Yonex XP Irons - THP Review Thread

Is the tungsten powder weight set standard to 20g throughout the set? Are there options for less or more weigh based on fitting results? It seems that Jakes set has a bit of a thinner top line, but that could be in the photos?

From what I can tell both sets of iron heads should be identical. It's probably just a slight difference in the angles I'd bet.

Yep, the heads are identical. The set Jake is using simply aren't backweighted like the graphite ones are.

Just got home after a round with these in the bag.

Initial thoughts? High and LONG. I'm talking some silly distances for me at times, but we will see if that continues. Off the face the impact sound is quite pleasant and I was really pleased with the turf interaction I was getting with the soles being on the larger side, its a very good thing to see with my swing as I like to take beaver pelts.early thoughts on misses toe side are impressive, seem to be in line with some of the best sets I've played in regards to that miss. Audible feedback is pretty muted, not a tond of difference for me on where I miss (some, but not substantial like a S55 or AP2, but that is to be expected IMO).

The real star early for me are the shafts and the backweighting. They just respond the best to smooth yet focused swing and launch the snot out of the golf ball, incredibly balanced through the swing from a hand-feel perspective. The launch is something else, could turn the ball left and right, but they just want to go high and far so far.

Sounds promising. I am a fan of words like smooth, high, and long.

Sounds very very intriguing. I'm becoming a big fan of high, long, and forgiving. Good early thoughts on what the shafts like.

Sounds promising. I am a fan of words like smooth, high, and long.

Sounds very very intriguing. I'm becoming a big fan of high, long, and forgiving. Good early thoughts on what the shafts like.

Yonex has always made quality graphite shafts, I was eager coming into this to get to experience their iron shafts, another example of how lightweight doesn't mean weaker flex. High launching but held up to my swing extremely well.

Good stuff Jman, these scream high and long before you even hit a golf ball and it's good to hear that translates to the course.

Unfortunately work got in the way of my plan of getting some swings in with these today. Going to shoot for tomorrow though.

Good stuff Jman, these scream high and long before you even hit a golf ball and it's good to hear that translates to the course.

Unfortunately work got in the way of my plan of getting some swings in with these today. Going to shoot for tomorrow though.

I'm going to get out with them again today, I'm quite eager to. Forgot how pain free I feel after rounds using graphite.

I gained some pretty considerable carry distance yesterday on the course, all that undoubtedly comes back to the ball flight I was getting, it was pretty.

I'm going to get out with them again today, I'm quite eager to. Forgot how pain free I feel after rounds using graphite.

I gained some pretty considerable carry distance yesterday on the course, all that undoubtedly comes back to the ball flight I was getting, it was pretty.

Good stuff buddy. Sorry if I missed it: what's the weight on the shafts?

Good stuff buddy. Sorry if I missed it: what's the weight on the shafts?

I'm honestly not sure Cookie, its something I've been meaning to contact them and ask about.

I'm honestly not sure Cookie, its something I've been meaning to contact them and ask about.

I see online that they call it a lightweight and counterbalanced shaft so I would have to think sub 80g at least to be considered lightweight.

I see online that they call it a lightweight and counterbalanced shaft so I would have to think sub 80g at least to be considered lightweight.

I agree, I just can't find any hard numbers on them. I know they have a D0 swingweight and definitely feel light and smooth through the swing. Still an astounding amount of balance int hem though, I credit the backweighting and the added weight to the heads.

I agree, I just can't find any hard numbers on them. I know they have a D0 swingweight and definitely feel light and smooth through the swing. Still an astounding amount of balance int hem though, I credit the backweighting and the added weight to the heads.

That's another exciting aspect to these....I loved the back weighted Boccieri hybrids.

Good initial thoughts Jman. So you noticed the back weighting that much huh? That's intriguing.

Good initial thoughts Jman. So you noticed the back weighting that much huh? That's intriguing.

In the sense that you can tell they are balanced through the swing differently, the balance point is actually a bit further up the shaft. Not in the sense that there felt like a ginat weight was in the back end of the grip, that wasn't the case at all.

You'd probably like the hybrd Cookie, with your Boccieri love. It's not so weighty a club.

In the sense that you can tell they are balanced through the swing differently, the balance point is actually a bit further up the shaft. Not in the sense that there felt like a ginat weight was in the back end of the grip, that wasn't the case at all.

Yeah that's the way I took it. Intriguing in a good way.

You'd probably like the hybrd Cookie, with your Boccieri love. It's not so weighty a club.

And it looks badass, so that helps.

This is true lol.

Get over in that thread and tell us more. FW too. JMan, you been hitting the driver?

If my irons weren't safe these would be the 1st to be tested of this year's offerings.

Get over in that thread and tell us more. FW too. JMan, you been hitting the driver?

If my irons weren't safe these would be the 1st to be tested of this year's offerings.

Stay tuned later tonight or tomorrow and will do. With the trip last week I'm just finally getting caught up. I haven't touched a club since then, which is very rare for me.

I'm actually starting to put some words down in the review for the driver right now. Finished up answering some of the questions I had for it yesterday. But I'll get more into that in that thread here in just a bit :alien:

Cool, looking forward to the write up! Have a few Yonex hybrids now but they are regular flex. Need to give them a go even with regular me thinks.

No reason not to Cookie.

Just getting caught up on this thread and had a few questions: with the counterweighting in the grip as a fundamental part of the club design, does that limit regripping options? Also, with a D0 swing weight, is there going to be a large change in feel going to wedges which typically have a higher swing weight?

Liking the comments so far, James, but I agree with others that even if this is the best set of the year I probably won't be able to find them anywhere.

Back