odd question. olympic gold or ryder cup

In any case the problem is that there is already a world stage for golfers and its a very publicized one. I don't think having it in the Olympics does anything different than the already extremely popularized golf events that take place all year every year along with great history that is attached to them.
Golf doesn't get into the Olympics unless the PGA throws considerable effort into it*. So obviously the PGA sees value in having golf in the Olympics. Maybe it's to draw in younger crowds, get them exposure to golf at an event that covers a wide swath of athletic prowess ... maybe it "mainstreams" golf a bit more and makes it more accessible to kids.

*By the looks of it, the PGA is overseeing the course's construction for the 2016 Rio Olympics and the course was designed by an American. Read it here.

Last edited:
Golf doesn't get into the Olympics unless the PGA throws considerable effort into it. So obviously the PGA sees value in having golf in the Olympics. Maybe it's to draw in younger crowds, get them exposure to golf at an event that covers a wide swath of athletic prowess ... maybe it "mainstreams" golf a bit more and makes it more accessible to kids.

i like this. im in my 40's and just starting golf. reason being? exposure this past year from co workers. i didnt know a thing about golf or ever had golf cross my mind when i was a kid

I like the fact it's the best in the world not just the best from a country and a continent.

For me, not even close, it's the Ryder Cup.

It's close, but I'd have to go with the Olympics. I have been a fan of the Olympics as long as I can remember and it has always been a dream of mine.

I think I would lean towards Olympic golf....if it was individual achievement. It would represent at that moment that you were truly the best in the world at something. The Ryder Cup would be awesome to be a part of but you could play your best and still not come home with anything

Ryder Cup. If it were between Ryder Cup and any other sport in the Olympics than golf, I might think of something, but...yeah Ryder Cup.

Competitively, the sport won't change. The best competition plays in majors on the PGA Tour. I highly doubt that there is a golfer, in a lesser known country, that would be able to compete with the golfers we see on a weekly basis.

However, I would choose the olympics. To be able to participate in opening/closing ceremonies, olympic village and represent your country in front of the rest of the world will never be matched. Sure, the Ryder Cup has its prestige but the olympics would allow athletes to showcase their talent, and sport, to people who wouldn't see otherwise.

Go for the gold!

Last edited:
I would have to say the Ryder Cup.

Ryder Cup. Olympics really do nothing for me these days.
Couldn't agree more, plus the history and rivalry of the Ryder Cup just seems to be so big!

Gold Medal hands down. Outside of the world of golf, if you told somebody you won a gold medal at the Olympics, that will resonate. Tell them you won the Ryder Cup, and they may ask you the name of your horse.

I'd say Olympic gold. Probably because it's still a novelty. But maybe after a fee Olympics have passed I'll change my mind.

I really want to say Ryder Cup, but as a Canadian, I wouldn't be eligible. Only the "other" cup. So, I would say Olympic Gold strictly based on elimination.

Ryder Cup. Personally I don't think golf as an Olympic event will be a success and will be eliminated soon. Do we even know the format yet?

Last edited:
I'd say gold metal and I'll add that I am NOT in favor of professionals in any sport being involved in the Olympics. I say the gold for amateurs and the Ryder Cup for the pro's. Huge money has changed the Olympics forever. Sort of sad I think. I no longer watch any of it.

Ryder Cup for me. I do like some of the Olympics, but I love the Ryder Cup.

Ryder Cup for me

Well, considering a Bazillion people watch the Olympics and relatively speaking 10 watch the Ryder cup, I'll take the Olympics at any point in time during the day. My numbers may be off a smidge, but you get the point.

odd question. olympic gold or ryder cup

If I was a professional golfer, it would be the Ryder Cup no question. I doubt very few professional golfers actually give a stuff about a gold medal.

If I was a professional golfer, it would be the Ryder Cup no question. I doubt very few professional golfers actually give a stuff about a gold medal.

I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't much care about the Olympics but I'm sure that at the opening ceremonies their opinion may change. Don't forget though that many professional golfers don't qualify for the Ryder Cup.

I'd probably go Olympics. As an American, I would think being selected for the Olympics would be harder due to fewer spots (Euro might be easier since all the countries are combined for the Ryder Cup). That along with fewer chances, every 4 years vs. every 2 years, would lean toward the Olympic medal. To me it would be the rarer accomplishment of the two.

Olympic Gold. I love the Ryder Cup it's by far the great golf event ever. But to represent your country against the best in the WORLD. That's something.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Ryder cup, all day everyday.

Back