True Temper XP95 and XP105 Review Thread

I would be interested in trying the 105g version as I currently play the DG XP's @ 117. I wouldnt mind a slightly higher trajectory.

From my fitting the other day with XP95(s300) vs S300 vs X100 in the 714 AP2 and the MB

6i numbers were, club head 90mph ball 118 with both the AP2 and MB.
XP- spin 6700 launch 26*

S300 spin 5500-5600 launch 22*

X1000 spin 5400 Launch 21

These numbers aren't exact as I don't have my sheet in front of me, but are very close to what I saw.

I hit them on the Apex and AP1 and 2 this week. Can't say what is from the shaft and what from the head. Distance was good. I didn't track launch angle, etc...

Most notable was how smooth all 3 clubs felt. I play 75g graphites now and these felt just as nice regarding soft and smooth. Vibration and harshness were non-existent. Though 20g heavier than my current, I never felt like I was swinging a heavier shaft.

I liked them a lot and would buy them without a second thought if a fitting directed me to them.

I've been looking very hard at the AP1 714s as a replacement for my graphite shafted Pings. My local pro is a big proponent of steel shafts for shot-to-shot consistency so the XP 95s are high on my radar currently. I really appreciate hearing comments like this regarding how folks perceive their performance and feel compared to graphite.

I just won a set via a Twitter contest with chad hall. I can't wait to try out the 95's.

Nice dude!

I just won a set via a Twitter contest with chad hall. I can't wait to try out the 95's.

awesome man, they are some sweet shafts!

Way to go Icey, look forward your thoughts

They just showed up today, they look super cool, un labeled and all!

I haven't decided what I want to install them into yet.

Hi,

Just picked up my Apex Forged with TT XP 95 S300, I was originally after the TT XP 95 R300 as I've always played regular steel shafts in the past except for my current Diablo Forged with NS PRO 1100GH Uniflex shaft, I assume closer to a firm shaft.

Indoor launch monitor showed the S300 to be 6-8 yards longer carry than DF, R300 were about 4-6 yards longer carry, ball flight a little higher and dispersion was a little greater than S300.

Both the R300 and S300 dispersion was much tighter than DF 1100GH Uniflex.

S300 ball flight was pretty straight with slight tail to left or right depending if hitting draw or fade. R300 had more of a tail left or right.

Have I done the right thing going from NS PRO 1100GH Uniflex to a TT XP 95, results were great but still haven't hit on the course?

Cheerz :) :D ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty good combo for you. Only way to know is to get out there. Let us know how it works out.

Hi,

Firstly, I'm nearly 60 so my swing speed is slowly dropping. :( I usually play off between 4 to 7 hcp depending on mobility and injuries.

Was on the course today with mixed results.

I've always been a strong drawer of the ball, with the Diablo Forged NS PRO 1100GH Uniflex, aim a little right and let the ball turn back to the pin. ;) (hopefully)

With the Apex Forged with TT XP 95 S300, I'm trying to aim straight at target as ball flight on launch monitor was much straighter with TT XP 95 S300, slight tail with R300.

On a number of shots today, ball went a little right a stayed there, no bend, others went straight to target.

I'm confused whether the TT XP 95 R300 would've suited me better as ball flight on launch monitor tended to tail a little rather than going straight.

I suppose the other option is to get a #3 TT XP 95 S300 and soft step 4 thru to at least 9 iron, don't care too much if PW and AW are a little on the stiff side as my SW and LW have a Wedge flex, or S300. (new #3 S300 shaft goes into #4, #4 into #5 etc.)

I'm not a club fitter, but I am a club maker, so I can do the work myself.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like a pretty good combo for you. Only way to know is to get out there. Let us know how it works out.

I don't really think a change in flex or soft stepping is going to have any meaningful effect on directional flight like that. Height and feel, maybe, but that's about it imo.

Hi,

Thanks again.

You're probably dead right.

Like I said it was a mixed day with ball direction, 1st 2 shots went straight right, then I got most back on target, but odd one still leaked right.

I think I may have altered my swing a little over the 2 years using the Diablo Forged NS PRO 1100GH Uniflex as a lot of my shots went left, started at target then draw. I probably without knowing, held off club face/release a little to prevent going left.

The first round using brand new clubs and different brand and type of steel shaft shouldn't be taken too seriously, I hadn't hit any practice balls except for ones on launch monitor, floor was a synthetic grass mat which I hate.

Maybe going from NS PRO 1100GH Uniflex to TT XP 95 S300 isn't that much of a change in flex, just lighter dead weight of clubs and better quality lightweight shaft.

All it means I suppose, I can now go after the ball a little stronger without fear of it going hard left, unless I have the dreaded over-the-top move to start downswing.

I don't really think a change in flex or soft stepping is going to have any meaningful effect on directional flight like that. Height and feel, maybe, but that's about it imo.

Hi,

On the course again today and shot an easy 76 with poor putting.

These irons are very consistent, shots generally on target today, occasional to left or right but that's my swing.

Glad I stuck with the TT XP 95 S300, seem to be a very good match for my fast tempo swing.

Glad to hear it. Nice round!

Hi,

Just picked up my Apex Forged with TT XP 95 S300, I was originally after the TT XP 95 R300 as I've always played regular steel shafts in the past except for my current Diablo Forged with NS PRO 1100GH Uniflex shaft, I assume closer to a firm shaft.

Indoor launch monitor showed the S300 to be 6-8 yards longer carry than DF, R300 were about 4-6 yards longer carry, ball flight a little higher and dispersion was a little greater than S300.

Both the R300 and S300 dispersion was much tighter than DF 1100GH Uniflex.

What's your 6i and Driver swing speed? I ask because my swing usually works well with Callaway "Uniflex" shafts, which to me feels a little firmer than regular. Bona-fide stiff shafts are too much for me usually, but I have been finding that light-weight "Stiff" shafts are not as stiff as normal weight ones.

I tried the Apex with XP95 Regular and they felt great and pretty straight. Didn't get to try XP95 Stiff and wondering if that would even be straighter. BTW, the Apex Pro felt even more amazing to me, and althought the stock stiff KBS Tour-V is supposed to be for low-handicap players, the whole combo felt solid and stable like a rock!

Hi,

My driver swing speed is around 89-92 mph, not sure with 6i, maybe 84 mph, I think that's what the monitor stated.

The XP 95 S300 shafts don't feel to harsh to me being a light weight shaft, ball height and distance are both very good.

I always use regular shafts but got caught a little while ago when I made a set for myself using Ns Pro 950GH WF Regular and the ball just launched too high.

On the launch monitor, the XP 95 S300 shafts definitely gave the straightest and best ball flight with little or no tail, the R300's were a little higher but did tail.

On the course I think because I've been holding off the release a little to stop the Diablo Forged UniFlex shafts go too much to the left, strong draw, I'm finding that I'm leaving mainly the #4 and #5 irons to the right about 6-8 metres, ball flight still almost dead straight.

Being a club maker who always finds fitting himself more difficult that others, too critical, if the longer irons do continue to start right, I might get some more XP 95 S300 and soft step to make a FIRM flex, a #3 shaft goes into #4 iron, #4 shaft into #5 iron and so on, maybe up to #8 or #9 iron, wedge and AW are fine.

It's only been a few weeks now with Apex irons, need to give them at least another 2 weeks as more shots are becoming v/good to great.

What's your 6i and Driver swing speed? I ask because my swing usually works well with Callaway "Uniflex" shafts, which to me feels a little firmer than regular. Bona-fide stiff shafts are too much for me usually, but I have been finding that light-weight "Stiff" shafts are not as stiff as normal weight ones.

I tried the Apex with XP95 Regular and they felt great and pretty straight. Didn't get to try XP95 Stiff and wondering if that would even be straighter. BTW, the Apex Pro felt even more amazing to me, and althought the stock stiff KBS Tour-V is supposed to be for low-handicap players, the whole combo felt solid and stable like a rock!

Hi guys, sorry to bring back an old thread but I am trying to put together a new club order. I was fitted for x2hot irons with the XP 105's. My head speed with the 6 iron is 75.80.

It looks like the xp 95's are a no charge option which will allow me to purchase clubs much sooner. In everyone's experience do you think it's smart to buy with the 95 or wait to get more money together for the 105's. Is the difference that great?

hope that made sense

Hi guys, sorry to bring back an old thread but I am trying to put together a new club order. I was fitted for x2hot irons with the XP 105's. My head speed with the 6 iron is 75.80.

It looks like the xp 95's are a no charge option which will allow me to purchase clubs much sooner. In everyone's experience do you think it's smart to buy with the 95 or wait to get more money together for the 105's. Is the difference that great?

hope that made sense

The 95's def do launch higher and feel more active than the 105's in my time with both sets. It'll just come back to what you want/need to see out of them honestly.

The 95's def do launch higher and feel more active than the 105's in my time with both sets. It'll just come back to what you want/need to see out of them honestly.

95s perform better for you than the Tour 90? I know you had some issues with the Tour 90 in your scoring irons if I remember correctly

95s perform better for you than the Tour 90? I know you had some issues with the Tour 90 in your scoring irons if I remember correctly

They actually did, which was surprising to me, and in a full flex weaker.

hope that made sense

Really depends if you have a strong preference for a (slightly) heavier shaft weight. Both are pretty light either way. It won't be exactly the same, but the XP95 is the stock shaft in the Apex if you wanted to give the shaft a shot.

I had to bump this because recently I switched my Ping CFS shafts to the XP 95 shafts and I just need to say I love these shafts. I went on the TT site and this is what I was fitted for and found a set fairly cheap so figured what the heck. It was a true game changer for me. At first I was hitting everything pretty fat and I think it was just getting used to them but now I've gotten used to them I've hit more truly pure iron shots than I have in a long time. I went from a mid trajectory to a very high one and easily added 10 yards to all my irons.

I had to bump this because recently I switched my Ping CFS shafts to the XP 95 shafts and I just need to say I love these shafts. I went on the TT site and this is what I was fitted for and found a set fairly cheap so figured what the heck. It was a true game changer for me. At first I was hitting everything pretty fat and I think it was just getting used to them but now I've gotten used to them I've hit more truly pure iron shots than I have in a long time. I went from a mid trajectory to a very high one and easily added 10 yards to all my irons.
Same shaft I play, I never expected to play a light weight high launch shaft but I love them.

Back