Phil Mickelson - Big Bertha Alpha

jhstew1

Idiot Free
Reaction score
Handicap
5.8 Ghin
Phil Mickelson is excited about a new club in his bag as he is ready to make his 2014 debut at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.

Mickelson, who won the Open Championship last year at Muirfield and again expressed his desire to complete the career Grand Slam by winning the U.S. Open this summer at Pinehurst, told reporters at Abu Dhabi Golf Club on Tuesday that a new Callaway driver he's been testing could make 2014 a big year.

"As I look back on 2013, I played some of my best golf and had some huge breakthroughs, but I did most of it without a driver,'' Mickelson said. "This year I have the best driver [Big Bertha Alpha] I've ever hit that lowers my spin rate just like my 3-wood. I drive it longer and straighter with my driver than I did with my 3-wood.

"It's a whole different weapon in my arsenal now, and if I drive the ball well -- like I have been in practice and in the offseason -- heading into this 2014 season, it could be the best year of my career for that simple reason.''

Read More: http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10291502/phil-mickelson-changes-new-driver-tweaks-2014-schedule

I'll be curious to see how long this club stays in his bag. He played great for a few weeks with thE RFE last year until ditching it for the 3deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be curious to see how long this club stays in his bag. He played great for a few weeks with thE RFE last year until ditching it for the 3deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, he's been boasting about this for a couple months now (although he hasn't competed with it to my knowledge). It will be interesting to see how he does with it, but I think it's a home run for him.

I can't wait to see the numbers from Phil with his Alpha, and to see what he can do at Scottsdale this year, with all this confidence with it.

Phil is a head case. He won the Waste Management with the RFE (which he was straight up bombing) and then started screwing around with things for Augusta with the Phrankenwood. He didn't need a driver to win the Open Championship, but I feel that his tinkering has resulted in less success than he would have had.

I see a 2 deep being the 2014 answer....aka phrankewood revisited

It's funny that Phil get ribbed or criticized for doing what most average golfers do on a daily basis, switch for the newest and best. I wonder if he gives into the marketing.

All I know is when that guy starts braggin' ... watch out. I'm betting on a really hot start. We'll see if he can sustain it.

It's funny that Phil get ribbed or criticized for doing what most average golfers do on a daily basis, switch for the newest and best. I wonder if he gives into the marketing.

The one common thing that separates most average golfer's and Phil is....he plays for a ton of money!!! I think Phil is a "searcher" and tinkerer. does anyone remember the whole flip face putter? That was a Phil idea. Wish Phil would just stick to a 3 deep and keep winning.

The one common thing that separates most average golfer's and Phil is....he plays for a ton of money!!! I think Phil is a "searcher" and tinkerer. does anyone remember the whole flip face putter? That was a Phil idea. Wish Phil would just stick to a 3 deep and keep winning.
I agree he is a "searcher and tinkerer" but who isn't? He has career earnings close to 80 mil, 51 wins & 5 majors so he is doing something right.

It was mentioned at ECPC that he is BIG into his numbers and trying out different clubs. Many guys don't care what they are playing and pick stuff out by simply watching the ball leave the club on the range, but he is much different.

I got this month's Golf Digest in the mail yesterday and the front cover was Phil and the Big Bertha Driver - they looked pretty good together. I am really curious to see how he does with Big Bertha in the bag this weekend.

Im curious where you heard that? Link?

Phil has been nothing but consistent through his career. He tinkers and changes and plays balls to wall. Askinh or wishing he would change his spots would kill the Phil so many love.

The money he makes is of no consequence in the discussion. He is the peoples champion to the core. And as I said before he switches gear in hopes of finding the best. The difference between us and him, he knows what the best feels like. Everyone ekse is grasping at straws

Lets be honest here, if we all had access to products, testing & fitting like Phil or any Tour player we would do it in a heart beat & as often as possible, not to mention with all the amazing products Callaway has come out with over the last 2 years, he has to try them to see if they work for him

People quickly forget that Phil won with a driver change early in 2013 also. He switched to RFE and picked up the win. Then switched again and won again.

People quickly forget that Phil won with a driver change early in 2013 also. He switched to RFE and picked up the win. Then switched again and won again.

I don't think any of that has come in to question. Phil is the ultimate club ho. Just like you or me, when we get something new it's the best and the reason for success, until the next big thing. I don't fault him one bit for being excited about a club. Hell, I'm excited about too.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Yes, if I played for a ton of money I think it would be even more important to have the best of the best at all times. I think Phil looks a little too much at his equipment, when it is (as it is with most of us) his swing or whatever that goes out of sorts.

Tiger is also a tinkerer but he does it with the swing and not so much the equipment it seems.

I like Big Phil. I think he always is striving to get better be it with coaching, gear etc. I hope he wins the US Open at Pinehurst, be it with or without the Bertha in his bag. He knows what works for him.

Phil likes to tinker. If you're a company like Callaway, how could you not love having him talk equipment in the news room just about every week?

Phil likes to tinker. If you're a company like Callaway, how could you not love having him talk equipment in the news room just about every week?

Good point! I imagine it'd be fun to bounce ideas off him & get feedback, if you were a club designer.

The Callaway Talks with Harry and Phil was pretty good and sheds some light on the driver issue. He seems to think this is going to be his year.

If the BB Alpha does as advertised to lower his spin rate to that of the 3 wood. I see him getting off to a hot start like last year.

I'll be keeping an eye on Phil and seeing how long he keeps this new driver in the bag. He started off well with the RFE but we all know how that turned out in the end. I've read so many articles where analysts explain why Phil struggles with a driver in his hands and IMO it doesn't matter what new weapon he games, he's always going to struggle.

Back