What is RIGHT with golf?

Jeanthemachine

Earl of Limerick
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.7
We seem to focus a lot of energy on what is wrong with golf. We "complain" that golf takes too long, it is too expensive, it is hard, the rules are too complicated and unfair, etc.

While there is validity to some of these positions and there are some ways to attack some of these issues it may be more valuable to focus marketing efforts on the positive aspects of our game.

We are seeing a stagnant number in participation but consider other sports from a participant perspective. How many "over 40" baseball players are there? How many "over 40 football players? Basketball? Soccer? Hockey?

Not many.

What sports can be reasonably learned and well played as we get older? Tennis, bowling, shooting, archery and, oh yeah, GOLF.

What sports can you participate in with your wife/partner, friends, business associates, even strangers and have fun? Same as above?

What sport allows competition among the groups mentioned where all can play at their best and all have a chance to win? I think golf is the only one where a relative novice can compete with an expert.

What sport allows conversation during the play of the game? Golf may not be the only one but it is probably the best example of a sport where you can really enjoy your friends or conduct business during the participation.

What other sport has a uniform that is appropriate to wear for most social occasions (don't tell me you wear your Laker jersey to the office).

Sure, there are some issues that should be looked at but let's consider what is great about our favorite participant sport and tell people about those things. Take someone to your club, course, driving range, putting green and show them what makes it so great

The. Hackers. Paradise.

I think the "complaining" is for a constructive purpose: to possibly solve pressing issues now and grow the game of golf and ensure a bright future for it and the people that play it in the future. There's a lot right with golf, like you stated, you just have to look for it.

What's right with golf is that my wife loves it as much as I do. It's our main form of recreation and when we go out on dates, it's usually at the course!

You don't have to be real good to enjoy it, and you can play it for a lifetime.

THP
The more recent movement toward more natural course design
Maybe unprecedented club manufacturer competition, which gives consumers more options at better prices
Technological advances in technology which make the game easier to play
First Tee

The feeling when you hit it just PURE. There's nothing like it in any other sport.

The ability to enjoy what is essentially a work of agronomic art when you play (this depends on the course, obv...many "goat tracks" definitely do not qualify here!).

Getting away from whatever your worries are for a few hours.

The peace and quiet of a course in the early morning.

So many things, honestly! Sure there are issues that will need to be addressed going forward to keep people coming out, but let's face it, it wouldn't be worth addressing those issues if there weren't reasons we love the game anyways.

What's right with golf is that my wife loves it as much as I do. It's our main form of recreation and when we go out on dates, it's usually at the course!

Same here Smalls. The only bad thing I can think of about golf is when it gets really slow. (My wife is even more impatient than I am. ) Heck, even a bad round is better than no round. :D

What's right about it is you get to be outside and enjoy this great planet away from the hustle and bustle of work and the city. The fact that my 1 year old, 5 year old, wife, father, brother and co-workers enjoy it as much as I do. You can drink a beer on the course with colleagues while discussing business or pleasures. The fact that every time something new comes out, that thing I bought just a month prior can still be sold at the amount of the new thing and I can buy the new thing and feel good about my purchasing power and last but not least, Caddyshack.

You are a lucky man Smalls. I couldn't get my wife or daughters anywhere near a golf course.

I think everything is right with golf. I only wish I could play more of it! I like the tradition, the athleticism and the fun. Change nothing!

The feeling when you hit it just PURE. There's nothing like it in any other sport.

The ability to enjoy what is essentially a work of agronomic art when you play (this depends on the course, obv...many "goat tracks" definitely do not qualify here!).

Getting away from whatever your worries are for a few hours.

The peace and quiet of a course in the early morning.

So many things, honestly! Sure there are issues that will need to be addressed going forward to keep people coming out, but let's face it, it wouldn't be worth addressing those issues if there weren't reasons we love the game anyways.

This basically sums up my feelings on it. Using it as stress relief is one of the many wonderful things about it.

The simplicity of the game. The object is to hit a ball in a hole in as few strokes as possible.

I think the best thing about golf is that you don't have to be good at it to have fun.

I don't think it needs a "right".
Its addictive and has an attraction that keeps us coming back.

The instant bond it creates between people who love the game.

That shot that happens once in a blue moon for most of us that makes us feel like we could be Pros. My chest just about bursts with excitement when this happens & its hard not to talk about it to the point I become annoying.

That for a few hours a week (hopefully more) I am without the electronic leash, e-mails, texts, voicemails, and the hustle and bustle of the real world.

That someone like me who is not a "traditional" athlete can be outdoors and get good exercise and compete against others just like me.

That I can spend quality time with my dad doing something together that we both enjoy, and doesn't involve a honey-do list....

Those are just a few things I can think of.

The instant bond it creates between people who love the game.

I was going to post something very similar. I've made new friends from all over the country in this game.
Not speaking specifically about THPers, I do have golf buddies besides you all :), most of them are instantly pretty cool people.

For me, the best part other than what has already been said, is that it is truly a game for a lifetime. Don't see myself playing basketball when I'm 60, but plan on getting my a$$ kicked on the golf course for sure - and enjoying it!

Pretty cool to have a game that I can get better at everyday even though I have been at it for 25 years already.

Golf is inexpensive therapy for me. It took me a bit to get there, but I have more enjoyment on the course (regardless of how I'm playing) than I do in any other sport that I've played. I enjoy the disconnect from the electronic devices. I enjoy spending a few hours out in the sun with my buddies. I enjoy the friendly competition and moreso the banter between us. I find the feeling of a perfectly pounded driver, a purely struck iron, a delicate chip to inside a foot, and a long birdie putt dropping into the cup INTOXICATING. I enjoy traveling to new places, golfing different courses, and meeting new people. In a way, THP has helped me realize all of those things. I'm addicted to this game, and it's the first thing I think about when I get up in the morning, and the last thing I think about when I hit the pillow at night.

Golf has allowed me to keep my sanity for the past two years. Lots of stressful things that seem to go away when I hit the course or even the driving range with a bucket of balls.

Beyond that, THP has allowed me to connect with a lot of really awesome people who happen to really like golf, too.

Golf can get pricey, and it can sometimes take a lot of time to play. But, it has brought me a lot of happiness along the way, both off and on the course.

Pretty cool to have a game that I can get better at everyday even though I have been at it for 25 years already.

Absolutely. The fact that we'll always have an opportunity to improve is one of the most pleasurable things in the game to me, and the fact that the game is different every day, even if it's on the same course.

The game is great the way it is.

Things that are right for golf for me:

Amazing equipment from many manufacturers.

The way technology is effecting the game and the 5 W's (who I play with, what I play with, when I play, where I play, why I play). GPS, Lasers, stat tracking programs, launch monitors, GHIN app to enter scores, THP, Tee times through apps at my home course, Golf now app for when traveling.

I'm able to be connected to the game in so many more ways than I was just 5 years ago.

Back