The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks dude. I'm excited to LEARN more about the swing. I know a lot of what I'm doing and how I should be fixing it, but I really find myself needing new eyes and new descriptions as I learn best that way.

I'm not near your skill or knowledge level but I have learned a ton so far and I know there is more for me to learn about it. Sometimes my instructor has to tell me two or three different ways for me to get it.

I'm also very quizzical by nature and want to know the why and what's next when learning something new. As it helps me get the idea, theory and feel sunk into my thick head.

Had an informative range session at lunch today (twice in three days...not shabby for January). Took some videos I could dissect and had a good discussion afterward with Bear4Ever about areas that need some work...specifically takeaway getting the rest of the swing into trouble, and/or shortening the swing (which is my great white whale).

Planning on doing some work on those for the next month or so and then decide on lessons (the instructor I would want to use is 90 minutes away, so not a no brainer).

AS hawk said now is ideal, keep the swing going in the winter months, get everything locked in and then when the weather turns you will be ready to take it outdoors

I like to practice into nets for swing fixes and changes. I find I make more progress when "not" watching my ball flight. Once it's warm and I'm outside it's easy to tweak my new swing changes for ball flight.

Thanks I guys I was kinda thinking this way. Say you can never have to much practice. So how often do you guys practice then? Once a week every other week?

Went to take a couple CMB and Vrs irons in to get some numbers and hit some of the new stuff. Kc720 showed up as well and had a great time and he helped me look at some things differently in my swing. Albeit suggestions of course, but made some sense for sure! Hit some X2hot product in irons and woods as well as went to slam some SLDR goodies. Kc720 put his red tie into the SLDR 3W and holy cow! Tried to speak with the guy I had a swing eval with last year at GolfTec, but he was at lunch. Took way to many swings, but was fun. Thanks for meeting up with me Kang!

Went to take a couple CMB and Vrs irons in to get some numbers and hit some of the new stuff. Kc720 showed up as well and had a great time and he helped me look at some things differently in my swing. Albeit suggestions of course, but made some sense for sure! Hit some X2hot product in irons and woods as well as went to slam some SLDR goodies. Kc720 put his red tie into the SLDR 3W and holy cow! Tried to speak with the guy I had a swing eval with last year at GolfTec, but he was at lunch. Took way to many swings, but was fun. Thanks for meeting up with me Kang!

Yeah I posted in the sldr fairway thread as I couldnt get it out of my mind... 290 off the deck with a 15° head at sea level! :shock: it was impressive for sure buddy

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Question for everyone. Since i live in the north central of Illinois I still can't get out on the course. Should I start lessons now or maybe wait till I can use what I have been tought out on the course. I don't want to practice at a heated range or inside not be able to go out on the course. I think the best Idea is probably go take lessons now so I can get my game figured out and fixed early before its to late.

Take them now, so when the season fires up your ready to go and not fighting swing changes and trying to score. I did the later last yr, this yr I'm taking lessons over winter so swing will be rebuilt and ready for the season.
There are benefits to hitting inside if you are working on things and doing things right. You can't see the ball flight so you don't compensate for ball flight, your not worried about distance or hitting your target.

Thanks I guys I was kinda thinking this way. Say you can never have to much practice. So how often do you guys practice then? Once a week every other week?

I practice at least 3 days a week either working on the move or striking balls. Some days it's just working on little pieces of the swing over and over. I use video software a lot to makes sure I'm doing things right.

Take them now, so when the season fires up your ready to go and not fighting swing changes and trying to score. I did the later last yr, this yr I'm taking lessons over winter so swing will be rebuilt and ready for the season.
There are benefits to hitting inside if you are working on things and doing things right. You can't see the ball flight so you don't compensate for ball flight, your not worried about distance or hitting your target.

I practice at least 3 days a week either working on the move or striking balls. Some days it's just working on little pieces of the swing over and over. I use video software a lot to makes sure I'm doing things right.

Think Im going to stop by and see about lessons tomorrow. Im at home now with some stomach issues so Iam eating tums and reading THP lol... So I usually practice m-f with putting and hitting balls in the basement. So how often do you take lessons now or durring the winter?

Think Im going to stop by and see about lessons tomorrow. Im at home now with some stomach issues so Iam eating tums and reading THP lol... So I usually practice m-f with putting and hitting balls in the basement. So how often do you take lessons now or durring the winter?

I was going once a week for a couple weeks till my instructor went to Florida he will be back next week and we will get back at it.

My lesson plan is a little different. My instructor does a coach/student plan which covers all lessons, on course lessons, short game, mental, club eval and launch monitor time. This is covered under one fee for the yr. I have had 3 lessons so far and suspect I will end up north of 20 for the yr plus playing lessons.

Depending on what you and the instructor put together for a plan and how well you take to the changes. Once a week for the first couple depending on how drastic the changes are then every two or three from there out.

I was going once a week for a couple weeks till my instructor went to Florida he will be back next week and we will get back at it.

My lesson plan is a little different. My instructor does a coach/student plan which covers all lessons, on course lessons, short game, mental, club eval and launch monitor time. This is covered under one fee for the yr. I have had 3 lessons so far and suspect I will end up north of 20 for the yr plus playing lessons.

Depending on what you and the instructor put together for a plan and how well you take to the changes. Once a week for the first couple depending on how drastic the changes are then every two or three from there out.
Thanks for the advice, I will talk to the instructor and see what we can come up with. Really looking to better my game so when the time comes to get out there ill be doing all pars or birdies. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice, I will talk to the instructor and see what we can come up with. Really looking to better my game so when the time comes to get out there ill be doing all pars or birdies. Thanks again.

No problem at all, keep us up on what happens

Practiced and did a little product testing for an hour. Took some video for the Panda.

Had my first lesson today.

We worked on the range for a solid hour, it was great. He let me explain to him my thoughts and I told him I was self taught and what I knew I was doing a lot of but how I struggle to fix it myself and really needed new eyes and a new way of explaining things. He let me hit some 8i's and then we got to working.

My takeaway is on plane, which is a relief, I have fixed SOMETHING, but my main issues are in my weight on the downswing (out on toes so HAVE to OTT), not extending through the ball (little winging it in there) to finish, and my setup was wonky (close feet, open shoulders, club on line = no way to be consistent). Worked the foot together drill with 3/4 swings focusing on keeping my hands in front of my chest and also a right foot back drill. Spent a LOT of time hitting the 5i and working setup, extension, bakc of the hand and TALKING through it.

I'm a Tucker fan. Went and played 4 holes after to work what we talked about and did so well, BLISTERED Bertha and the 588 hybo big time. I think I found a long term local teacher to be honest. Was very Panda like in his explanations and descriptions to me. A Tucker and a Panda could be dangerous to have on my side.

Usually spend about 10-15 mins putting on the birdie ball green, now that I'm in the #THPMC upped that a bit :D Spent about 30 mins hitting putts from 3-6 feet. I want to be as automatic as possible from short to mid range. Really focusing on what the SPi instructor I went to this summer told me. Putted as much as I could till my back was about to give out on me. #TheGrindStartedToday #TheGrindIsReal #LoveIt

Had my first lesson today.

We worked on the range for a solid hour, it was great. He let me explain to him my thoughts and I told him I was self taught and what I knew I was doing a lot of but how I struggle to fix it myself and really needed new eyes and a new way of explaining things. He let me hit some 8i's and then we got to working.

My takeaway is on plane, which is a relief, I have fixed SOMETHING, but my main issues are in my weight on the downswing (out on toes so HAVE to OTT), not extending through the ball (little winging it in there) to finish, and my setup was wonky (close feet, open shoulders, club on line = no way to be consistent). Worked the foot together drill with 3/4 swings focusing on keeping my hands in front of my chest and also a right foot back drill. Spent a LOT of time hitting the 5i and working setup, extension, bakc of the hand and TALKING through it.

I'm a Tucker fan. Went and played 4 holes after to work what we talked about and did so well, BLISTERED Bertha and the 588 hybo big time. I think I found a long term local teacher to be honest. Was very Panda like in his explanations and descriptions to me. A Tucker and a Panda could be dangerous to have on my side.

That's good stuff James, it's nice to have some things to work on and then see instant results out on the course.

#TeamTHP will be a tough nut to crack. But you guys aren't the only ones that are working! :alien:

I have been doing half an hour a night putting on my birdbieball green also. Good to see your already on it man, I imagine you and me can't wait till it gets warm enough so we can be out on the course. You guys still got snow on the ground up there?
Usually spend about 10-15 mins putting on the birdie ball green, now that I'm in the #THPMC upped that a bit :D Spent about 30 mins hitting putts from 3-6 feet. I want to be as automatic as possible from short to mid range. Really focusing on what the SPi instructor I went to this summer told me. Putted as much as I could till my back was about to give out on me. #TheGrindStartedToday #TheGrindIsReal #LoveIt

I spent an hour on putts inside 10 feet and worked all kinds of different green side shots for another two hours. Also worked on a little pre shot routine that I think is really going to help me. I'm starting to have a lot of fun practicing short game and that is a good sign for me.

First lesson was this past Sunday. I am working on the take away without a ball. as I don't have time to get to the range this week. Really not an issue with the drills I am doing. Hope to get to the range this coming Sunday to see how the drills are working. Next lesson is scheduled for the following Sunday. Short game work, here I come.

I have been doing half an hour a night putting on my birdbieball green also. Good to see your already on it man, I imagine you and me can't wait till it gets warm enough so we can be out on the course. You guys still got snow on the ground up there?

Unfortunately we still do. A lot less than last week, but who knows when the next storm will come. Indoor practice for the next month or two for this guy. Dying to get outside and practice tho.

Unfortunately we still do. A lot less than last week, but who knows when the next storm will come. Indoor practice for the next month or two for this guy. Dying to get outside and practice tho.

Same here man, you guys got a inside dome over there or a heated range?

Same here man, you guys got a inside dome over there or a heated range?

The closes dome I practice at is about 45 mins away. I make that trip usually 2-3 times a month, but I have a simulator I do an indoor league on about 2 mins from my work and 15 mins from my house. That's once a week for the league but I try and get there more for practice.

Had a eureka moment today at the range. The past month I've been struggling at times with ball striking, its just not been as consistent as I had hoped and I've been pushing shots right and lost about a club of length.

Going back to basics at the range today I was going through everything covered in the lessons I had taken and it was the very first thing I was told that made the biggest difference. I moved back away from the ball a little more and bang, instantly I was hitting the ball straighter and further than at any time in the past few weeks. It felt a little awkward but it seems to help my swing plane stay in shape, I was even hitting it with a slight draw rather than a push.

There is a green at the range about 150 out, on Monday I was having trouble reaching it with a 6 iron, like I was dropping it well short. Today, in a very strong headwind i was carrying it to the back of the green with the same club, without the wind I think an easy 7 or a harder 8 could get there.

Can't believe such a small and simple thing has been having such a huge impact on my ball striking!

Shame the weather is terrible here or I'd be booking a tee time for the morning!

Gotta love a little breakthrough swellins. Keep it up.

Worked specifically with my 3 hybrid last night for my hour session. Wanted to make sure that my swing was translating well from all the success I was having with my irons. I felt like I struck the ball pretty well. Really was getting good feedback from the club on off center/thinned shots. I feel like I am becoming more and more consistent with my back swing. I tend to get lazy near the end of sessions and notice I am not getting my hips through as much as I should, but overall, still very pleased.

The Super S 3H is suuuuper easy to hit. Really feel like that sweet spot is huge on that club. I've enjoyed my time I have spent with it so far and I am anxious to get some distances on a monitor soon.

I am getting home late tonight from the office, so I will probably just roll the flat stick for 30-35 minutes, concentrating on promoting a consistent roll. It'll be a nice break, since I have been doing full swings for 4 nights in a row now.

Had a eureka moment today at the range. The past month I've been struggling at times with ball striking, its just not been as consistent as I had hoped and I've been pushing shots right and lost about a club of length.

Going back to basics at the range today I was going through everything covered in the lessons I had taken and it was the very first thing I was told that made the biggest difference. I moved back away from the ball a little more and bang, instantly I was hitting the ball straighter and further than at any time in the past few weeks. It felt a little awkward but it seems to help my swing plane stay in shape, I was even hitting it with a slight draw rather than a push.

There is a green at the range about 150 out, on Monday I was having trouble reaching it with a 6 iron, like I was dropping it well short. Today, in a very strong headwind i was carrying it to the back of the green with the same club, without the wind I think an easy 7 or a harder 8 could get there.

Can't believe such a small and simple thing has been having such a huge impact on my ball striking!

Shame the weather is terrible here or I'd be booking a tee time for the morning!

It still amazes me how small changes can make such a huge difference in your results. Keep it up dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back