Super fast AWESOME greens!

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I played a golf course in Christchurch (New Zealand) yesterday and honestly I've never played on better greens. They were running at 12 and made putting both terrifying and fun. The greens are so different to my home course where they're mostly flat with very subtle breaks. These were undulating and tiered, and with the 20+mph wind blowing were a true test. I 3 putted twice for a round of 76 (+4) but had a ton of long range putts that dropped too. It's been well over 15 years since I putted on greens that quick and I hadn't realised how much I missed them.
What kind of greens do you all play on and do you like fast or slow greens?

My homecourse is a relatively new course that's built by a few farmers it seems. The greenkeepers aren't very good and we've had quite a bit of molds and other nasty stuff happen to the greens. So they keep the grass long and that makes it quite slow, I'm guessing maybe 7-ish on the stimp.

I do play other courses, not very regularly due to a lack of funds though. One is about 9-10 stimp and the other I like is around 11. It's just another game, I'm better on the other courses when it comes to putting. :)

Relatively slow. Slow greens are easier and cheaper to maintain. I would rather save some $$$ than play fast greens

I normally play medium-to-moderately fast, I'd say. I actually enjoy really fast, pure greens. Like Canadan said, though, fast is only good if it's consistent. I've played some pretty quick greens, but I'd have to say Pasatiempo was the craziest. Crazy countours and breaks, but putted like ice. The best thing about it, though, was you got the sense that as long as you got the ball started on the right line, you had a chance. I could get used to that!

I love fast greens. But I also love consistent greens. I would rather they be consistently slow than have inconsistent fast greens.

Give me fast greens, but keep them consistent. Nothing worse than variable speeds.
HA! We have two on our course that are faster than the rest. And when people forget where they are and blaze it 10 feet past, it's funny...well, if you DID remember, or at least putt second, so you can win the hole.

What I like to see is a speedy green so smooth that on a 40ft putt, the ball never once leaves the ground. Smoooth.

I'm in two leagues a week on two separate courses. Tuesday nights are like putting on velcro, and Thursday nights are like putting on the driveway. I prefer faster greens, but the back and forth between the two with a day apart drives me crazy.

Relatively slow. Slow greens are easier and cheaper to maintain. I would rather save some $$$ than play fast greens

This is me too. I can play on faster greens, but know how much it costs to get them that fast and stay that fast, alive. I don't have a specific preference, but I like somewhere in the middle like a 10 or so.

I don't care as long as the practice green is a direct comparison to the actual greens on course. I can adjust to either but prefer the quicker greens.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Tapatalk

I done mind fast greens as long as they are somewhat consistent.

Played last yr on a course one hole really fast, then later much slower.

Can't say I'm fond of the super fast combined with skateboard park contours, but I'm not good putter so that probably factors in.

I prefer faster greens, that way I can take a smoother stroke and get the ball moving. If I have to hit putts harder, I tend to get a bit too quick with my tempo. I'm lucky that I have good relationships with some local pros and can play some nice courses with faster greens without having to pay too much.

Fast greens are nice as long as the greens keeper doesn't have a sense of humour when he pits the pins down. There are certain holes that I'm OK with diabolical placements like short par 3's and reachable par 5's but a side hill pin on a long par 4 with lightning fast greens is sure to slow the course down.

Fast greens are nice as long as the greens keeper doesn't have a sense of humour when he pits the pins down. There are certain holes that I'm OK with diabolical placements like short par 3's and reachable par 5's but a side hill pin on a long par 4 with lightning fast greens is sure to slow the course down.

I fully agree with you, there was only one hole where I thought the pin was in a terrible place. It was a long par 4 and the pin was only about 5yards from the front of the green and about the same distance from the edge of the green, with a slope from front to back and most sever from the pin to the front of the green. I hit a solid 7iron in but not knowing the course I didn't realise how severe the slope was and as a result a 20ft putt downhill turned into a 35ft putt that rolled off the front of the green and I made bogey. All 3 of us in the group tried multiple times from where I putted from to stop the ball from going past the hole and not one attempt was successful which says a lot.

I like a faster green, but it has to match the style. The slope on the greens at my old club wouldn't really accomodate anything super fast - at least not for normal players. People already could putt the ball off a few of them with what I'd call pretty average speeds.

Played a tournament last November, greens were rolling at least a 12 maybe even a 13. I was told they were double-rolled before we teed off. Talk about fun. We play on greens that roll consistently a 9-10 but 13 was some good golf.

I guess I'm different from the majority, but I don't like overly fast greens. It amplifies mistakes, and depending on hole location can turn a good lag into a disaster, with no fault to the golfer. They're also affected by wind more than "normal" greens. There's nothing worse than having a small gust of wind ruin a good putt.

Back