The New Callaway Golf - Your Thoughts

I think they are on a great path!

Back in May I was on a hunt for a driver. I basically decided on the Titleist and wanted to hit it on the range at the Ultimate Weekend.

Well, fast forward to driver fitting and lessons with Freddie and the RFX found my bag! Best driver I've ever bagged by a long shot. The Optiforce is also at the top of my want list right now. I'd love to swing one with my black tie in it.

Their new irons are crazy good! The Apex irons blew me away at the Ultimate Club Testing and so did the SR balls. The only clubs not Callaway are my wedges and putter. The putter will change this season though to the new milled series from Odyssey.

I think Harry and the ZooCrew are awesome! Meeting Matt at the UCT was also a treat. He was so down to earth and genuinely cared about us average Joe's. It was super cool of them to treat us the way they did.

I've really enjoyed following Callaway as they have really reinvented themselves over the past couple years. I'm loving the way they have fully embraced the every day golfer as well as the Tour Pro with how they've taken social media by storm, and they certainly have innovative minds in R&D.

Not so long ago Callaway were quickly headed to a lesser player in golf equipment demand and sales . 2013 and 2014 products are bring them back to the top and going to give TM all the can handle .

My bag for 2014 will be mostly be Callaway , fairways x-hot or bb , irons Apec or x-hot pros 2013 model, and wedges , out side chance maybe driver .
gb

I am a fan of Callaway but I guess I will stir the pot a little. I think they are starting to over sell/over market their product. They have way too many balls to figure which one you should play.

Just curious what you deem too many? Taking a quick look at their competition, Titleist has 6 to choose from. Callaway currently has 5, but they've yet to announce what's being discontinued when they release their new line. Bridgestone has 8. Nike has 8. Taylormade has 4. Srixon has 7.

Customer engagement and Employee engagement are everything. One of the things Callaway has done is make it really fun to work there again. I interviewed someone a few weeks ago that had worked for Callaway for a long time. He was let go when Callaway had to downsize to get profitable. They let go 500 people. That is never an easy decision. That being said we talked a lot about his time there. I could see in his eyes and hear in his voice that he wanted to be there now really bad with the direction they are going.

Now I got to have to 2 great examples of what I think Callaway is doing right. When I went and video'd my for Instagram where I was literally sitting outside their front door. I had a ton of people come up and ask if I needed help and then when they saw what I was doing they would fall over laughing and then promise not to tell Chad. I had people offering to help even. While I was at another Company in San Diego I filmed some other stuff. They literally had the entire marketing team outside taking a team picture. I had people watching me film and they never said a word to me. I had a few come up and look at what I was doing. I then had one person ask what it was. I explained to them and the response I get is. "o we are the marketing team" that was it. Kinda blown away at the lack of engagement. That being said I think that is one of the things Callaway is doing right.

They get customer engagement, they also have a very clear plan about what they are doing with people on Tour. Because at the end of the day the need US to buy equipment. They have revamped the product line. I do wish they would do more with Apparel. I am excited to see the new shoes. Cause they look sexy. They have converted me and I just started 3 years ago. Social media is necessary and viable. They are now no longer behind but they are 5 years ahead of the competition on that front. I hope they keep it up.

My opinion

the bb product line is ugly. The x2 line is ugly. The bright light is the apex irons, they are nice. I feel their social media is annoying but can appreciate what they are trying to do. They may be a new callaway but TM still has a substantial lead on them. Looks for some are irrelevant, and that's fine. The x forged from last year were top notch and the best irons they have made. I just do not think they are 'there' yet.

Exp- the BBA is a relatively complex design that the average golfer will have prob getting full potential out of. Some players equate best with price. This driver has a high price point but is complicated for many. The bb also has some neat things going but will suffer because not every golfer will want to pay the price for something they may never use. The bread wi. Er is the x2 but it fails on looks. Let's compare that to the TM line or nike. Both appear more simple and at a sameish price point. I feel cally has all the hype but the average golfer won't like the substance.

Lots of choices for irons, some at good price points other not so much. From what I see if they are offeri g extensive shaft offerings, they had best be supporting their reps with excellent fittings carts to help justify the money over their competitor.

they are coming along but not there yet.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm now an unabashed Callaway homer. After being up close and personal with their products and their people, it's nearly impossible not to be.

With that said, this year's Callaway lineup is the only one that I've really enjoyed up and down the bag. I have my favorite clubs from each manufacturer, and I also tend to have some clubs that I don't like from each manufacturer. This year's lineup is different. The drivers, FWs, hybrids, irons, wedges and putters are all beyond solid. I think some of them (particularly the Big Bertha drivers, milled putters and Apex irons) will be industry leaders and innovators. In other words, I think clubs will start to fundamentally change because of these particular clubs.

Callaway's personnel also gives a sense that they truly believe in their brand. Everyone has marketing departments. But, Callaway is different because their employees reach out and show their genuine interest and belief in their work. You just get the feeling that Callaway is heavily invested in trying to make cool, new golf products that make golf easier and more fun.

I have to say that I haven't always been a huge fan of Callaway, but the past couple of years have totally changed my mind. I bought new X forged irons this year over Mizuno MP-64s and I've been a Mizuno fan boy in all sporting goods for as long as I've been playing golf. The new BB Alpha is probably the most revolutionary design I've seen in a driver. The best thing I can think to say about the new Callaway is they just get it.

As I think about it, Callaway didn't just change the way they attack the market. But the 2013 releases and the (it appears) the 2014 line backup their marketing efforts.

Their product line makes more sense. There is a flow to their product. The looks are progressing and taking chances. I like that.

However, with all of their new looks, marketing strategy, and revamped designs, a Callaway driver still has a distinct sound and feel. No matter the paint job or age you can ways tell that there is a Callaway driver on the range just by the sound you hear.

They're setting the bar for consumer interaction throughout Twitter, Instagram & forums like THP. If you have a question, just throw it up and they'll get you an answer quickly. They're readily available and inviting.
They're bringing a ton of top notch offerings to the marketplace. The X Hot line was very well received & now the X2 Hot, Apex irons, Mack Daddy wedges and the new ball lines. How can you forget bringing Bertha back? We, the buying public, have a multitude of options and that's never a bad thing.

I really try to support Callaway when I can, but if I am being completely honest, I was more excited for their product line last year than this year. Everything just made my jaw drop. That, however, is no knock on this year's items. I just really loved everything that they released last year. The RFE, Xhot, X-forged irons, and MD2 wedges were all just phenomenal. I just know that anytime I go to buy new clubs, Callaway gets one of the first nods in the hitting bay.

I am excited about the new line. I've always been a Callaway fan and I like that they are making something for everyone. Of course you can't please everyone. But I'm looking forward to a few of their new products.

...The new Callaway in my opinion is geared on two great principles…innovation and communication.

You nailed it, IMO. A lot of things can be said about how Callaway has transformed, but these two items you mentioned are at the top of my list of reasons.

Exp- the BBA is a relatively complex design that the average golfer will have prob getting full potential out of. Some players equate best with price. This driver has a high price point but is complicated for many. The bb also has some neat things going but will suffer because not every golfer will want to pay the price for something they may never use. The bread wi. Er is the x2 but it fails on looks. Let's compare that to the TM line or nike. Both appear more simple and at a sameish price point. I feel cally has all the hype but the average golfer won't like the substance.

Question for you about the bolded: Did, in your opinion, TaylorMade's technology in their SLDR hamper their sales?

I think Callaway's approach to getting in touch and keeping in touch with the average consumer via social media is great for those who might feel confused about the features of their equipment...case in point, right after the #Grandaddy, Harry Arnett answered a query on this forum about how each driver in their 2014 lineup benefits different kinds of golfers.

One thing I'm very curious about when it comes to Callaway is the tour players they have in their stable. I could care less myself but tour players sell a lot of clubs. Who is going to replace Phil? Ernie and Furyk are the biggest names they have besides Phil at the moment. Their marketing team is phenomenal but they will need another big name sooner rather than later. My opinion is that they will get that name but time will tell.

Chip Brewer is the difference that had the vision to "right the ship" (pirates, see what I did there?). He came in and said no more cutting corners. He said make the best product we can, and be innovative. Case-in-point, in our discussions last week at The Grandaddy, during our Q&A, Chris Koske pointed out a limitation of the past. Apparently, Odyssey could have about twenty to 30 putters to go with and the old CEO would come in and say, "Pick seven!"

The head of the company was holding back innovation and quality. What happened? They fell off the map, per se. In comes Chip, creates the new vision and the STANDARD by which they will now live, and now, BOOM! Innovation and quality and great products are everywhere! Look at Odyssey: Versa, Tank, Metal X, X Milled, etc! Great putters up-and-down the line and all kinds to give more choices to consumers. But, quality is the cornerstone of all of them.

Insert Harry and the ZooCrew, Dr Hocknell not being held back, etc, and they are ahead of pace to challenge all OEMs in EVERY category!

Amazing what a vision can do...

From a player and fitting perspective, I'm torn on the new Callaway. Some of the more aggressive claims (say the added distance XHot campaign) are over the top, with an inch of fine print to explain the numbers. This hurts from a fitting perspective when I cannot beat a customer's 2 year old 3 wood by 10 yards with the XHot.

I've hit on Trackman just about everything new for 2014 and while a few are incremental improvements, I'm not seeing anything that are game changers for me. The Apexes are nice but not revolutionary and the cost has been a huge issue in our shop (in the 5 iron fittings I have done since their release, no one wanted to consider them because of price). The lines are starting to get jumbled for customers and the higher prices suggest a stronger economy than has reached our nook of the world.

Additionally, their custom builds over the past two years have been among the worst of the OEMs. We check every order that comes in and they have made errors in about 15% of the builds. Some are minor (wrong grip) but we had a set ordered at 2 up come in 2+ flat and also two orders had the wrong shaft stiffness.

On the flip side, at least their lines are progressing. I'm not sure that the later X irons lines really could beat the x16s for example (which are what my high school daughter plays in her varsity matches). The XHot 2 line is more forgiving than the earlier Xs with better launch. Not sure on the Big Bertha drivers (need more Trackman time) but last years' Callaways drivers were at least competitive, which they had not been in years. The Xhot fairways and hybrids were among the two best in just about every fitting I did last year.

Watching Callaway go from a company that I couldn't care less about and knowing that their equipment was for me usually in the middle of the pack to a just demo and can't wait to see what they come out with next type of company in just the last few years has been amazing. It's nice to see them make such a huge turn around and says a lot about the leadership over there. Now about the equipment I know Harry kept saying when I was saying how great the 2013 stuff was to "just wait till you see the 2014 line" I was a little hesistant to think how much better it could be. But I think they did it at least on an innovative stand point and looks and marketing. I havnt hit anything from this years line and there's a lot of their line this year that fits my game pretty well so it'll be interesting to see how much better if at all it is compared to last years line but I know like I said before it's a must demo company for everything that they have come out with this year from drivers to putter and balls. I know the apex pros are at the top of my iron ponder list I need to see numbers on the Bertha and the new milled metal x #1 will find a place in the rotation if I like the feel.

I’m very impressed. I bought a XHOT driver and 4Hybird a few months ago and I love them. I’m in the market in the new year for a new 3 wood (BB or XHOT deep), 3Hybrid, (XHOT2) and dare I say it….. a new set of Irons, not sure between the XHOT and X HOT2. So, I for one can't wait for 2014.
Nudge Nudge, wink wink, would be glad to be chosen as a tester for any of the above :wink:!

Last edited:
One thing I'm very curious about when it comes to Callaway is the tour players they have in their stable. I could care less myself but tour players sell a lot of clubs. Who is going to replace Phil? Ernie and Furyk are the biggest names they have besides Phil at the moment. Their marketing team is phenomenal but they will need another big name sooner rather than later. My opinion is that they will get that name but time will tell.

Big Easy is leaving this uncoming year. I think they'll pick up a guy or two more over the next two years inside the top 25 in rankings.

I skimmed the thread a bit, so I'm sure these sentiments have already been expressed - I like where Callaway is headed, for the most part. A lot of it has to do with the people there, and especially the marketing crew. I've emailed and tweeted at them at times with questions or comments, and they've responded nearly every time. To the average golfer, playing the products of a company that takes their time to talk with it's users is HUGE. They've done a fantastic job of rebranding themselves, from what I understand their image was just a few years ago.

The Apex irons are beautiful, the new Big Bertha.... not so much, at least from what I've seen in pics. It seems like most golfers are aware of the big players (vs the lesser recognizable nowadays like Nickent and Wilson Staff), and they have to do what they can to set themselves apart, so the marketing angle is a big part of that along with the new equipment advances. I just don't want them to release new gear every 4 months with even loftier exclamations of how much better it is.

I've owned so much Callaway product going back to the mid-90's. The only things I never bought were forged blades but every other driver, fairway wood and iron launch between 95 and 07 was in bag upon release. From 08 to 12 my buys of their product were few and far between. Now I have the old Callaway release excitement again. Some of their stuff probably won't fit my game but that won't stop me from at least trying it. The spectrum of top notch offerings they have in the mix is incredible and tough not to get excited over.

I skimmed the thread a bit, so I'm sure these sentiments have already been expressed - I like where Callaway is headed, for the most part. A lot of it has to do with the people there, and especially the marketing crew. I've emailed and tweeted at them at times with questions or comments, and they've responded nearly every time. To the average golfer, playing the products of a company that takes their time to talk with it's users is HUGE. They've done a fantastic job of rebranding themselves, from what I understand their image was just a few years ago.

The Apex irons are beautiful, the new Big Bertha.... not so much, at least from what I've seen in pics. It seems like most golfers are aware of the big players (vs the lesser recognizable nowadays like Nickent and Wilson Staff), and they have to do what they can to set themselves apart, so the marketing angle is a big part of that along with the new equipment advances. I just don't want them to release new gear every 4 months with even loftier exclamations of how much better it is.

Just wondering if you had an example of this?

Besides the introduction of the Optiforce driver, which was a completely new line, Callaway hasn't released anything since last February and with none of the new lines being released until the new year, that's a full year release cycle.

Even though GG said be detailed as we want, I'll try to keep this just under a novel :)

The New Callaway:
I think it begins at the top..meaning Chip Brewer. He has done what good leaders will do, hire good, smart people and let them do what they know how to do. See, Arnett comma Harry and Hoc comma Doc. You don't see Chip on social media, and other than a few Callaway Talks you don't see him out in front of the camera a lot.

He hired Harry for that role, and has let him become the "Face" of Callaway so to speak. Harry has said that Chip basically took the reigns off R&D and told them to desgin what they felt the consumer needed and wanted, cost be damned.

Also he (Chip) apparantely has very open diaglouge and meetings with all the managers, he encourgages them to speak their mind and differ. Harry may have told you guys in CA a story about one of his first meetings with Chip and how he spoke his mind, before he had basically even unpacked his office.

That leads to the rest of the Zoo Crew, I won't go through them name by name, as many of the Dreamteam summed that up already. But I was actually thinking this exact thought the other day. I can't think of another product I use, where the members of the marketing team, reach out on Social Media to the extent that Callaway does. I mean I can't tell you the name of of one person in Panera, Nordstrom, Apple etc, all some of my favorite companies. All offer a great product, but as far as I know don't do much at all on social media. Why is golf different?

About a year or so ago, I was interacting with Harry on Twitter about the new (2013) line coming out. I mentioned I was going to be in CA after the first of the year on business. He invited me to stop by the office, meet some people and have lunch, and hit some of the new line!!

So I did, unfortuanately my schedule didn't allow me to have lunch so it was a late day arrival and Harry was tied up with Chip. Chad came out and we chatted a while, then he took me down to the fitting studio and set me up with Ross. We went through a full fitting, drivers, irons and fooled around with the putter.

I went back to Chad and hung out with him and Matt for a while. They were waiting for Harry to come out and they were going to do a Callaway Talks video, and said I could sit in and watch. Well Harry and Chips meeting went long and Chad and Matt decided to hang it up for the day.

The Product: I ended up with a bag full of X-Hot irons, hybrid, 3W and Driver. I loved them immediately and was hitting irons as well as I had in the last 6 or 7 years. The XHot driver was great, nice high flight and probably picked up a good 10 yards over my previous driver.

Over the summer I picked up the Optiforce FW and then the Driver. I was in heaven and told Chad that I couldn't imagine having any better clubs. He todl me, wait until you see what we have in 2014. Of course he was tightlipped and didn't say a word other than it was going to be better than the 2013 line. Imposible I told him. he just said, you'll see.

Well based on the review out of the Grandaddy and comments from the testers, he was right. I'm sure I'll be giving a strong look at the 2014 line and consider putting it in the bag.

But to sum it up, I love the "New Callaway" It starts with the people, and is backed up by a great product.

Last edited:
Back