Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

So who is still gaming this driver? Just curious.

I'm rocking the 10.5 445 head. I'll likely make a move to 9.5 this summer, but I think this driver is incredible. Low spin, plenty forgiving off the toe - It's just a beauty.

I threw it back in the bag for tonight's sim league. Will be fun to have an old friend back in the bag

I finally got to see the J40 in person this past weekend. I really like the look at address and the simplicity of the crown. Very sleek. Can't wait to hit it.

Has anyone hit the 430 or have any thoughts on it?

I finally got to see the J40 in person this past weekend. I really like the look at address and the simplicity of the crown. Very sleek. Can't wait to hit it.

I think TripleBogieTim played the 430 last year. Thainer may have as well

I have thoughts, but mostly just about being scared of a 430cc driver. I played a 430cc a few years ago, and it just looks so small compared to the new drivers. I'm thinking 445 all the way for added forgiveness. Not sure how much difference 15cc makes, but in my head it seems to be a big deal.

I've never played the 430, but don't really understand the added benefit as an amateur golfer.

Often times the 'pro' version of a driver reduces spin, and I've leaned towards them -- but with the 445 having lower spin already, I couldn't imagine dropping forgiveness just so I could work the ball with a driver. I want to work it dead straight or with a baby draw... Into the middle of the fairway..

I think TripleBogieTim played the 430 last year. Thainer may have as well

I couldn't remember if anyone was or not.

I have thoughts, but mostly just about being scared of a 430cc driver. I played a 430cc a few years ago, and it just looks so small compared to the new drivers. I'm thinking 445 all the way for added forgiveness. Not sure how much difference 15cc makes, but in my head it seems to be a big deal.

I'm all for forgiveness.

I've never played the 430, but don't really understand the added benefit as an amateur golfer.

Often times the 'pro' version of a driver reduces spin, and I've leaned towards them -- but with the 445 having lower spin already, I couldn't imagine dropping forgiveness just so I could work the ball with a driver. I want to work it dead straight or with a baby draw... Into the middle of the fairway..

I imagine you could easily work the 445 if you want to Dan. I didn't see any noticeable differences on the website so figured I would throw it out here.

445 seems like the way to go.

I imagine you could easily work the 445 if you want to Dan. I didn't see any noticeable differences on the website so figured I would throw it out here.

445 seems like the way to go.

It's a fact. the 445 is all kinds of workable.

I've never hit the 430 to compare it to, it just seems like the 445 offers everything most look for in a 'pro' style head with the added benefit of forgiveness.

Thanks, I almost bought one off the ebay just to fool around with. Was $100. Nice looking driver

it's amazing how quickly things can change.

After switching from a 460 to a 430 last weekend in a fitting, I'm now hard pondering the benefits of the 430 J40 for this Morgan Cup. I can't wait to start chatting with my tour rep about it.

After switching from a 460 to a 430 last weekend in a fitting, I'm now hard pondering the benefits of the 430 J40 for this Morgan Cup. I can't wait to start chatting with my tour rep about it.

How much of a spin difference did you see just from the head Dan? Would be interested to see if spin/cc ratio is somewhat constant when going from 460 to 430, compared to the 445 to 430.

I think you could easily play the J40 430 in 9.5 loft. TBT played it last year because it was lower spin than the 445 head. Per my discussions with Bridgestone last year, the 430 head is more workable than the 445 head. I still really enjoy the my 445 driver.

I can't wait to start having the discussions as well. That's the first thing that came to mind when looking at Bridgestone's site being the size of the drive and which one would I would benefit most from. I always love the look of a smaller head at address, but if the 445 is a lower spin as it is not sure it'll be worth it for me!

How much of a spin difference did you see just from the head Dan? Would be interested to see if spin/cc ratio is somewhat constant when going from 460 to 430, compared to the 445 to 430.

Maybe a couple hundred RPMs at the most. I think the biggest reason I went from 460 in the SLDR to 430 was a mix between my swing meshing with swing weight and the lower spin working for me. It just kind of put a wrench in the process of J40 because I was so sold on the 445 after last season. Is there room to improve? Is the 430 ideal? Just little questions that make me ponder.

I think you could easily play the J40 430 in 9.5 loft. TBT played it last year because it was lower spin than the 445 head. Per my discussions with Bridgestone last year, the 430 head is more workable than the 445 head. I still really enjoy the my 445 driver.

Workability would never ever be the defining reasoning for me switching to the 430, but that fact doesn't surprise me at all. I do regret not taking a swat or two with Tim's driver, and he sure did hit that thing well when his swing was on.

Maybe someone who's got experience with both can chat about the spin differential and accuracy reduction of the 430.

You already hit your 445 9.5 so well Dan. I would be surprised if you changed it. You could definitely game it though.

I'm not sure what your apprehension is about playing the 430. With your action it shouldn't be a problem

I'm not sure what your apprehension is about playing the 430. With your action it shouldn't be a problem

Thanks Freddie. Mostly because I have experienced a decent amount of success with the 430. I just wonder if it's worth giving up some forgiveness for improved top line and some spin reduction.

As much as I love the 445, I have always wondered about the 430. I would be interested in the differences and benefits as well.

I was able to find one of these in the used pile at local golfsmith. 9.5 project x 6.5. Took some swings and first couple were big huge slices and I can feel the shaft was really lagging behind me. So I focused on slowing down and putting a smooth swings and put some decent strikes on the ball. Here are some #s. Slightly high on the face accounts for the higher than normal launch for me but that high miss was very forgiving
yjy8yza5.jpg

I think I need to tee it a bit lower and a 10.5° head may be more fitting for a center strike. The shaft is still a big ? for me and I may reshaft this after some further testing

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I was able to find one of these in the used pile at local golfsmith. 9.5 project x 6.5. Took some swings and first couple were big huge slices and I can feel the shaft was really lagging behind me. So I focused on slowing down and putting a smooth swings and put some decent strikes on the ball. Here are some #s. Slightly high on the face accounts for the higher than normal launch for me but that high miss was very forgiving
yjy8yza5.jpg

I think I need to tee it a bit lower and a 10.5° head may be more fitting for a center strike. The shaft is still a big ? for me and I may reshaft this after some further testing

low spin head, I suggest a higher loft and high launching shaft to get those numbers up. Back spin is low

low spin head, I suggest a higher loft and high launching shaft to get those numbers up. Back spin is low

Yes definitely low on the spin. Need to figure out what shaft bridgestone offers fits the category of higher launch than the project x and stouter at the same time...

Tried out the J40 driver in 10.5* with the 6.0 shaft. Was seeing about 1900 spin but only a 7-10* launch and a dramatic loss in distance even when I felt like I crushed the ball. Going to have to think a lot harder on this one and really lean on test drive and my tour rep to figure this out.

Tried out the J40 driver in 10.5* with the 6.0 shaft. Was seeing about 1900 spin but only a 7-10* launch and a dramatic loss in distance even when I felt like I crushed the ball. Going to have to think a lot harder on this one and really lean on test drive and my tour rep to figure this out.

Loft will be your friend.

Back