Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously pondering a Seemore. Feel like one could set my putting straight. Spent about an hour drooling over their website last night.

For starters I would start with one of their cheaper base models and take some SPi lessons, or at least learn the SPi method of putting. I used a Seemore for about 2 months over the summer and read up on SPi and then switched to another putter while using the same principles.

So true. Why fight a club to make it work with your swing when there are alternatives out there that just work better more naturally. I am sure I could play MB irons. I sweated some MB Mizunos for the longest time. I don't see the point now, though.

Bingo dude, I hear that completely. That's me with the S55's, I can play the hell out of them, but I'm over how penal they can be at times. Heck, that's why I went from
TM MC's to CB's too, loved playing with the MC's, but why? CB's are awesome too and I don't feel like I have to be as "on" all the time.

I think it applies to a lot of people dude, but we have to get there ourselves, ya know? Everyone's journey and realization extent is different.

There is also the want to. I'm content. I may be a touch over extended, but I'm ok with it.

In light of #WPF, I'm gonna go a little out of my box for a second. The J40 Black Ox have my heart, but if I'm setting myself up for success I think I go 588 RTX. 54˚ CB for those fluffy bunkers and a blade 58˚. Either one dot or a two dot 60˚ bent to 58˚...

I think this is very true. I went into ECPC thinking I needed a combo set of the Apex and the Pros, I left knowing that I should just stick with the regulars. Great looking iron with a bunch of forgiveness

I went all over the spectrum this year, from GI to players to SGI to players to GI again, I at one point thought a more forgiving iron made me "lazy", now I realize just how ignorant that idea is IMO. I've proved to myself I can play them all and do so pretty dang well, but to what gain? It's time to be about scores and fun again.

Seriously pondering a Seemore. Feel like one could set my putting straight. Spent about an hour drooling over their website last night.

There isn't a bad one in their catalogue. It's hard to wrong with any of them

There is also the want to. I'm content. I may be a touch over extended, but I'm ok with it.

I was there, I want scores and fun now, and even as much as I play, I know I can get both of those better by checking my ego at the door once and for all.

Bingo dude, I hear that completely. That's me with the S55's, I can play the hell out of them, but I'm over how penal they can be at times. Heck, that's why I went from
TM MC's to CB's too, loved playing with the MC's, but why? CB's are awesome too and I don't feel like I have to be as "on" all the time.

Exactly - and it is also how amazing a club can perform when you get a shaft fitting. I loved my rocketbladez, but there was something always a little off with them. The head was super forgiving, but I always felt my swing was a bit inconsistent with them. Well, going through a fitting and getting fitted for a shaft that was 45g heavier than the one in the Rocketbladez was beyond eye opening. Part of me wishes I had the spare change to throw a set of Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130s in the rocketbladez to see what magic they'd do.

I always thought a lighter shaft was better. Lighter meant more speed = more distance? Well I got schooled big time out at Callaway.

That is the plan of attack jlukes. The seemore thread got me interested and with all this snow outside I need to really put some time in garage putting with my new birdieball green.

For starters I would start with one of their cheaper base models and take some SPi lessons, or at least learn the SPi method of putting. I used a Seemore for about 2 months over the summer and read up on SPi and then switched to another putter while using the same principles.

That is the plan of attack jlukes. The seemore thread got me interested and with all this snow outside I need to really put some time in garage putting with my new birdieball green.

There are a few of us in NJ that have SeeMores. I am LH so it may not help much but if you want to get the feel or check out RST you are more than welcome to use one when we hopefully play when the weather gets warmer. Fireitup has an FGP also I believe.

I was there, I want scores and fun now, and even as much as I play, I know I can get both of those better by checking my ego at the door once and for all.

James, if you're targeting this statement, what is the best setup for you? Speedblades with CTLs? I'm still pondering. LOL

The only comment that I would add (the devil's advocate position) is that the MPs, MCs, Apex Pros, etc., are easier to work the ball.

When my swing is on and I want to hit a soft draw or a hard draw with my MPs, I can do it (or at least get pretty close). I can also hit them pretty straight when I want, too. The Apex I just hit really straight. Maybe a 3-5 yard draw at most. So, if I'm really playing well and I want to work the ball a little more, the "players" irons fit me a little better.

Of course, the above paragraph only applies on those rare occasions when I'm striking the ball really well. Otherwise, the extra movement from the players irons is unintended, and I can get in trouble.

Like James, I've come to realize that making the game easier, scoring well, and having clubs that "feel" good can be achieved. I put my ego to the side and just let the numbers talk. I suspect 2014 will be my best scoring year ever as a result.

Where in NJ are ya?

I look forward to finding the right set of GI irons that work for my swing. As much as the player irons are penal, they are very predictable for me which is always nice.

Pondering throwing C Taper Lite's in my wedges.
I'm in full support of this ponder and is a ponder I have had for a few weeks myself.

I agree. I'm struggling how to word it...

My best rounds have been with dumb clubs like the covert tour and Pro Combos. But that's because my swing has gotten better. I don't believe in "growing into" equipment. But I do believe in enjoying your equipment. We all do that differently. And that is awesome.

The only comment that I would add (the devil's advocate position) is that the MPs, MCs, Apex Pros, etc., are easier to work the ball.

When my swing is on and I want to hit a soft draw or a hard draw with my MPs, I can do it (or at least get pretty close). I can also hit them pretty straight when I want, too. The Apex I just hit really straight. Maybe a 3-5 yard draw at most. So, if I'm really playing well and I want to work the ball a little more, the "players" irons fit me a little better.

Of course, the above paragraph only applies on those rare occasions when I'm striking the ball really well. Otherwise, the extra movement from the players irons is unintended, and I can get in trouble.

Like James, I've come to realize that making the game easier, scoring well, and having clubs that "feel" good can be achieved. I put my ego to the side and just let the numbers talk. I suspect 2014 will be my best scoring year ever as a result.

Well said Clive. I am in the same boat as you. Proper fitting + checked ego = instantly lower scores.

I've never had any issue working the ball when I have to, it can be done with any iron, even altitudes. The extent to which changes, sure, but it's still there. That's another thing that to me is overhyped by many amateurs.

I've never had any issue working the ball when I have to, it can be done with any iron, even altitudes. The extent to which changes, sure, but it's still there. That's another thing that to me is overhyped by many amateurs.

workability is overrated anyways. Give me a straight ball all day long -- a consistent straight.

The only way I want to "work" the ball is height and distance control. Progressive center of gravity in the Apex Pros is going to work wonders for my game.

The only way I want to "work" the ball is height and distance control. Progressive center of gravity in the Apex Pros is going to work wonders for my game.

Still something that can be done with any iron IMO. I can hit stingers all day with alts, if you can do that with them, it can be done with any club.

Where in NJ are ya?

All over Monmouth County. Most rounds being played at Shark River, Howell, and Hominy. I live in Long Branch.

This thread is awesome today.

workability is overrated anyways. Give me a straight ball all day long -- a consistent straight.

Yes it is. Vastly IMO. If I'm trying to turn shots all the time, I've seriously done something wrong somewhere, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back