2014 Nike Method Mod and Core - THP Review Thread

Love that face on the MOD. I'm very impressed with what they do the face the milling and grooves work great for me.

This is the first putter in years that has actually had me saying "oh my god" to the pictures.
The red inset on the back of those mallets reminds me of the tail lights on the new Dodge Chargers and I love it. Complete with the sound slot and neatly milled face makes for a really cool looking putter! Now to see if I can find one in the Mod 40 profile.

Love that face on the MOD. I'm very impressed with what they do the face the milling and grooves work great for me.

I love that groove technology.

I really love the looks of the Mod 60.I tend to like a mallet type with a little weight to it.

Those are some very sharp looking putters. I've never rolled a Nike putter but I may have to give the MOD line a shot.

I find this to be a very callous post. You are doing yourself a disservice by not reading the exceptional work of the THP staff writers.

Not sure why you felt the need to say it -- I guess people are here for various reasons -- But I hope you reconsider. Un-bias feedback straight from the every day golfer is gold.

I apologize, wasn't intended to be callous to much as a sort of reverse Playboy reference of reading the articles and not for the pictures. I'm aware that my sense of humor functions on a different wavelength than many people's, so I've no problem with apologizing if something meant as a joke isn't taken that way.

In this case I read the tech specs and sort of skimmed the writeup, which yes, did mention the offset. I did see that but didn't ask what I would have if I had really thought about it, which is, as you address the 05, does it strike you as a genuinely full-shaft offset, or closer to half-shaft?

I apologize, wasn't intended to be callous to much as a sort of reverse Playboy reference of reading the articles and not for the pictures. I'm aware that my sense of humor functions on a different wavelength than many people's, so I've no problem with apologizing if something meant as a joke isn't taken that way.

In this case I read the tech specs and sort of skimmed the writeup, which yes, did mention the offset. I did see that but didn't ask what I would have if I had really thought about it, which is, as you address the 05, does it strike you as a genuinely full-shaft offset, or closer to half-shaft?

Full shaft offset on a putter for me always sets up like a full shaft, this is no different.

Gonna double putter it today, both in the bag, will be good for some post round putting practice to work on my thoughts. Eager to get the Core outside.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated my friend.

I know your going to put the Methods through some paces. I have been a fan of these putters since they were released. I hope the technology shines.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated my friend.

I know your going to put the Methods through some paces. I have been a fan of these putters since they were released. I hope the technology shines.

I've always agreed that the grooves work and do so well, I've just never been a fan of the look or the balance of the designs I've rolled. So far the Mod 60 has changed that tune a bit, but I'm honestly most curious about the core, indoors the sound/feel was not what I anticipated at all.

Gonna double putter it today, both in the bag, will be good for some post round putting practice to work on my thoughts. Eager to get the Core outside.

You better not play with more then 14 clubs. Or I'll phone it in to the USGA! Wait you can't do that this year? You win this round Jman....

You said the sound isn't what you anticpated at all, is it more muted/soft sound or does it have a bit of a harshness to it?

You better not play with more then 14 clubs. Or I'll phone it in to the USGA! Wait you can't do that this year? You win this round Jman....

You said the sound isn't what you anticpated at all, is it more muted/soft sound or does it have a bit of a harshness to it?

Hahahaha, usually about 18-20 in my bag depending on what testing is going on dude, I am non USGA compliant!

Its a tweener, not super soft and dead, but not harsh and plasticky. I expected extremely harsh with the polymetal grooves and multi material insert, not at all what I'm getting, which is good.

Hahahaha, usually about 18-20 in my bag depending on what testing is going on dude, I am non USGA compliant!

Its a tweener, not super soft and dead, but not harsh and plasticky. I expected extremely harsh with the polymetal grooves and multi material insert, not at all what I'm getting, which is good.

I just need to get out of this thread. This putter is becoming a distinct purchase possibility and you've barely had it out on the course. The thing that was probably holding me back the most was the face of this thing. It seems to be pretty solid from the initial thoughts.

I just need to get out of this thread. This putter is becoming a distinct purchase possibility and you've barely had it out on the course. The thing that was probably holding me back the most was the face of this thing. It seems to be pretty solid from the initial thoughts.

I'm def ready to get it outdoors, sound can change alot from my putting green to the outside world

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, the past couple of days I've been able to spend more time with both of these outdoors on the course as well as on the putting green.

So, some thoughts:

Method-Mod 60:
  • Seriously one of the best looking number 9's I have laid my hands on, I mean that.
  • Milling both on the face and the bumpers is impeccable, its looks definitely scream "high-end putter"
  • Feel/Sound is plus off of the face, not clicky, not too soft, rides that in-between of a well milled putter feel really well.
  • The Polymetal grooves work well without sacrificing sound or feel. Quick roll, the grooves do seem to work.
  • Balance is nice, typical full toe hang heel shafted #9 there, works well with an Arc's stroke (but ALL strokes are arc's to an extent :alien:)
  • Truly impressed with Nike here, the subtle adaptations and changes while embracing classic designs (adding hi-toes) is well done IMO. They've really improved the Mod lines.
  • 345g is a good weight for this head, has a nice swing weight to it.

Method-Core MC05W:
  • Flow neck sets up nice
  • Nice take on a Zing style, the stepped flange is a different twist
  • Extremely long feeling/looking at address from heel to toe, close to feeling like it is too elongated
  • Insert combined with the Polymetal Grooves is the surprise here, great roll, not a harsh insert and not like putting a marshmallow either. You KNOW its an insert, but its a solid "tweener" insert IMO.
  • Good balance through the stroke with the flow neck.
  • This one honestly shocked me so far.

Had you rolled the Core series before James? I bought one awhile back and it's pretty nice. I like the shape of this one.

Had you rolled the Core series before James? I bought one awhile back and it's pretty nice. I like the shape of this one.

I had rolled the original version of the Method and honestly wasn't all that impressed, the forward roll was nice but everything else left something to be desired for me. These though, they've come a long way and did just right in making the classic shapes unique.

Love that the Mod 60 is performing for you and isn't just a looker. It's a beautiful looking flat stick for sure. I just need to get my hands on one of these to spend some time with.

The step on the MC05W is definitely interesting. Still think it looks a hell of a lot like a Seemore ITZ. I'm not in love with the Core as much in the looks department.

!!e!VkDgBGM~$(KGrHqMOKpQE0U4gMq2tBNP4o22nsQ~~_35.JPG

DSC_1250-L.jpg

It's nice to hear to the these inserts are for real. I've heard a lot of people grumble about them and it really sounds like Nike got it right.

See, I don't think those look anything alike. hahaha

The thing about inserts to remember is this, traditional insert users typically like a SOFT insert a-la Odyssey, they don't want a more firm insert so they don't care for anything that rides int hat middle region as much. Whereas on the other hand non-insert users typically don't like any insert because they are all too muted from a feedback standpoint compared to CS or SS. Its why so many didn't care for the MX insert, it blended the two and people seem to freak out when that happens in putters, its a very divided club demographic.

The thing about inserts to remember is this, traditional insert users typically like a SOFT insert a-la Odyssey, they don't want a more firm insert so they don't care for anything that rides int hat middle region as much. Whereas on the other hand non-insert users typically don't like any insert because they are all too muted from a feedback standpoint compared to CS or SS. Its why so many didn't care for the MX insert, it blended the two and people seem to freak out when that happens in putters, its a very divided club demographic.

Thanks for the explanation.

I was talking about more of the step pattern when it came to the ITZ. Obviously it's different. But when I first saw the Core, that's the first thing that popped into my head. You're silly. :alien:

I was trying to figure out why I like the method core so much, and it just clicked that it does remind me of the Metal-X insert from Odyssey. I played the original method for a season, then switched to the metal-x, then into the versa (WHP insert) and now back to the Core. I agree that the core insert is definitely a tweener for inserts vs milled argument, but it fits right where I like it.

Jman, what's the weight on the MC05W? I love that look but wondering how heavy it is.

This maybe an odd question, I hope it comes off as ok. Do the price tags reflect the putters?

Jman, what's the weight on the MC05W? I love that look but wondering how heavy it is.

Can't find it, feels in the 345 range as well though.

This maybe an odd question, I hope it comes off as ok. Do the price tags reflect the putters?

I know what you mean, the Mod is every bit what I would expect out of a high end putter having owned and bought many.

Mod 60 brings out the #9 shape homer in me. Loved getting to see it in person last week. Is it me or are there a ton of good looking putters out on the market right now?

Back