Cleveland Custom 588 Driver Preview Thread

The "Classic" sound has my attention! Loved the sound at impact with that baby! Range rocks suck! But at least you get a chance to see true flight. Looking forward to more Hawk!

It's a catch 22 for sure. You want to see the ball fly, but at the same time the balls are just not made for flying lol. At least I got to hear it though. That's one thing I really wanted to do.

Thanks for the initial thoughts, Hawk! I don't think I've ever heard a driver that sounds as nice as the Classic did, so that is...pardon the pun...music to my ears.

Seems like this Red Tie is quite a stout/stable shaft. You said that you felt that you could go down a flex and it would hold up...do you think that played a part in the lower-than-usual ball flight? (along with the rock range balls)

Oh yea. The shaft was definitely stable and maybe even a little stiffer than I expected it to be. That's just my perspective, but I think it will be more than enough for a good chunk of the people out there.

Nice dude. I think its a brilliant pairing for companies, I really do.

Thanks for the initial thoughts, Hawk! I don't think I've ever heard a driver that sounds as nice as the Classic did, so that is...pardon the pun...music to my ears.

Seems like this Red Tie is quite a stout/stable shaft. You said that you felt that you could go down a flex and it would hold up...do you think that played a part in the lower-than-usual ball flight? (along with the rock range balls)

Well, I won't call it stout. That's mostly because I think most of the monsters here will disagree lol. I think if you're used to a stiff shaft you'll find it plays very true to flex. I thought for my swing that it was firmer than the Tour Blue I play right now. That could just be bend profile though, so who knows. Very likely could have played a role in the ball flight, but I tend to think the head has a much bigger effect on spin and launch than the shaft.

Driver sounds good. Very Classic-ish if you're familiar with that. I think most will really enjoy that.

Before I talk too much about ball flight I do want to say I was using range rocks at an outdoor range and it's winter here. Guessing things will change a bit when I put it in on the launch monitor with my normal ball of choice.

Lower ball flight than I expected in the Square position. Just based on the ball flight and my past experiences I'd guess I was tossing up some pretty low spinning balls (and the range rocks were making that worse) and that was probably a pretty big factor in the trajectory.

So, I changed the setting to the +2.25 spot. Oddly, didn't really see a much higher ball like I expected. Also thought the face looked much more open than I'd expect on a closed setting. Turns out I'm an idiot (since I didn't read the manual closely) and that is actually the lower loft/open face setting. Doh! Just figured that out a few minutes ago.

Normal shot shape (right-left) and normal miss (more left), so that's good. Got into a few balls and really liked what I saw - mid trajectory that carried well and took off rolling (will be even better when I bump up the loft though).

Shaft felt good. I think many will like it. I think I could easily go down in flex and still feel like it was holding up for me.

I think I'd like to do a few things to it. First, I'd like to get it to my normal playing length (44.5). Second, would like to work with the higher loft setting. Last, would like to pop the heaviest weight in there - both to balance out the shorter shaft and hopefully raise my launch a bit.

Great initial thoughts, lol at range rocks. I think I'm going to end up a higher loft as well when it's all said and done. Looking forward to your future insight.

Great initial thoughts, lol at range rocks. I think I'm going to end up a higher loft as well when it's all said and done. Looking forward to your future insight.

I think you'll want to go that route. I won't say that it's a super low spin deal like the Classic, but definitely lower than my gamer.

I think you'll want to go that route. I won't say that it's a super low spin deal like the Classic, but definitely lower than my gamer.

So it goes up to 13* right? 10.5 +2.5?

I've got to get out and demo this beast! Loved the Classic with the Kusala 61s..... The sound aspect has me very interested. Maybe not with the red tie though....I haven't had good results with that shaft.

Thanks for your thoughts on the driver Hawk. It must have not been as windy as it was down here today.

It was definitely windy. I wasn't ballooning any balls though.

It was definitely windy. I wasn't ballooning any balls though.

Hopefully it will warm up soon for you so you can see how it does out on the course. Then you won't be hitting those rocks like you were today. You guys still got snow out on the courses I take it.

Yea, it will take a week or so of temps like we saw today to kill off the snow. I'm thinking it could be awhile.

The -2.25 setting is actually 1.5° higher (so 12°) and 2.25° closed.

Thought 13 seemed funny...thanks for clarifying

Driver sounds good. Very Classic-ish if you're familiar with that. I think most will really enjoy that.

Before I talk too much about ball flight I do want to say I was using range rocks at an outdoor range and it's winter here. Guessing things will change a bit when I put it in on the launch monitor with my normal ball of choice.

Lower ball flight than I expected in the Square position. Just based on the ball flight and my past experiences I'd guess I was tossing up some pretty low spinning balls (and the range rocks were making that worse) and that was probably a pretty big factor in the trajectory.

So, I changed the setting to the +2.25 spot. Oddly, didn't really see a much higher ball like I expected. Also thought the face looked much more open than I'd expect on a closed setting. Turns out I'm an idiot (since I didn't read the manual closely) and that is actually the lower loft/open face setting. Doh! Just figured that out a few minutes ago.

Normal shot shape (right-left) and normal miss (more left), so that's good. Got into a few balls and really liked what I saw - mid trajectory that carried well and took off rolling (will be even better when I bump up the loft though).

Shaft felt good. I think many will like it. I think I could easily go down in flex and still feel like it was holding up for me.

I think I'd like to do a few things to it. First, I'd like to get it to my normal playing length (44.5). Second, would like to work with the higher loft setting. Last, would like to pop the heaviest weight in there - both to balance out the shorter shaft and hopefully raise my launch a bit.

Thanks for the thoughts man. How many weights come with the driver? How does the balance of the weighting feel? Smooth?

Thanks for the thoughts man. How many weights come with the driver? How does the balance of the weighting feel? Smooth?

There are three weights - I don't have the manual here, but I want to say 3g, 7g, and 12g maybe? It comes with the 3g weight and the head is very balanced. I sort of like a head heavy driver, so I think the combination of the heavier weight will not only help me get a little more launch, but also satisfy that want. The nice thing is that they'll allow the user to pop in different shafts and keep a workable swing weight too.

There are three weights - I don't have the manual here, but I want to say 3g, 7g, and 12g maybe? It comes with the 3g weight and the head is very balanced. I sort of like a head heavy driver, so I think the combination of the heavier weight will not only help me get a little more launch, but also satisfy that want. The nice thing is that they'll allow the user to pop in different shafts and keep a workable swing weight too.

This is HUGE for me. I like to swing boulders on sign posts. I'm glad I have the option of that 12 gram weight.

Me too dude. I also like that I can trim the shaft a bit and not have to put a bunch of lead on the bottom.

Me too dude. I also like that I can trim the shaft a bit and not have to put a bunch of lead on the bottom.

Thats big. I love the three weight options too. Most drivers are coming with 2 right now.

You're going to hit this thing so far Tim.

That is big for me. I like a 44" driver, but don't want a ton of lead tape on it. That's the only reason my Amp Cell is 45". This thing is sounding better all the time.

You're going to hit this thing so far Tim.

hahaha I love reading this as well. You and JB are killing me this am haha

That is big for me. I like a 44" driver, but don't want a ton of lead tape on it. That's the only reason my Amp Cell is 45". This thing is sounding better all the time.

Dude we are in the same boat here. We were on the same page with the AMP Cell. I expect the same on this one too.

Now if I can just find my driver swing before the release. I had it around here somewhere, but have completely lost it lately.

Thanks for the thoughts Hawk. Question, what do the back weights help do, control flight? Does the lower weight take it up while the heavier weight bring it down or vise versa?

Back