When to make the transition?

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
So I asked a question in the Cobra Mc 2014 thread and after a few answers I decided to pm HOWZAT as to keep some banter out of that thread. He mentioned that this would be a good topic to start and I agree :
So with age, slower swing speeds , injuries, fatigue from playing many holes in a day or weekend, how many of you have transitioned into graphite shafts for your irons?
Do you regret it?
Did the performance validate the cost?
What were benefits of this?
We're there any cons?
Will you stay with graphite on your next set of irons?
Distance increase / decrese?
What shafts did you go with.

I don't expect anyone to answer every question, just more of some info on any of these bullets would be helpful. Thanks. ( you too howzat)

Great question.

I'm probably going to make that transistion this year when I go with the Apex irons. The recoil shafts are getting a lot of love and great feedback.

I now play regular flex in two different shafts, I just transistioned from Stiff to Regular last year when my iron swing speed dipped from the high 80's to mid 80's. I havent' demoed or tested the recoils yet so I can't give any feedback on what I expect.

But I would think less fatigue and a bit more clubhead speed.

I haven't made the transition, but I am considering. I played over 1,000 holes of golf this year for the first time ever, and towards the end of fall, it felt as though my wrists, elbows, and shoulders all started to break down.

One of my goals for 2014 is to be in better physical shape to play as much golf as possible, but if that arm breakdown happens again this upcoming year, I'll be making the change.

Do you regret it?
  • No, best thing I ever did was give graphite a genuine try and NOT just buy into what graphite iron shafts USED to be. I'll be back in graphite for sure.

• Depends on what aspect you're looking for, you can get higher launching steel, but with graphite the real benefit is on the joints and stamina IMO.

• Playing golf without my wrists or hands hurting. Its blissful.

We're there any cons?
  • Depends on the graphite shaft and what you're looking for. If you're a high ball hitter there are some shafts you will want to possibly shy away from, BUT, it is imperative to realize that graphite iron shafts have come SO far and THEY ARE NOT THE GRAPHITE OF OLD! Graphite does not mean weak to flex, those days are gone and more would benefit from giving them a try.

• Depends on the MC options available.

• I've seen gains going to lightweight high launch and I've seen no change going to equal weight and launch as my steel shafts. Never a loss for me personally.

• I love the Recoils, but they are essentially graphite shafts that play JUST like steel. Lower launching. Not what many think of when thinking about graphite.

I have not gone the route of graphite shafts in my irons yet but went with lightweight steel shafts (TT GS95) in my current set which dropped about 25 grams per shaft from my previous shafts. Did this mainly due to aging, more aches / pains and dropping club head speed. Hitting the irons about the same distance as I did 3 years ago with my previous shafts. Still playing stiff flex though that may certainly change with my next set.

I recon I can put my own two cents in now. I learned to play with graphite shafts. As my swing evolved and ego came into play I switched to steel. I had a great run and then a knee injury. Picked the game back up after a few years off and here we are . I'm right on the border of stiff and regular in irons based on my fitting. However, maybe just the shaft and head but clubs feel sooo much heavier lol. Also, I can't( or won't try) to put as much force on my left knee as I once did. I've gone from playing low lofted woods and 3-pw mb's to hybos, GI irons and higher loft driver. Honestly I'm happy with each of those decisions. So I ask all of this because graphite ( with proper fitting) seems like a good idea.

I don't see many negatives. Some of the best players in the world rock graphite and the mindset that it's inferior is pretty aniquated at this point. You can find a number of profiles and weights too.

Biggest downside is cost and probably will be for awhile.

I don't think graphite shafts are for "older" or "slower" swings anymore, as they used to be viewed in the past. I swing fairly hard, and there are some graphite iron shafts that I would game right now.

Ultimately, try a lot of different shafts and see what you like. Go with an open mind and let the numbers and the specific feel dictate your decision. Preconceived notions about graphite shafts really just don't exist anymore.

Do you regret it?
No.

You can find irons with graphite shafts already in them at reasonable costs like I did . Check Callaway preowned for some great deals and the irons look barely used or in demo condition.

My left wrist was causing some problems so I decided to try the graphite out.. The pain went away along with some shoulder and neck stiffness.

We're there any cons?
Other than the costs of new irons with graphite, none.

yea if I can afford to.

Distance increase / decrease?
To be honest I saw a little but not enough to blow ya skirt up.

I will look next time I pull the clubs out (tomorrow:D) and see what shaft came in my Callaway XF irons. It's the stock shafts not custom but I am extremely please with them.

I think you would be pleased with graphite shafted irons :thumb:

I don't currently have graphite shafts, but when I get fit for my new set I plan on hitting both and let the numbers tell the story. If they feel better or give me better numbers, I will go graphite without hesitation.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping that on the list of TM shaft options for the MC is the Aerotech or Recoil shafts. I still have sufficient speed, but the benefits of graphite are there and these might be a nice transition from my KBS Tours.

I would ask a question. Do you really have to make the "transition"? You may like them but you may still like steel better.

I would ask a question. Do you really have to make the "transition"? You may like them but you may still like steel better.

Do I have to make the transaction , probably not. I hit the ball decent, I've lost about a club since my knee injury. Can I still shoot decent golf in my mind sure. However I'm not getting younger in the body. My wrist and shoulder do hurt after a full round a little. My swing speed has gone down which happens. If you asked me what I like better I'd say muscle back blades, in a steel shaft but that doesn't mean that what I should play due to life and lack of time for practice .. If I could be consistent with graphite, dose down the little pains, maybe get a few yards back...why not try. The numbers at the fitter will tell the tale.

Ive seen a few sets with graphite shafts and have wondered if they are for slower speed swings? I don't have any intention to change shafts but do they make graphite shafts that are comparable to stiff steel shafts? Im not that clued on shafts so thought I would ask.

Ive seen a few sets with graphite shafts and have wondered if they are for slower speed swings? I don't have any intention to change shafts but do they make graphite shafts that are comparable to stiff steel shafts? Im not that clued on shafts so thought I would ask.

Graphite now isn't like graphite of old, there was a time they were weaker, now though with as far as they have come many play just like steel. Even the lightweight shafts hold up for high swing speeds, graphite is legit now...the cost is still what sucks.

Interesting responses. I personally don't have graphite, and I would be the 1st to admit that I was in the camp where I use to think graphite was for slower swing speeds. This just isn't the case anymore. I would not be against putting them in new set that I would own, if the launch, numbers, performance and feel was where I want them to be. Outside of the cost for the graphite, there isn't a lot of down side for them anymore, so worth it in my book....again....if I could check all the boxes.

I am no expert, but I have to agree with JMan. I have tried many graphite shafts and actually prefer the feel of a few that I tried, at least in the hitting bays. I'm about 85mph with a 6i, I don't think that qualifies me as a slow swing speed. I'm doing a driver shaft comparison on the PGA-SS launch monitor once I have all the candidates in hand. I might take the opportunity to do the same for whatever iron shafts I can test in the store. The numbers I remember from my last iron "fitting" were pretty close to the same. Just a bit less harsh on mishits with the graphite.

Graphite now isn't like graphite of old, there was a time they were weaker, now though with as far as they have come many play just like steel. Even the lightweight shafts hold up for high swing speeds, graphite is legit now...the cost is still what sucks.

Thanks Jman. Is graphite significantly much more expensive? Sorry for all the questions guys just trying to learn more about different shafts. Ill shut up now lol.

Do you regret it?
  • Not at all. I played the KBS Tours for a few years and really like those shafts but always wanted something lighter. I was able to reduce the weight and increase swing with less fatigue.

• Less pain and fatigue means makes play and practice more fun.

We're there any cons?
  • Not that I can see.

• If the graphite shafts available give me the best performance or are at least on par with the steel options.

• Tough to say because the I have never compared clubs with the same heads but I did see a noticable increase in swing speed.

• Mitsubishi Kuro Kage shafts. I spent quite a bit of time with them in the Nike Coverts at the outing before making the decision to play them in the AMP Cells. They are more of a mid spin / mid launch shaft and launch quite a bit lower than most "made for" stock graphite offerings. Again, not you grandpa's graphite.

Thanks Jman. Is graphite significantly much more expensive? Sorry for all the questions guys just trying to learn more about different shafts. Ill shut up now lol.

I would expect to pay $100-$200 more for the graphite offering with most OEM's.

No reason to EVER be sorry for asking questions dude, its how we learn!

Typically yes, for a set it is usually 1-200 more and as individual shafts some of the options are quite pricey too.

With the tech advances in graphite, I really think that for me it's going to be a matter of when I feel I can justify the expense more than anything. I see too many positives in going to the graphite shafts other than the cost.

Really, unless you have wrist problems that making it painful to play golf, you should transition to graphite in irons when you want to. Theres some steel shafts out there that are every bit as light as graphite.

Really, unless you have wrist problems that making it painful to play golf, you should transition to graphite in irons when you want to. Theres some steel shafts out there that are every bit as light as graphite.

I don't think weight is the only factor or benefit. FWIW I did not think I had any pain or issues while using steel until I made the move to graphite. Now I find it hard to go back to steel.

There are steel shafts that are in the 50-60 gram range?

I had a set with graphite shafts about 5-6 sets ago, and I didn't care for them as much. That being said, and seeing the advances others have seen with them in the past 5 years, it is something that is on my radar as we approach eventually getting fitted for the MC.

Back