What is your pre-shot routine?

McJeebie

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 2.4
Mine is a slow practice swing, followed by stepping behind the ball to get a line, then addressing the ball, waggling a few times, and pulling the trigger. I am interested to see the variety of pre-shot routines out there!

None.
Grab my club. Set up to the ball and swing.

None.

I can confirm this. If you blink you'll miss him swing.

I sometimes take a swing sometimes don't

I try to do this (It's better with Reinmuth describing it, but the Golf Channel website doesn't have the videos anymore):

[video=youtube;ipJI-ZnpeMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJI-ZnpeMs[/video]

I pick out my target from behind the ball step up and stare at my target while I waggle, waggle again and maybe once more then I pull the trigger.

I pick a target from behind the ball, line up, check my grip to make sure I've not got a death grip on it, then let er rip.

Pick out target line and take a couple of swings. Once I have my target I line up and address the ball, feet together, then widen my stance for the shot. This helps me make sure my ball position is in the right spot. Once I'm over the ball, I swing.

My only routine is with the putter. Read the line from behind the ball, take one practice swing for pace, place putter behind the ball on the line I want, adjust stance, and putt.

None.
Same for me. Although I actually pause between addressing the ball and starting my swing.

Look at a target, step in and swing. Rarely take a practice swing unless I am waiting to hit, if not waiting, swing away.

I now make sure I line up correctly. It has helped tons. It's really simple and it works

stand behind 3-4 steps the ball in my "think box", pick a target/ball flight, envision the shot, address the ball in my "swing box" and pull the trigger. i do not swing in the think box and do not think in the swing box. takes about 30-40 seconds total to hit the shot

I do a typical swing and get a feel for the club. The closer I get to the hole, the more I focus on the practice swing and get it down to a tempo I like before actually hitting the ball. When I putt, I place my putter behind the ball, adjust for aim and swing.

I've sort-of written it out in another thread yesterday actually.

My routine starts when I set down my bag or stop my clicgear. But we're talking about when you've already chosen the club and the desired flight etc I guess.
So I stand behind the ball, put on my glove as I visualize the shot. I pick a targetline on the ground, I try and find something on the ground I want my ball to fly over.. Mostly within 40cm from the ball towards the target. Then I walk to the ball in a circular motion, continuously looking at the thing I picked for the path.
I set up for a practice swing, do my practice swing (sometimes more then one), then gently step forward, check the line, check the target, loosen my hands and regrip then I (finally) let it rip.

Sounds like a 2 minute routine, but it's much faster :)

Pull club. Address ball. Hit ball. Find ball. Repeat as necessary.:alien:

Behind the ball, 1 club head twirl, address the ball, lift the club head slightly up a couple of times and hit.

Putting i'm really quick, get my line, step up, and hit, no second guessing line that way.

I use to play with a guy who no joke took 14 practice swings, key word "use" to play with him.

Practise swing behind ball
Pick line and target
Swing
All up 30-35secs total

Pick something out in front of ball as start of intended target
Setup and swing
No practice swings here

I start with picking out a target from behind the ball. Set up next to the ball and take a practice swing, then swing away.

I do the hokey pokey and turn myself around that's what it all about!

Actually, I just align, address and swing typically.

Get my line from behind the ball, step up to it, take a practice swing so I know where my arc is, get right up to the ball, look at the target for a few seconds, then down at the ball and GO.

I pick a spot a few inches to a foot in front of the ball where I want to hit it, I line up my clubface at that spot or slightly open of it, I visualize the shot I want to hit and I swing. all of this only takes a few seconds.

Back