If You Opened a Golf Store...

1 make sure my staff was knowledgable on the new gear, shafts, balls and #'s that are ideal

2 stress fittings for every club sale to make sure the customer is in the best club/setup for them

3 give education sessions on gear, rules/etiquette of the game

4 staff that's friendly and cares that the customer is leaving with the best equipment for them, staff that will give simple swing tips to those who are trying clubs in the bays if they want them

5 I'd want my store to be more than just a store outdoor range attached to see ball flight, short game area to see how wedges actually work, huge putting green for putters

6 carry quality clothing, accessories

7 have plenty of indoor bays for people try equipment and make sure they are always working.

Keep the store design simple no huge vaulted ceilings and make the atmosphere where people want to come.

Something many of you are touching on is club fitting, and the first thing I think about is time of process..

But then I realize, how many times have I gone into my local store and watched a few of the guys standing around chatting? They give me a quick look, ask me if I am good, and go on with their discussion.

If they spent more time congregating around the hitting bays, helping the people hitting and talking about their experiences with the clubs they've selected, I think everyone would benefit. Then again, you're going to battle that 'leave me alone' attitude that some have, which i respect as well.

Knowlegeable and open-minded staff - if a person wants to try something in a sim, set them up, look at the results, then suggest something that might work better for them (do not pigeon-hole people based on assumptions)

Bright colors, excellent lighting, and make the store look inviting.

Ample amount of stock (I realize this is difficult due to cost) - eg: my store received Bio Cell drivers the other day, 1 Orange, 1 Black, 8 Green.... this is great, but there are other colors in that line as well.

It may not be up everyone's alley, but I firmly believe that if a club is recommended to me that I want to know why. Be open and willing to explain the numbers, and answer my questions/concerns.

Knowlegeable and open-minded staff - if a person wants to try something in a sim, set them up, look at the results, then suggest something that might work better for them (do not pigeon-hole people based on assumptions)

Bright colors, excellent lighting, and make the store look inviting.

Ample amount of stock (I realize this is difficult due to cost) - eg: my store received Bio Cell drivers the other day, 1 Orange, 1 Black, 8 Green.... this is great, but there are other colors in that line as well.

It may not be up everyone's alley, but I firmly believe that if a club is recommended to me that I want to know why. Be open and willing to explain the numbers, and answer my questions/concerns.

Two thoughts:

1 - your store's Bio Cell driver is surprisingly suitable for THP homers hahahaha
2 - Totally agree on the idea of allowing someone to hit what they want and THEN suggesting something to improve it. LOVE that idea.

I would love a way to try to figure out some sort of 'blind' fitting system. Maybe painting the top of all the driver fitting heads. Would really stress results over preconceived notions

Agree Dan that a full fitting takes time, but checking someone's #'s and suggesting a different shaft or club doesn't take much time or checking someone's lie angle or throwing on some impact tape doesn't take much time.

Something many of you are touching on is club fitting, and the first thing I think about is time of process..

But then I realize, how many times have I gone into my local store and watched a few of the guys standing around chatting? They give me a quick look, ask me if I am good, and go on with their discussion.

If they spent more time congregating around the hitting bays, helping the people hitting and talking about their experiences with the clubs they've selected, I think everyone would benefit. Then again, you're going to battle that 'leave me alone' attitude that some have, which i respect as well.

I think there's a difference in terms of the employees' mindset and disposition. I can sum it up with my last trip to Tucson, where I went to a mom & pop golf store, and I went to Golfsmith. At Golfsmith, I looked at some newer stuff, talked to a couple of employees, grabbed an Apex iron off the rack and sort of gave it a waggle, all in plain eyesight of a couple of employees, and eventually asked to give them a whack, which I was able to do. But I had to ask, the employee said he had to check to see if there were any demos available, I got passed off to another employee, and the act of hitting a couple of balls with a club they were supposedly trying to sell me was treated like a bit of a hassle by them, which makes me feel even more uncomfortable because I'm not big on asking for things.

By comparison, I went to the mom & pop store, looked around, talked to the proprietor, an older lady, mid-60's or so. She was very knowledgeable about the new gear coming out (she giggled that Callaway was bringing back Big Bertha), and suggested to me, since I was interested in the new Callaway gear, to take a look at the Apex irons. Nothing pressing, let's just have a look. We talked about how nice a club they are, I picked up the 7 iron, gave it a waggle, and she said, "Why don't you hit a few, see how you like it?" I didn't need much prodding after that. It was while I'm hitting some shots she talked about fitting services offered, and I was able to explain to her my excitement about Callaway's new gear, and overall it was a great experience, and it started with the proprietor suggesting I hit a few shots with it.

That attitude of, "We want you to hit these clubs" is something I've never encountered at any big box store. But I think it's a huge mindset difference that can go a long way toward putting the customer at ease with using the product in the store. I very nearly spent $1100 on a set of Apex irons because of how much I liked them and how much I wanted to do business with someone who wants their customer to use and enjoy their products. That's just my opinion.

I'm reading a lot of suggestions around demoing equipment; I would want a large store with multiple hitting bays each dedicated to a single company. Every option is available with full fitting cart stock, incorporate the high top table and bar stools for friends/Internet access. There would be no reason why the customer can't try out what they are looking at.

I think about the 2 stores I go too and the biggest issue for me is available demo equipment and monitor access. Instead of trying something I'll look at it on the rack, see the bays are busy and leave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I feel like the PGA SS (Martin's to me) in Myrtle has done a lot of it right. A bigger putting green and a real grass short game area would be nice

It would be a range based facility.

I would offer several LM bays, all available unsupervised if desired, expert assistance if required. Equipped with cameras with review and upload facilities.

There would be three teaching professionals, preferably at least one lady pro, 50% of their time would be bookable for individual lessons, 50% would be spent offering advice/answering queries to shoppers and range users, no charge.

The facility would sponsor 3 apprentice pros who would provide free of charge junior lessons. They would also provide a free club cleaning service.

The range would carry a selection of retail balls to allow people to do ball fitting/testing.

There would be 1 day a month when shoppers couldn't actually buy any clubs, they would be try only demo days, no sales pitch pressure, no sales allowed, just try the gear.

There would be regular clinics with experts on all aspects of the game.

Loaner sets would be available for people to play a full round.

Apparel section would be staffed by people with a sense of style, advising on looks/outfits.

New equipment would be tested by a trusted panel of mixed ability players, findings available in store.

How cool would that be, having a big facility like you'd see at any big box retailer in size comparison, with hitting bays, but then a huge back section with an open range and practice facility?

I'm always though that driving ranges with a solid demo selection would do well to promote club fittings and sales -- How crazy would it be to have the best of both worlds combined?

Here's my question. All of these ideas are great and I would love to be able to do half of them in my store, but what premium would be acceptable to charge for all of this added cost that it would take to maintain and fill a store that offered these services?

Here's my question. All of these ideas are great and I would love to be able to do half of them in my store, but what premium would be acceptable to charge for all of this added cost that it would take to maintain and fill a store that offered these services?

Some of the ideas pay for themselves and more... Things like leagues and such...

Surprisingly, I think MANY of the ideas that have cycled through this thread cost only about an ounce of accountability. Kind of ridiculous if you think about it.

With the original point of money not being a concern, I'd be happy to operate on very slim margins and do more volume. Even operate at a small loss, I'd spend all my time there and have a blast.

I also think you could easily move a lot more stuff if you offer the ultimate service.

If you're asking right now I'm going to say:
- Focus on fitting
- Focus on short game (wedges and putters)
- Ball fitting
- Work with specialized PGA professionals to help and teach putting and the short game.
- Have bunkers available
- Left hand gear readily available

It's quite a niche, but it's where the biggest improvements are possible. I know of one or two fitters that do offer wedge and putter fitting, but they still tend to focus on everything 9iron and longer. I haven't found anyone that offers serious ball fitting.

As the question was asked: how much of a premium would be needed?
Fitting isn't cheap, it just takes time and inventory. After I've set my name there's no more discounts and no more free fitting (only if you buy). That should be premium enough to really make it :)

Last edited:
I love everyone's ideas. I really like the idea of having a full range out in the back.

I like the fact do having some simulators and then having leagues and having a small food and beverage service to help drive revenue.

I would love to have dedicated hitting bays and people running them that can suggest things to improve on peoples choices instead if forcing them to buy something. Let people hit what they want and then give more suggestions. I think it makes people feel like they are making the decision instead of forcing them to choose what you want.

I love everyone's ideas. I really like the idea of having a full range out in the back.

I like the fact do having some simulators and then having leagues and having a small food and beverage service to help drive revenue.

I would love to have dedicated hitting bays and people running them that can suggest things to improve on peoples choices instead if forcing them to buy something. Let people hit what they want and then give more suggestions. I think it makes people feel like they are making the decision instead of forcing them to choose what you want.

Hmmmm...

Hitting bays and Fitting bays. Start the revolution GregDan! My resume is on the way!

Alot of LH equipment. Way more than RH. The store will be called #Payback Haha. But seriously, love all the ideas. Also love the fact that one of the PGA SS 's in GA has a bunker in the store. I think that is awesome.

Hmmmm...

Hitting bays and Fitting bays. Start the revolution GregDan! My resume is on the way!

You always have people that just want to play. Why not have both so that you can book both and double the revenue.

I'd shop there

I'd try to have a variety of manufacturers' equipment in stock and ready to hit, including the "less popular" companies like Wilson, Yonex, and Bridgestone (all three of which I'd love to see more demo clubs available).
This! I was going to say this exact same thing, I hate learning so much about these companies on THP yet not being able to see them in person, or even beyond that having nobody else I play with around here having any idea what they're missing. I wish Bridgestone was in every golf shop across the country, they'd sell TONS of equipment!

Beyond that I'd also really focus the staff around being helpful and not giving customers the stink eye if they want to just come in and bang some balls around with some demo gear. I feel around here that these guys are annoyed that people want to just come check out the new stuff, not only that the demo areas are a little secluded and you feel like you're trespassing if you go in there to hit stuff.

Great thoughts in this thread, this is fun discussion!

I would do everything I could do to partner with the OEM's for my shop to become master fitters for each OEM. Have all the shafts available from the custom catalog. Partner with the likes of the Accrra, Oban, Miyazaki to have there shafts represented in my shop and available for demo. Have a build area, similar to what Dan proposed, and have it set up like a Tour Van. Offer to let people work on their clubs in there while others watch and see what is going on. Offer a program to where the shop will buy back a shaft that doesn't fit a customer or if the OE doesn't offer the shaft that best fits the customer. Full fittings with Trackman. Onsite PGA Teaching Pro. Large range with a short game range and large short game area. Premium range balls. Huge putting green with areas of perfectly flat surface to work on instruction.

I really think that the place being inviting and employing people who care about the game and want to be and are willing to be on the leading edge of equipment knowledge and technogly is key. With the way that the equipment is changing having a huge knowledge base is key. I think working with your equipment reps and even directly with the OE to send your people right to the source of the equipment for training is huge.

I would do everything I could do to partner with the OEM's for my shop to become master fitters for each OEM. Have all the shafts available from the custom catalog. Partner with the likes of the Accrra, Oban, Miyazaki to have there shafts represented in my shop and available for demo. Have a build area, similar to what Dan proposed, and have it set up like a Tour Van. Offer to let people work on their clubs in there while others watch and see what is going on. Offer a program to where the shop will buy back a shaft that doesn't fit a customer or if the OE doesn't offer the shaft that best fits the customer. Full fittings with Trackman. Onsite PGA Teaching Pro. Large range with a short game range and large short game area. Premium range balls. Huge putting green with areas of perfectly flat surface to work on instruction.

I really think that the place being inviting and employing people who care about the game and want to be and are willing to be on the leading edge of equipment knowledge and technogly is key. With the way that the equipment is changing having a huge knowledge base is key. I think working with your equipment reps and even directly with the OE to send your people right to the source of the equipment for training is huge.

I would gladly work for you. That sounds awesome. Need a resume? Haha

Some of the ideas pay for themselves and more... Things like leagues and such...

Surprisingly, I think MANY of the ideas that have cycled through this thread cost only about an ounce of accountability. Kind of ridiculous if you think about it.

In the hypothetical realm where a store offers everything that has been mentioned, you can agree that the cost of adding these additional services would require more overhead through higher rent for added floorspace and more payroll for higher trained employees. Simply put, if a store offered all of the fitting options that you wanted, would you be willing to pay MSRP instead of MAP on clubs? I'm just curious, if you would be willing to spend extra.

In the hypothetical realm where a store offers everything that has been mentioned, you can agree that the cost of adding these additional services would require more overhead through higher rent for added floorspace and more payroll for higher trained employees. Simply put, if a store offered all of the fitting options that you wanted, would you be willing to pay MSRP instead of MAP on clubs? I'm just curious, if you would be willing to spend extra.

That was something else I was noodling around. I always kinda wondered what the margin and throughput is on shafts at brick & mortar stores, because as much as I love the idea of getting everyone hitting maximum numbers through fitting, I wonder how many people are going to go for the upcharge that comes with some aftermarket shaft options.

Back