Bushnell NEO-XS GPS Rangefinder Watch - THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This one is on the docket for review now and I honestly couldn't be more excited because I know how much traction the watched have gained here on THP and I also have grown tired of carrying a standalone handheld GPS unit with me during my rounds. The NEO+ and NEO-X have been reviewed by THP on the frontpage so its only natural for the next version of Bushnell's Rangefinder Watch to come in as well.

Information from Bushnell on the NEO-XS:

Thin, comfortable, long battery life and up to 4 hazard distances per hole.

While the NEO-X offered golfers more battery life than any other GPS watch available, the new NEO XS delivers even more benefits with one button press such as shot distance, four hazards and round odometer, while providing over three rounds of battery life. Additionally, when the product is functioning solely in watch mode, the battery can last 24 months without needing a recharge.

The latest product to join the Bushnell family of devices offering Distance Made Simple is the NEO XS. Bushnell’s lightest and thinnest golf watch is simple to operate and comfortable to wear, giving golfer’s easy to read front/back/center, hazard and shot distance measurements on over 33,000 preloaded courses with no membership fees.

The NEO XS Golf GPS Watch is capable of instantly recognizing courses and has an auto hole advance feature which automatically changes from one hole to the next, meaning the user does not have to push another button the entire round. And while the golfer is out on the course, the odometer feature allows you to track distance, speed, and total activity time.

Play Longer:
• Play over three rounds between charges

Ready for Play:
• Over 33,000+ courses in over 30 countries preloaded for instant use
• No Membership or Download Fees

Smart Round Features:
• Auto course recognition and auto hole advance
• Easy-to-Read Front/Center/Back Distances
• Hazard layup distances (up to four per hole)
• Shot distance calculator
• Round time and distance info
• Tee time auto-on & battery-saving auto-off

Perfect Watch for Everyday Use

• Odometer, timer, stopwatch, alarm

Available in three colors (Black/Yellow, Charcoal/Orange, White/Cobalt), the NEO XS Golf GPS Watch will be available at Bushnell retailers nationwide mid-February, with a retail price of $199.99.

Some in hands pic's of the unit:

DSC_1278-L.jpg

DSC_1280-L.jpg

DSC_1287-L.jpg

On the course (much darker on the course, sun got me a little trying to take the pic's with my phone):

D42F480B-0916-49D8-96A7-9317C455B70A_zps4hkdkg9l.jpg

0E37C8FA-C03C-40F9-86A8-9AD07AEF6149_zpsxopoyvc4.jpg

0636703C-0215-46AA-A729-FBDFA1823F48_zpsohngb4ev.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts buddy, love my Neo watch!

That's a nice visual right there Jameson!!

How's the bulk on the arm? I don't personally mind playing with a watch on, but curios anyways.

• Staff
That's a nice visual right there Jameson!!

How's the bulk on the arm? I don't personally mind playing with a watch on, but curios anyways.

No bulk at all, used it today on the course for the 18 I walked and really enjoyed the heck out of it. Its got all the features in a GPS that many could ever ask for, and the extras like the pedometer were a nice bonus to me. I've been really curious about the watches as I know people are growing quite fond of them but I was a bit hesitant. Its just really easy and useful.

I've never played golf with a watch on, heck, I've never done anything with a watch on. Definitely a neat piece nonetheless with some pretty impressive stats about battery life. James, do you know a weight on this thing?

No bulk at all, used it today on the course for the 18 I walked and really enjoyed the heck out of it. Its got all the features in a GPS that many could ever ask for, and the extras like the pedometer were a nice bonus to me. I've been really curious about the watches as I know people are growing quite fond of them but I was a bit hesitant. Its just really easy and useful.

And time of play is cool too. I assume that starts the minute you sync with the course and get distances on the first hole?

• Staff
I've never played golf with a watch on, heck, I've never done anything with a watch on. Definitely a neat piece nonetheless with some pretty impressive stats about battery life. James, do you know a weight on this thing?

I do not, I'll go weigh it soon for you though. But, I'll say this, I didn't notice it at all, its not bulky and its not awkward to me.

And time of play is cool too. I assume that starts the minute you sync with the course and get distances on the first hole?

You nailed it. I really like that too, cool to see the pace for the day.

Super excited to hear your thoughts on this as I have been giving one of these some serious contemplation. Did I interpret correctly that this tracks your club distances as well?

Super excited to hear your thoughts on this as I have been giving one of these some serious contemplation. Did I interpret correctly that this tracks your club distances as well?

It can show you shot to shot distances

What appeals to me about a watch is the ease of use. I love my SGXw and rely on it heavily when I am playing serious rounds, but for weeknight 9s, there's something about being able to just throw on a watch and head to the course.

It says 3 rounds of battery life potential on a single charge... How's it looking after one James?

Yes!! Been looking forward to this one. Its on my radar and I really want to know how well it works for hazards and just how accurate it truly is.

What appeals to me about a watch is the ease of use. I love my SGXw and rely on it heavily when I am playing serious rounds, but for weeknight 9s, there's something about being able to just throw on a watch and head to the course.

It says 3 rounds of battery life potential on a single charge... How's it looking after one James?

Really good actually, I honestly think based on the meter that I could get 3 more rounds in on it.

I liked it more than my SGX if I'm being honest, I think this paired with a laser is a lethal combo and with these compared to my SGX I could just glance and go without ever having to remember to grab it or anything, which was def nice. Numbers were right on with what the SGX was spitting out as well, so that was nice to see.

Yes!! Been looking forward to this one. Its on my radar and I really want to know how well it works for hazards and just how accurate it truly is.

Used my laser to compare some of the traps and hazards (as best you can with a laser since you're aiming at a lip etc) but it was right there in that range and truly looks to be really accurate there.

Really good actually, I honestly think based on the meter that I could get 3 more rounds in on it.

I liked it more than my SGX if I'm being honest, I think this paired with a laser is a lethal combo and with these compared to my SGX I could just glance and go without ever having to remember to grab it or anything, which was def nice. Numbers were right on with what the SGX was spitting out as well, so that was nice to see.

My big concern with watches is defining front middle back of a green that's guarded on a course I am not familiar with.

I experienced this last weekend where it was very hard to define distance because the pin was on the left side of the green noted as a back pin but the right side of the green sloped off and noted being a touch further back. I just wonder if the accuracy over time would be sufficient, but certainly on a course I am more familiar with, something I could easily work around.

Used my laser to compare some of the traps and hazards (as best you can with a laser since you're aiming at a lip etc) but it was right there in that range and truly looks to be really accurate there.

Very good to hear. I like you thoughts that its nice to just have something with you all the time so that you don't have to remember to bring your GPS device with you. The bonus that it doesn't feel bulky and isn't noticeable is a very big plus. I will be following along and probably end up buying one if you like it well enough.

Very good to hear. I like you thoughts that its nice to just have something with you all the time so that you don't have to remember to bring your GPS device with you. The bonus that it doesn't feel bulky and isn't noticeable is a very big plus. I will be following along and probably end up buying one if you like it well enough.

Its a huge plus. I know some of the guys with the watches like to put them on their bag but it really didn't phase me to wear it in the round and I honestly haven't worn a watch in years.

My big concern with watches is defining front middle back of a green that's guarded on a course I am not familiar with.

I experienced this last weekend where it was very hard to define distance because the pin was on the left side of the green noted as a back pin but the right side of the green sloped off and noted being a touch further back. I just wonder if the accuracy over time would be sufficient, but certainly on a course I am more familiar with, something I could easily work around.

I don't get too complicated, in fact, I play better when I don't. It was nice to have a simple F/M/B and then hit it with a laser to know exactly what club I wanted to pull to make sure I had the right number to give myself a chance to hit the green.

LOVE my NEO X. Thinner would be awesomer.

Very cool. Look forward to your thoughts on this. I'm thinking I am going to get a gps watch at some point this year, so will be following intently.

Great stuff so far Jman, how was the accuracy to hazards from the tee?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I am looking at this to replace my Garmin S1. The battery life and hazards are great improvements. I use the watch in conjunction with a laser. I played a new course (opened a month ago) yesterday that was not loaded on my S1. I found myself constantly looking at my watch out of habit!

Great stuff so far Jman, how was the accuracy to hazards from the tee?

Used a laser to compare (as best I could considering I was having to laser lips and such) and it was right there where it should be. Numbers were right on with my SGX to the hazards when I scrolled to them as well.

Thanks Jman that's what I want to hear accuracy is key, does it show doglegs? If so how does it show them?

Thanks Jman that's what I want to hear accuracy is key, does it show doglegs? If so how does it show them?

It does not, just F/M/B and hazards.

Back