Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

2 and a half weeks from now I will be hitting these bad boys outdoors for the first tine. I've had test runs with quite a few sets of irons over the last 2 years and I've never been this giddy to hit some this bad until now.

2 and a half weeks from now I will be hitting these bad boys outdoors for the first tine. I've had test runs with quite a few sets of irons over the last 2 years and I've never been this giddy to hit some this bad until now.

TRUTH!!!

I cannot wait to get these in hand. I honestly think my game is going to significantly change once these get in play.

TRUTH!!!

I cannot wait to get these in hand. I honestly think my game is going to significantly change once these get in play.

Yeah being able to miss every now and then and still see a respectable shot will be a game changer for me

I know you are frothing to get them outside. Almost there.

I was on the range yesterday and the Apex/Pros were attracting some attention. I had two people come over and ask me about them. They hit a few with them and walked away impressed.

Anyone hit these with PXi's in them? I'm a high ball hitter and I'm afraid the XP95's will launch the ball too high and spin way too much. The V Tour intrigues me but I played the PXi in my XHP and X-forged last year and really got along well with them.

Anyone hit these with PXi's in them? I'm a high ball hitter and I'm afraid the XP95's will launch the ball too high and spin way too much. The V Tour intrigues me but I played the PXi in my XHP and X-forged last year and really got along well with them.

I dont think any of the testers got fit into those shafts but perhaps someone has bought a set since. The tour v might be worth at least taking a few swings with.

I finally got a chance to play another round with these last week. I hadn't played in over a month, so I expected to be EXTREMELY rough. I was swinging easy all day, and losing about 20 yards or more on my drives because of it. I was clubbing up about a half club, expecting to see distance loss over my usual iron distance (what I would see with my XHP irons and Bridgestones). I consistently overshot the green, I wasn't losing any distance despite swinging considerably slower. These are definitely long.

I had a great ball striking day, I'm not sure how much of that I can put on the added forgiveness of these irons, but it certainly wasn't a bad thing. I only hit one "bad" iron shot on the round, and that still only lost 5-10 yards of distance, although it was a pull so that made up some of the distance I am sure.

My ball flight was very nice. Plenty of height and was holding the greens nicely. I wasn't seeing any ballooning, as shown by the long distances. I hit a consistent draw all day, a pretty big draw, bigger than I would like to play, but I think that had alot to do with the slower swings. I tend to miss left when I slow my tempo down.

Overall it was a great second round with the irons. I scored MUCH better than I anticipated, and these irons definitely played a part in it.

1 bad swing and only minimal distance lost is awesome wake. The forgiveness seems to be legit which has me ecstatic to out them through their paces.

1 bad swing and only minimal distance lost is awesome wake. The forgiveness seems to be legit which has me ecstatic to out them through their paces.

Yeah. The forgiveness of these is off the chart and the feel and distance too. I hit my buddies during a round last week. Not my specs at all. He plays stock LLL, and I'm 1/2" over and 1 up. But I was hitting it real solid. Real solid indeed. They are VERY forgiving. Especially on fat shots too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thus far, I am undefeated in my league with these irons. Granted, it's indoor, but im still making great contact and not getting into too much trouble. My rounds have been 38, 40, 40, 43, and 39. One of the guys I played is a friend who is a club pro and is on the Nike staff. He wanted to trade me his brand new VR Pro Combo's for Apex. He couldn't believe how nice they set up and how compact the head was for a "game improvement" iron. After a few beers he says, "I might have to get our Callaway rep on the phone and tell Nike to beat it"

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

For those that have got to the course with the Apex , how is the turf interaction with these? Any fat or heavy tendancys They do seem to have a fair bit of bounce on them.
Thanks gb

For those that have got to the course with the Apex , how is the turf interaction with these? Any fat or heavy tendancys They do seem to have a fair bit of bounce on them.
Thanks gb

I'll be able to say in 2 weeks but I'm sure a bunch of the guys have gotten them out and can respond

Im a "neat" golfer, so many times I dont take a divot or if i do its pretty shallow, coming off a true GI that bounced quite a bit and was difficult to hit off hard pan or tight lies....I only have 3 rounds in with the Apex's (and with all the snow and cold temps I know Im done till Spring), the P and AW dig a little at impact which for me is really cool and a different experience. My favorite shot is a 75yd half PW, it will take a little while to get used to a club digging in....its nice to take a divot occasionally

Sharp looking irons to say the least and I would love to give them a whirl :golf2:

Thanks gb

Turf interaction is good. No issues with the Apex with excessive digging. I played today in soggy conditions and had no issues with these when I took a divot.

I hit the Pros with the Pxi... A point made on the shaft by the Grandaddy fitter was that the PXi would actually help keep my ball flight and spin down as compared to the stock shafts in Apex and Apex Pro... Recommendation was go a flex stiffer than the PX flighted I played in my DPCs as the PXi play softer. Again, this was from Phil's fitter...

I was fortunate to get some swings in with Spicoli's (John) Apex combo set. If I remember right he has 8-PW Apex pro and 3-7 Apex. My main issues with my MP-53's is distance lost off the toe and pain in my hands on thin shots. I have a 3 iron in the 53's but have never been able to hit it well. It is sitting in my closet right now. My first shot with the Apex 3-iron was a tee shot that I caught a little thin but it was right down the middle with minimal distance loss. 2nd tee shot had some fade to it but it was in the fairway and it was long. 3rd tee shot was one of my best shots of the day, little draw right down the center of the fairway and very long. I hit the irons significantly better than I hit my own today and that is not an exaggeration. Misses off the toe or thin with the regular Apex were not very penal. If you are in the market for new irons you would be doing yourself a disservice by not trying these.

I was fortunate to get some swings in with Spicoli's (John) Apex combo set. If I remember right he has 8-PW Apex pro and 3-7 Apex. My main issues with my MP-53's is distance lost off the toe and pain in my hands on thin shots. I have a 3 iron in the 53's but have never been able to hit it well. It is sitting in my closet right now. My first shot with the Apex 3-iron was a tee shot that I caught a little thin but it was right down the middle with minimal distance loss. 2nd tee shot had some fade to it but it was in the fairway and it was long. 3rd tee shot was one of my best shots of the day, little draw right down the center of the fairway and very long. I hit the irons significantly better than I hit my own today and that is not an exaggeration. Misses off the toe or thin with the regular Apex were not very penal. If you are in the market for new irons you would be doing yourself a disservice by not trying these.
So you being a Callaway Staffer for the MC, and given your introductory swings with the Apex, is your mind spinning as you ponder iron setup for July? Or were you sold right out of the gate on the Apex/Apex Pro or Apex Combo?

So you being a Callaway Staffer for the MC, and given your introductory swings with the Apex, is your mind spinning as you ponder iron setup for July? Or were you sold right out of the gate on the Apex/Apex Pro or Apex Combo?

I want to give every offering its due diligence but I can't imagine something knocking out the Apex. It was that good for me.

I want to give every offering its due diligence but I can't imagine something knocking out the Apex. It was that good for me.

I would agree on the clubs. You can miss and not be killed with these.

#Boom! Love it. For a forged offering to produce the amount of forgiveness these do, it's awesome. I have never played a 3 iron, but I think I could possibly with these. Does Spicoli have the Tour V in them? That's what I'm getting in Apex and I'm insanely excited for that combo.

As I said in the MC thread, it was awesome seeing you pick them up and take to them immediately. You looked very comfortable and confident with the Apex. I'm looking forward to your fitting session, but I think these are the front runners for your irons.

#Boom! Love it. For a forged offering to produce the amount of forgiveness these do, it's awesome. I have never played a 3 iron, but I think I could possibly with these. Does Spicoli have the Tour V in them? That's what I'm getting in Apex and I'm insanely excited for that combo.

Yes, Tour V stiff.

Yes, Tour V stiff.

Ah, a quick sig look woulda solved that haha. How are you liking that shaft so far in the regular Apex (seeing that it's stock in the Pros)?

Ah, a quick sig look woulda solved that haha. How are you liking that shaft so far in the regular Apex (seeing that it's stock in the Pros)?

It's been a pretty good fit. I'm not sure if an x-flex would be a better fit as I am finding myself swinging easy to help minimize my draw. Not a bad thing really as it is leading to more accuracy and better control than I saw with my Pings (with the stock CFS x-stiff).

Back