simulator that's about the same grade as a home bought system his says you should only look at backspin numbers and launch angle with are sim which were great with the r1 low 2000's and 15 and 16 degrees I also hit my burner superfast 2.0 and seen 3500 spin and 18 degrees at both stores, so anyway r1 was spining a lot less with better launch the only thing is the feel a lot heavier then my club and a little clunky at impact but I will most likely put one in the bag thanks guys

Some info on golf store simulators, guys I just hit the r1 at the new pga super store in westbury ny and also at golfsmith in the city at pga super store it was reading 96 to 100 mph swing speed ballspeed at low 140's and carry 250 yards total between 264 and 274 for me that's way long and fast then I went to golfsmith and these were the readings swing speed between 86 and 90 ballspeed low 130's carry between 190 and 210 total 220 to 236 yards so at pga super store I ask the salesman is this thing cranked up or what he said they use a cheap simulator that's about the same grade as a home bought system his says you should only look at backspin numbers and launch angle with are sim which were great with the r1 low 2000's and 15 and 16 degrees I also hit my burner superfast 2.0 and seen 3500 spin and 18 degrees at both stores, so anyway r1 was spining a lot less with better launch the only thing is the feel a lot heavier then my club and a little clunky at impact but I will most likely put one in the bag thanks guys

Wow dude! Not the grammar police here but... that read like one run on sentence lol. Glad the club worked for you though! And yea, I don't put a whole lot of stock in simulators. If I truly want to know the real stats, I'd go with at least a zelocity. And probably a flightscope or Trackman.

R1 came today....compared it to the R9 that I absolutely love and it feels close. For those of you shaft experts the r9 is a 60g aldila stiff stock shaft, and the 55g phenom stiff stock shaft. To the average golfer like me will there be a noticeable difference at all or should the swing pretty similar. Im obv going to hit it a bunch whenever I get the chance I just thought id ask what you guys think

Back