Why Don't You Take Lessons?

For me it was a bad experience with the instructor. Two years ago I took a series of lessons for a PGA pro, each lessons he watched me hit shots and gave me pointers but never gave me anything thing to work on between lessons. After spending $500 with this guy it makes me reluctant to spend money on lessons.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

So for a total newbie like me, who just started playing golf, has a horrible handicap, and doesn't know much about the intricacies of the game ... what is a good initial valid specific goal?

Honestly, I need so much work in so many areas that I'm not sure that if the pro asked me what I wanted to work on first ... what I should tell him, other than I need to know if my mechanics are good.

Tell him what your miss is. The miss that is killing you. The one that is causing the biggest issues. Where are you losing strokes? Off the tee, around the green, putting? You know your game, your pro really doesn't.

Where are you losing strokes? Off the tee, around the green, putting?
Yes.

I am a 36 handicap for a reason. :crying:

I suppose if you asked me where I wanted the most improvement, it'd be my short game ... since my wedge scares the living crud out of me.

So for a total newbie like me, who just started playing golf, has a horrible handicap, and doesn't know much about the intricacies of the game ... what is a good initial valid specific goal?

Honestly, I need so much work in so many areas that I'm not sure that if the pro asked me what I wanted to work on first ... what I should tell him, other than I need to know if my mechanics are good.

i dont know if my experience helps or not. being new i got a package from golf tec that has a swing analysis. we didnt really start my first session with a goal. we set up for a swing analysis to see where my swing faults are at and man oh man i have tons. this gave us a starting focus to work on. for me mainly it is posture, hip rotation, weight transfer and a horrid grip. one quick follow up from the swing analysis working on those areas already has me smiling at the improvement

I've taken a few lessons, and have a friend who runs the amateur golf association here that I play a lot with in the summer. Those are usually teaching rounds for our group. I'm looking to find a different opinion though, and have a lesson set up with a pro he recommended.

THP #theking #imwithchad

I will not say lessons are bad, because I feel they can be incredibly helpful. But I get asked this question on occasion and the answer is simple, time. No the lesson itself is not time consuming but to get the most out of your lessons you need to be at the range working on what you are taught. Otherwise you are just throwing money away. For me I get one round a week in during golf season and that's about it. I don't make it to the range and extra time I get I spend it on the course.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

If someone has the ability (meaning cost) to play, they have the ability to take lessons. Whether or not they want to do that is a different scenario completely. There are thousands of ways to get instruction. Not all of them are expensive (nor local). People can use the cost as a scape goat and truly mean it. However if they are spending money on the round, the golf balls, the gear and everything else, it really shows that it is not necessarily about the actual affordability.

This is simply NOT true for many of us. I try to play 1-2 times a month. I play at a local course that costs $45/round. Almost all the instructors around my area costs $100-125+ per hour. That's more than 2 rounds! I did take lessons last year at GolfTec which cost me around $500 for 5 lessons. I spend very little money on clubs, mostly used clubs. My putter cost me $35 used! Love it! My Wilson Duo golf balls cost me $20/dz. You'd better believe that I absolutely do my best to never hit such a bad shot that I lose one. I do lose them, but I really, really just try not to.

As you see, my clubs are very new. I WON those clubs in a sweepstakes along with a trip to California. I am still stoked about that trip last Oct. AND my new clubs! I would have never bought those on my own. Maybe in 5+ years I'll get fitted again and buy a new set.

Money is an issue for a lot of people. We are embarrassed to admit it. I've turned down invitations to play because I didn't have the money. So, please do NOT say that money is a 'convenient' excuse to not take lessons. It can be and many times IS the only reason. NOT an excuse!

I'm going to try to take one lesson a month this golf season. But that WILL mean only a lesson and some range time that month. No rounds. Not an excuse, just the facts.

Great topic. I do take lessons now regularly, so I'll answer why I didn't take them for the first 8 years of my golfing life. Primarily, I was enjoying playing the game with mediocre results for many years. I saw some improvement in my scores for the first 5 years or so I played the game. I didn't play that often and enjoyed golf while scoring in the mid to high 90's, with some 100+ sprinkled in.

Now here are the reasons I decided to finally get lessons:

Eventually the improvements stopped. I had grooved my crappy swing and it wasn't getting any better. For 2 to 3 years I was stuck scoring in the 90s with no hope of getting better.

My brother started playing, and I hate losing to him in anything. So my competitive nature started rearing its head.

Now here I sit about 2.5 years later and my game is in a completely different place. No more OTT move, a handicap below 10, and playing much more golf.

The lesson journey can be daunting if you're starting with a swing like I had. You are going to be rebuilding a lot of it from the ground up if you are doing almost nothing correctly with your swing. This can be frustrating, costly and time consuming. You have to be dedicated to the change with the long term in view, and you will probably experience some horrific things on the golf course while transitioning from old to new. Scoring will suffer, there will be days you want to quit as it can take months to groove something new after years of doing things wrong. For example, I struggled as many do with casting the club (OTT) creating an out to in, slicing result. It literally took me 6 or 7 months to change that move for good. I almost gave up about a hundred times during that span, but am thankful I stuck with it. This is why it is so important to believe in what you are doing and the instructor helping you get there. It is also really important to actually do the drills assigned to you, many of which don't involve hitting a ball. This work is tiresome and monotonous so many simply don't commit to this part of the plan. Not doing the work between lessons makes the lessons far less effective thus costing you serious cash as you "relearn" the same things month after month. But eventually, the new swing becomes the norm and you don't even think about the mechanics any more. The day you realize this has taken place is a pretty special day.

So if you're looking for a full swing overhaul, and know your current swing is fatally flawed, a 3 lesson package is probably not going to help you with lasting change.

Now, if you're OK with your flawed full swing, and are looking to knock a few strokes off to beat your buddies, I highly recommend putting and short game lessons and practice. I believe that can be effective almost immediately and really help your scores.

Yes, lessons are a money commitment, but more than that its a time and effort commitment. 1 lesson every 2 weeks requires several hours of drills and practice to make it effective. Is it worth it? Heck Yes! This is a game you can play for life, and if you like to play well, its a no brainer decision.

Why Don't You Take Lessons?

Cost.

The cost for lessons and golftec services are extremely and unnecessarily high for those in the working class IMO. I'd rather be mediocre at the game and spend my money on playing rounds then cut my rounds in half and get lessons and save a few strokes.

There's no guarantee on lessons so it's not a necessity IMO. Plus it's not as fun for me practicing over playing.

TTing

A one hour lesson locally cost me the equivalent of 5 weekday rounds… plus I have 22 and 16 year olds living at home and budget is necessary. I have bought my son a couple of lessons, and I know i could benefit also, but like others I want to hit it in the hole as often as time allows!

This is simply NOT true for many of us. I try to play 1-2 times a month. I play at a local course that costs $45/round. Almost all the instructors around my area costs $100-125+ per hour. That's more than 2 rounds! I did take lessons last year at GolfTec which cost me around $500 for 5 lessons. I spend very little money on clubs, mostly used clubs. My putter cost me $35 used! Love it! My Wilson Duo golf balls cost me $20/dz. You'd better believe that I absolutely do my best to never hit such a bad shot that I lose one. I do lose them, but I really, really just try not to.

As you see, my clubs are very new. I WON those clubs in a sweepstakes along with a trip to California. I am still stoked about that trip last Oct. AND my new clubs! I would have never bought those on my own. Maybe in 5+ years I'll get fitted again and buy a new set.

Money is an issue for a lot of people. We are embarrassed to admit it. I've turned down invitations to play because I didn't have the money. So, please do NOT say that money is a 'convenient' excuse to not take lessons. It can be and many times IS the only reason. NOT an excuse!

I'm going to try to take one lesson a month this golf season. But that WILL mean only a lesson and some range time that month. No rounds. Not an excuse, just the facts.

For what its worth those are my feelings and I believe in them. Nobody needs to sell me on the struggles that people have financially, I know all about them and how absolutely real they are. What I will say is if someone is struggling so badly that time away from the game (I did it for 7 years) is the best way around the cost issue. Although I hate that we live in a world where this happens. Going to the range instead of playing is far cheaper. Not buying any clubs instead of used clubs is also cheaper. But as you said, you would rather play 2 rounds of golf and buy $20 a dozen balls. Those two rounds of golf and $20 a dozen do cost more than their lesson at GolfTEC did (and GolfTEC is on the higher end of things price wise).

In my second example I mentioned lower cost instruction through online as an option, but this absolutely furthers my thoughts on it. Just as you said, you would much rather play two rounds than have the one lesson. Im not saying anybody is wrong in that thought process either. But that is not about being able to afford it. That is about choosing on a limited budget which item you want more. Playing vs Lessons, since in your post, the cost was more for playing than it was for lessons (assuming only 1 dozen was purchased for the 2 rounds).

I've only taken one formal lesson in my life. The guy I've always trusted with my swing was my college baseball hitting coach. He's always been the one that cleaned up my swing. I've since moved away, and haven't had any help the last two years. The truth is, I don't trust the two golf pros in our area. It's probably not fair because I've never given them a chance. I've gotten down to single digit hdcp on my own and I don't need a swing makeover. I need things tightened up occasionally. What i'm really looking for is instructor that really can help with the short game; chipping and putting.

Cost.

The cost for lessons and golftec services are extremely and unnecessarily high for those in the working class IMO. I'd rather be mediocre at the game and spend my money on playing rounds then cut my rounds in half and get lessons and save a few strokes.

There's no guarantee on lessons so it's not a necessity IMO. Plus it's not as fun for me practicing over playing.

TTing

Cost! One lesson costs me more than I spend in an entire month of rounds (1-2 rounds). I actually enjoy range work and still work on some of the drills I got from my lessons last year. I only got to play about 5 times last year because I took lessons. I would LOVE to take 2-4 lessons a month. But it's just not going to happen. As I said, maybe one lesson a month witch would eliminate that month's full round.

Going to the range instead of playing is far cheaper.
Actually, if I walk nine it costs me $10. Two buckets of balls costs me $8. That may change since we're in the off-season right now, but I actually hate to go the range because I feel like I've wasted my money because for a couple of dollars more I actually get to go out and play at least half a round.

For what its worth those are my feelings and I believe in them. Nobody needs to sell me on the struggles that people have financially, I know all about them and how absolutely real they are. What I will say is if someone is struggling so badly that time away from the game (I did it for 7 years) is the best way around the cost issue. Although I hate that we live in a world where this happens. Going to the range instead of playing is far cheaper. Not buying any clubs instead of used clubs is also cheaper. But as you said, you would rather play 2 rounds of golf and buy $20 a dozen balls. Those two rounds of golf and $20 a dozen do cost more than their lesson at GolfTEC did (and GolfTEC is on the higher end of things price wise).

In my second example I mentioned lower cost instruction through online as an option, but this absolutely furthers my thoughts on it. Just as you said, you would much rather play two rounds than have the one lesson. Im not saying anybody is wrong in that thought process either. But that is not about being able to afford it. That is about choosing on a limited budget which item you want more. Playing vs Lessons, since in your post, the cost was more for playing than it was for lessons (assuming only 1 dozen was purchased for the 2 rounds).

When I take a lesson, I can't play any rounds for a month. You are right, the costs for one lesson, and the costs for 2 rounds for a month are just about equal. I AM going to try to take as many lessons as I can this summer. BUT it will mean NO rounds for that month I take a lesson!!! So, I WILL try to alternate one lesson, the next month practice and 1-2 rounds. It is about allocating my money to get the most out of my enjoyable golf time.

I just wanted to make sure that people stop saying that cost is just an excuse. It is a reality.

When I take a lesson, I can't play any rounds for a month. You are right, the costs for one lesson, and the costs for 2 rounds for a month are just about equal. I AM going to try to take as many lessons as I can this summer. BUT it will mean NO rounds for that month I take a lesson!!! So, I WILL try to alternate one lesson, the next month practice and 1-2 rounds. It is about allocating my money to get the most out of my enjoyable golf time.

I just wanted to make sure that people stop saying that cost is just an excuse. It is a reality.

But thats not an absolute either, for some it is reality but for many it IS an excuse, I know it was for me for a long time.

I wanted to commit to a GolfTec lesson plan a few years back, but as luck would have it, a day after my initial visit and swing analysis, I lost my job. So, that was a no go. Cost is a factor with me, but I think the biggest thing for me is the inability to commit to a program and having the time to do so. For me, lessons at Golftec or anyone worth a hoot, would require 30 minutes one way, and 30 minutes back. Doable? Sure. Just not something I would be able to do each and every week, or enough to make it worth my while.

It took me a while to take lessons at first... I never felt like the instructors I was seeing were helping much, if at all. One of my friends had urged me to take a lesson at Hereford Golf Center with Bruce Gerwig, and it was like a light bulb went off! He fits my learning style - which I think is HUGE in an instructor! I take lessons fairly regularly now, but it is mainly to maintain my swing and diagnose a problem or potential problem. I actually love hitting balls on the range, ( but I always try to have an idea in mind on what I want to accomplish ) but physically with my back / shoulder, I just can't handle it on a regular enough basis to make a more serious swing change. And time is another issue.

We are going to have to agree to disagree, but once again, it is not reality. It is a choice. You are choosing to play golf instead of a lesson. The budget dictates you can do either one and you choose playing. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, heck I might do the exact same thing. But its not a cost thing in this scenario. Its a choice thing and you would prefer to play (as most would).

Money money money and oh yea, money.

If someone has the ability (meaning cost) to play, they have the ability to take lessons. Whether or not they want to do that is a different scenario completely. There are thousands of ways to get instruction. Not all of them are expensive (nor local). People can use the cost as a scape goat and truly mean it. However if they are spending money on the round, the golf balls, the gear and everything else, it really shows that it is not necessarily about the actual affordability.

I do agree with you, and I think I should probably learn to think out what I want to say before I type it out.

What I should have been more clear about is that due to the cost of taking lessons, for many it comes down to a choice - do you play, or do you take lessons? For me, I would rather play, because I enjoy the game, whether or not I suck at it, which I do. Would I like to get better? Wouldn't we all? But the fact of the matter is that my time to do things is in very short supply, and I would honestly have rather played a really bad round of golf with a buddy than go take a lesson, and probably not get a chance to work on what I've been taught, and, even worse, not get a chance to put it into play. So, in terms of money, yes we can afford it if we're paying greens fees or buying equipment, but, for many of us it could be that series of lessons, although helpful, may mean that we don't get to play for a while.

I get the bit about instruction coming from anywhere, but, in my example, that didn't work. I need someone there to put me in to the proper positions so that I get the proper feeling for me. Some people do not need that hands on teaching, so the different avenues of instruction at that point would apply to them.

My question would be are you going to play competitive golf or bump it around the bushes type golf? If you're playing for your flight at the club championship or even a desire to be the champ, you may need lessons to hone your skills. Now you bump it around the bushes type golfers who enjoy the company, fresh air, and time away from barking dogs, grumpy ole ladies, bad day at work and stuff, forget the lessons and go play.

Last edited:
I took 7 lessons over a few weeks time when I started learning golf 6 months ago. I wanted to spend some time building on what I was taught and to learn the game.

In the mean time I have been working on the tour academy DVD home lessons and have picked up a lot.

I plan to take more in the future. Probably in the form of courses first. There is a golf school near me that offers various one and two day schools year round.

For me its cost. Lessons are just to expensive for me right now. Id love to get better and when Ive taken lessons in the past Ive really enjoyed it and learned a lot but right now, golf lessons arent high on my list of things to spend my disposable income on.

We are going to have to agree to disagree, but once again, it is not reality. It is a choice. You are choosing to play golf instead of a lesson. The budget dictates you can do either one and you choose playing. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, heck I might do the exact same thing. But its not a cost thing in this scenario. Its a choice thing and you would prefer to play (as most would).

I do agree with you that it is a choice. Cost does become a factor when you can do either one or the other. I'm going to try to take lessons without missing out on many rounds. I will take lessons this summer. But I will have to sacrifice playing a couple of rounds. But I AM a firm believer in lessons. I know that I will only get marginally better without lessons.

Back