2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this and it made me laugh:

images

I would suggest buddy just going for a general fitness routine. The MC is as much of a test of endurance as it is golf. Up to you but that would be my honest advice.

Gotcha. I've gone from 250 at the beginning of 2013 to 215 now, but I feel like I need to work on my core and upper body, along with some all-around fitness.

Gotcha. I've gone from 250 at the beginning of 2013 to 215 now, but I feel like I need to work on my core and upper body, along with some all-around fitness.

Well I think you have your plan right there. Personally I have been always against sport specific lifting. But that has to do with the fact that I am 5 foot 9 and weight approx 160 haha I really can't lift sport specific at those numbers.

FWIW started Pilates, ride an exercise bike for cardio & use my own body weight for push up resistance.... I went from 245 to 205 last year & this has helped out a lot to get to a good spot where I'm not going to loose too much more weight & weight training won't bulk me up.

3 mile fartlek run this morning, complete with yelling and joshing around at Soldiers. Much as I hate those little bastards, I enjoy training them.

3 mile fartlek run this morning, complete with yelling and joshing around at Soldiers. Much as I hate those little bastards, I enjoy training them.

Are you a DI Paladin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you a DI Paladin!

No, I'm an AIT instructor for the Army. After they graduate from Basic Training, they come here to learn a specific job in the Army. In my case, it's Mil. Intelligence Systems Maintenance. Our guys are in school for almost a year, so it's a fair amount of time to get to know some of them. It's a fun job, all things being equal. Probably the most low-stress position I've had in the Army. The hours can be rough, though.

I'm "The PT guy" in the sense that I'm one of the few NCOs that's genuinely interested in seeing Soldiers get better at PT, and because I'm not one of their platoon sergeants, I'm slightly less bound in terms of what I can say and how I can say them in terms of...getting the most out of Soldiers through various types of reinforcement.

I work out Monday, Wednesday, & Friday and rest on the weekend. Works for me. I had a great workout today except one little slip on the bike. I usually like the ones with the big seats where I can sit back and relax while I pedal. Both of those were taken so I had to sit on one of those high bikes. Anyways my foot slipped off the tiny pedal and I torqued my knee a bit. Didn't injury it but it let me know not to do it again. Icing it down now I'm back at home.

You take care buddy, we need to hit the course either Friday or sometime next week.

FWIW started Pilates, ride an exercise bike for cardio & use my own body weight for push up resistance.... I went from 245 to 205 last year & this has helped out a lot to get to a good spot where I'm not going to loose too much more weight & weight training won't bulk me up.

Nice man! Those are some great results! Glad you are happy where you are!

Fartleks are tough bro. Also just noticed - my uncle lives right near your base. I have actually run up the Huachuca range a couple years back. Beautiful beautiful place you have there. Stunning scenery. Were you all spared in the fire a couple years back?

Just soaked my SeeMore Tshirt on the elliptical machine! 45 minutes and I was gassed. Gotta get to an hour. Feels awesome! Worked some abs and did Arms. It's starting to get fun again!

Fartleks are tough bro. Also just noticed - my uncle lives right near your base. I have actually run up the Huachuca range a couple years back. Beautiful beautiful place you have there. Stunning scenery. Were you all spared in the fire a couple years back?

I was living in Maryland at the time, but a couple of friends of mine were living out here. Guys were here for school and told to drop everything and rally up to get picks and shovels and dig firebreaks. Enlisted, officers, everyone was out there. I was here a year later attending school in summer of 2012 and whole hills down toward Hereford and around Miller Peak were still blackened, but two very wet monsoon seasons have done a lot to restore some undergrowth.

It's a beautiful area, like you said, nice to have both a big sky and some tall mountains nearby. Plus the elevation keeps the temperatures manageable. Adds some yards to a golf ball to boot, lol. Always fun to take Soldiers brand new to the post on a run. We're a shade less than a mile up (4800-5100' depending on where you're at in the area), and it's a smoker the first month or so. Guys lose about 90-120 seconds on their 2-mile run time and gain it back over about 90 days while they're here.

Insanity day 1....again!

No, I'm an AIT instructor for the Army. After they graduate from Basic Training, they come here to learn a specific job in the Army. In my case, it's Mil. Intelligence Systems Maintenance. Our guys are in school for almost a year, so it's a fair amount of time to get to know some of them. It's a fun job, all things being equal. Probably the most low-stress position I've had in the Army. The hours can be rough, though.

I'm "The PT guy" in the sense that I'm one of the few NCOs that's genuinely interested in seeing Soldiers get better at PT, and because I'm not one of their platoon sergeants, I'm slightly less bound in terms of what I can say and how I can say them in terms of...getting the most out of Soldiers through various types of reinforcement.

ok I got ya. I had my basic at Ft Jackson, SC and RVN training at Ft Riley, Kansas. I'm glad you like your job and it sounds like you are very good at what you do :thumb:

You take care buddy, we need to hit the course either Friday or sometime next week.

Friday sounds good and I will be back at ya tomorrow on setting something up :golf2:

Just soaked my SeeMore Tshirt on the elliptical machine! 45 minutes and I was gassed. Gotta get to an hour. Feels awesome! Worked some abs and did Arms. It's starting to get fun again!

Good for you Kevin. :clapp: Heck I only did 20 minutes today on the elliptical and I was gassed :banghead:. I followed that with upper body workouts, then some leg workouts with the machines and closed my routine with 20 minutes on the bike. That's were I strained my knee a bit :beat-up:

ok I got ya. I had my basic at Ft Jackson, SC and RVN training at Ft Riley, Kansas. I'm glad you like your job and it sounds like you are very good at what you do :thumb:

Friday sounds good and I will be back at ya tomorrow on setting something up :golf2:

Good for you Kevin. :clapp: Heck I only did 20 minutes today on the elliptical and I was gassed :banghead:. I followed that with upper body workouts, then some leg workouts with the machines and closed my routine with 20 minutes on the bike. That's were I strained my knee a bit :beat-up:
Go easy partner! It's a marathon not a sprint!

Just as intense as I remembered. Calves are a little sore may take a few days to get that out of my system

3 miles on the rower tonight. It has taken a little time to get the right form but I really enjoy using it.

2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Just put in 45mins on the treadmill. Gotta start somewhere

30 mins on the mill, completed wk 1 of 5k Runner. Did some and and legs... Cardio was great and abs were great the lifting was okay, I think if was a little gassed from the other exercises.

Using Tapatalk

Ugh!!!! Someone needs to get these Oreos out of the house....

Slight change to our plans for the next C25K session - I was considering doing it as a warm-up for badminton tonight (after a range practice session) as Jen was running with a girl from work, but the girl has had a family member rushed into hospital so she can't go tonight

Therefore I will be playing badminton as normal tonight and Jen has said we will do the C25K run tomorrow night instead

I know we have only done 2 sessions but I was a little surprised to hear Jen say that she has thoroughly enjoyed it, so maybe I might be able to convince her to keep going after the 8 weeks and build up to the 10K distance

The only other thing left to do now is get the mountain bike she was given sorted out and then we will most likely add in some cycling once the weather dries up a bit as I am not going to risk accidents in damp and slippy conditions

Hmmm, if this all takes off the way I suspect it might, I could be struggling to find time for golf..... :beat-up:

Ugh!!!! Someone needs to get these Oreos out of the house....

This is huge. Honestly. If they aren't there, then there is no temptation.

I was living in Maryland at the time, but a couple of friends of mine were living out here. Guys were here for school and told to drop everything and rally up to get picks and shovels and dig firebreaks. Enlisted, officers, everyone was out there. I was here a year later attending school in summer of 2012 and whole hills down toward Hereford and around Miller Peak were still blackened, but two very wet monsoon seasons have done a lot to restore some undergrowth.

It's a beautiful area, like you said, nice to have both a big sky and some tall mountains nearby. Plus the elevation keeps the temperatures manageable. Adds some yards to a golf ball to boot, lol. Always fun to take Soldiers brand new to the post on a run. We're a shade less than a mile up (4800-5100' depending on where you're at in the area), and it's a smoker the first month or so. Guys lose about 90-120 seconds on their 2-mile run time and gain it back over about 90 days while they're here.

Glad it is recovering. It is such a pretty place to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back