Putting - Finger Down The Shaft

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had conversations with many THPers about this as it is something I did for many years and was corrected quickly by SPi. Once explained it made a lot of sense why not to.

So my question to you is this. Do you have your index finger down the shaft when you putt? And if so, why do you do it?

I have had conversations with many THPers about this as it is something I did for many years and was corrected quickly by SPi. Once explained it made a lot of sense why not to.

So my question to you is this. Do you have your index finger down the shaft when you putt? And if so, why do you do it?

I putt left hand low so no, but what was the explanation you got why not to?

I think so but I have no idea why. It just is comfortable..

Yes. It's just a comfort thing and I've tried to break the habit, but once I start thinking about it I start getting wristy!

• Admin
I putt left hand low so no, but what was the explanation you got why not to?

There are a lot of reasons but the easiest is that it can promote wrist break and adds very little to nothing positive in terms of stability. You can also guide with the down finger too much.

Used to do it because that's how I learned to putt when I was a kid, but moved away from it a few years ago. For me, it made my right (lower) hand affect the stroke less.

My instructor made me stop doing that because he said I was guiding the putter with that finger too much. I still find myself doing it sometimes without realizing it.

I used to do it years ago after seeing a tip on TV about how pointing your finger towards the hole after making contact would promote the ball to stay on line and help get it to the hole. I putted like that for about 5 years. I quit doing it about 6 or 8 years ago and my putting got a lot almost instantly.

I usually do it. It's a total comfort thing for me.

My stroke "mechanics" is focused on the back of my left hand. I don't think the right index finger affects me either way.

There are a lot of reasons but the easiest is that it can promote wrist break and adds very little to nothing positive in terms of stability.
just took a few practice strokes, i could see how that could easily happen

I was taught this when I was very young, but don't currently do it.

I'm right handed. I have my left pointer finger sort of down the shaft. It overlaps the pinky and ring finger on my right hand. Just comfort thing due to the traditional overlap/cross finger grip.

Are you saying you use a baseball style grip when you putt?

I used to, and if I remember correctly I think it gave me the illusion of better control. I don't do it anymore though.

Yes, I do it and I feel it gives me more control but it sounds like it may by well be hurting me. I struggled with my putting this year so maybe I will try and get away from that next year.

Are you saying you use a baseball style grip when you putt?

Im not sure who this was directed to. If it was me, the answer is no.

I dont understand how people find that comfortable. I could not imagine doing that it would feel really akward.

I never do.

When I get lazy, I do. And it typically gives me putting fits. I always want to tell myself that it helps me putt, but I know it does not.

Im not sure who this was directed to. If it was me, the answer is no.
It was and thanks. Mind sharing what SPi taught you?

I don't do it, but I have tried. My uncle is a 2 or 3 hdcp and he showed me the basics of the game years ago. He does putt with a finger down the shaft. I personally don't like it.

It was and thanks. Mind sharing what SPi taught you?

Oh man, that would be a novel. Absolutely love their approach. Lots of great stuff from the Morgan Cup staff that went through it last year in the thread though. In terms of the finger, it was a multitude of reasons not to do it as mentioned above. Things such as promoting wrist break to guiding the putter with that finger.

Nope. I do not

Yes I currently putt with my right index finger straight down the shaft...not sure why it really is just a comfort thing, but considering my putting isn't that strong maybe I should change it.

No. Never have and it drives me nuts when people do it. But I am not here to tell people how to putt or play their game.

I used to do it, felt like it gave me a reference for keeping the putter face square. I don't know when or how, but at some point last year I subconsciously started not doing it. I feel I've been putting better since.

Back