Putting - Finger Down The Shaft

I used to do it until about a year ago when I went to see an instructor, he advised me not to. It took some time getting used to the change but after a while it felt natural and my putting did improve.

I have always done it, just always found it more comfortable. But I am working on my putting without it this winter. It is a little different to get used to, but I can tell already that I will be better off not doing it.

I was aware that I did it with my right index finger and changed it this summer. I very recently realized I was doing it with the left index finger and am working on making the change; it still feels a bit weird to wrap it and I still have to consciously remember to place my hand that way.

I did tried it a few times during my first few years of golf, but I once heard a guy say that if that was such a good way to putt, then you would see a lot of pros using that grip on tour.
Made sense to me, and I don't think I've ever tried it again.

I don't putt with a finger down the shaft. It feels like I'm trying to hard to direct the ball, rather than trusting my aim and hitting it. Feels very uncomfortable, too.

I do, I will have to try it without to see how it feels as soon as I get a chance.

I definitely put my index finger down the shaft of the putter and really have no idea why but after reading through this thread I am gonna try some other grips out. Maybe even go in the garage and try it out now haha

I definitely do it, I didn't use to do it, back when my putting was the strength of my game, I'll have to look at switching back. I think I did it when I started practicing pitching and chipping with the index finger down to help with the wrist hinge doing that, I don't do that anymore either though.

I'm currently breaking this habit...I used to do it from a recommendation given last year, probably the worst putting ever. I stopped once i watched the brad faxton special on GC and now use the grip he recommended but still find myself trying to put the finger down the grip. I'll step back and start over if I catch myself.

Watched my neighbor putt with his index finger down....he did above average but I think that had more to do with the tips I gave him on his address. Maybe we'll discuss his grip next time!

I'm currently breaking this habit...I used to do it from a recommendation given last year, probably the worst putting ever. I stopped once i watched the brad faxton special on GC and now use the grip he recommended but still find myself trying to put the finger down the grip. I'll step back and start over if I catch myself.

It was a really hard habit for me to break too, I did it FOREVER, but man did my putting improve when I finally let the weighting and balance of the putter do its job throughout the stroke.

I putted without extending the finger down the shaft today and I can't say it made a huge difference. On the practice green I tried a bunch of putts both ways and in every case I either sunk both or missed both. I did putt quite well today on the course so I guess I'll keep on putting without extending the finger for now.

I just started using my index fingers down the sides of the shaft and thumbs in top after my SPi instructor moved the grip onto my lifelines. It's the only way I can comfortably hold the belly grip in my CB shaft without tension. I don't use the fingers at all, they just rest there. I don't use them to steer at all.

I didn't extend my finger down the shaft once today. I think it has helped me hit long lag putts a little bit but its making me worse inside 10'.
I'll keep experimenting.

I couldn't have really said if I did this or not, but putting on the BirdieBall last night I did find myself with my right index finger pointed down the shaft. I'll have to pay attention and not do it next time and see what the difference is.

I do not put my finger down the shaft. I hold it interlocked like any other club. Would that be good or bad I find it very comfortable.

I used to putt this way as a junior as that was how my dad told me to do it. I didn't stick with it for more than a few months before I changed to the grip I've been using for nearly 20 years (damn that makes me feel old). Lol.

I've always put my finger down the shaft, ever since i first picked up a putter.

I've tried not doing and don't putt any better so just went back to it.

I used to putt like this a very long time ago, but had changed it along the way.
SPI confirmed for me that it was a good choice.

I am all for to each their own, but I always cringe when I see people putt like this.

I used to putt like this a very long time ago, but had changed it along the way.
SPI confirmed for me that it was a good choice.

I am all for to each their own, but I always cringe when I see people putt like this.

U should play with me sometime and see if you cringe when I picking my ball out of the cup...Boom

But yeah I agree to each their own

U should play with me sometime and see if you cringe when I picking my ball out of the cup...Boom

Lol. Boom...love it.

To each their own....At the end of the day I don't really care how anyone else swings or putts, I just know the finger down the shaft method doesn't work for me.

I usually do when my playing partners card triples and quads.

I've always putted with my index finger straight down the putter grip and come to think of it I have no idea why! But, I consider putting the strongest part of my game, so I'll never change!

I putt with my finger down the shaft. I feel that it helps to prevent me from flipping my wrists during the stroke.

I putt with my finger down the grip, that's just how I was taught & didn't know any better. I've since tried to change it but it feels really weird and go back to what I'm used to.

Back