2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your muscle-up technique? I try to power through them, but even with a false grip I can't get it.

I kip when I'm trying to lace them together or if I'm on a bar, but I have studied them enough to learn some techniques, so here's some things I've learned for rings, especially with more strict muscle-ups:

1. as you start to pull up, focus on getting your "head through the window" sooner than you think you need to. By the point where your elbow is 90°, you should be rolling your body forward to get through the window. I picture my breastbone, or sternum. I'll never get my head through the window if it's facing upwards at all when my arms reach that point. There's just no room. This is really important when you're kipping. When you feel like you didn't kip high enough, your body wants to explode with your lats to pull yourself high enough, but if your arms are already past that 90° position, all you're going to do is pull your sternum toward the rings (picture doing a chest to bar pullup), but unless you can get the rings to your hips, you'll never be able to hold that position to get your head through the window. Start the transition earlier than you think. This is one part where a false grip makes things a little easier.

2. Don't cut the transition off too early. If you've reached the point where you can start the transition, you can finish the transition, usually. But if you try to start the dip before your elbows are directly above your hands, you'll be pushing the rings away from your center of gravity. Nothing is more frustrating than a no-rep after you get your shoulders over the rings. Get the transition, relax, and blast through the dip. It looks uncomfortable, but the bottom of the dip is the closest thing to relaxed once you start the muscle-up movement.

3. To get them unbroken, learn to relax as you drop from the top. Put your legs out in front of you, push the rings out in front of you, and just drop and relax, keeping a solid but loose grip on the rings. As you come toward the bottom, your legs and the rings will end up behind you, with your hips and shoulders out in front, and all you have to do is turn your palms away at the bottom, then snap them back to neutral to start the next rep. Consider having someone lift you to that top position, and start your first rep from there. The first muscle-up is the hardest when you have to lace them together, because you have to manufacture the momentum of the kipping motion. Once you get to the top of your first one, it's easy, the biggest problem from there is keeping the rings from swaying too much.

Knocked out day 2 of my routine waiting for HH signups. Gonna be sore at work this weekend but that is a good sign. I will add a stretching routine as well next week to try to improve my flexability. The challenge will be finding things to do when I'm at work. Pushups, crunches, lunges, planks, etc. are the plan now.

Third and final session of the C25K schedule for the week completed, so time to chill out and relax

3rd day of insanity. ..pure cardio..used to be my go to to burn quick calories...now I remember why...# tough

Torso rotations on the machine Followed by crunches finish every work out.... Seems to be helping a bit. I've kind of settled into a routine... I try to limit my time in the gym to 1.5 hours with cardio and some light strength training.

Torso rotations on the machine Followed by crunches finish every work out.... Seems to be helping a bit. I've kind of settled into a routine... I try to limit my time in the gym to 1.5 hours with cardio and some light strength training.

I keep a stop watch watch going so I can monitor my rest duration.

I am in the gym and out in an hour.

Keep it up guys ! Really good workouts going on here!

I keep a stop watch watch going so I can monitor my rest duration.

I am in the gym and out in an hour.

With cardio work?

With cardio work?

My guess is lifting

I can/have do 12-15 of high intensity intervals on a treadmill or elliptical.

I usually will do a "finisher" after my weights. 25 goblet squats. 25 dumbbell swings. 25 medicine ball slams. 25 jumping jacks.

Generally speaking, I find long cardio session are counter productive to my goals.

Thanks. I've been looking to keep the cardio under 30 mins, focusing on keeping my heart rate right around 160 for the majority of the time. Then I beak off and do the machine circuit with lower weight and high reps. Finish it up with a quick ab blast

You have a plan. Keep it up. Eat right and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Sunday morning run in the park completed, bit later than last week as there was a very heavy frost so we waited for it to clear a bit before skating round...lol

Day 5 of insanity. ..just finished up and looking at getting up early tomorrow and doing one as well before my weekly weigh in

Day 5 of insanity. ..just finished up and looking at getting up early tomorrow and doing one as well before my weekly weigh in

congrats buddy!

Morgan Cup workout in while watching the Sony. Making profess everyday

KG

Just Tapping Away

I've had "Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" sitting on my Kindle for nearly 18 months, even ordered all of the required exercise gear (bands, exercise ball). Well, today I finally decided to put it all to good use. My exercise prescription is to basically do everything since I am about as flexible as a steel rod. After performing Day 1's routine, I have a prediction for tomorrow: PAIN! The workout hit muscles I never knew existed, and woke a few others up!

I've had "Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" sitting on my Kindle for nearly 18 months, even ordered all of the required exercise gear (bands, exercise ball). Well, today I finally decided to put it all to good use. My exercise prescription is to basically do everything since I am about as flexible as a steel rod. After performing Day 1's routine, I have a prediction for tomorrow: PAIN! The workout hit muscles I never knew existed, and woke a few others up!

Good luck today man! Hope the workout is solid!

Three mile run this morning, mostly done using a "Last man up" format. http://www.physical-fitness.biz/last-man-up-running

Sprints are one of the best ways to improve cardiorespiratory fitness while minimizing loss of muscle mass. And they're fun. Using two squads competing against one another provides a great little bit of motivation. Soldiers don't like getting beat, even by their buddies.

Fairly intense games at the badminton club last night

C25K session tonight after work with Jen

And I have got a badminton match on Sunday so that will be a run in the morning with the match later in the day

Start training for a half marathon next week. Should be a rough, fulfilling 12 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back