Bending Wedge Lofts

Drogster

Reaction score
Handicap
???
I recently brought a new set of XHot irons, which have a stronger loft setting through the set. As a result I now have to rejig the wedges in my bag.

I also bought a new Mack Daddy 2 58° (14 bounce, C Grind - On sale with 30% off) wedge, which I plan to use as by Sand/Lob and with the XHot PW has a 44° loft, I have a bit of a gap to fill.

My existing are Cleveland CG 16 wedges consist off a 46° (8 Bounce), 52° (10 Bounce), & 56° (14 Bounce).

I’m thinking that the prefect set up would be a 50, 54 & and the new 58° wedges.

So my question is, how much or how many degrees can you bend the loft of a club. I understand that if you bend the loft you also affect the bounce of the club. So, if I wasn’t going to buy new wedges, would I be better bending the 46 to a 50 and the 52 to a 54? Or bed the 52 to 50 and the 56 to 54?

Just to note, I generally play links courses rather than in land courses.

What would you recommend………Or would I be better pulling the trigger and buying a new 50 & 54 wedges?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is not recommended to bend more than 2 degrees.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is not recommended to bend more than 2 degrees.

That is my understanding as well. And I believe de-lofting a club will also decrease the bounce by equivalent degrees and increasing the loft would have the opposite impact on bounce.

While the CG16 is made by casting and a perimeter weighted wedge, we have watched it being bent more than 3 degrees. However at that point you are altering the bounce of the club and I am not sure it will be worth it for you.

I agree with JB, once you go too far you alter the functionality of the club and it can impact it's performance greatly. I'm a big fan of buying what you want, with companies offering custom lofts and grinds like Cleveland and Scratch, I'd go in that direction.

Changing loft will also change the offset of the club, strengthening loft adds offset while weakening loft decreases offset. Two degrees is not that noticeable, but I have bent a wedge 4 degrees strong for someone and you could notice added offset.

I would check out this link, http://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/wedge/ the quality of their used wedges is consistently better than the rating they list. Open box wedges are essentially new with no indication of wear at all. Order new wedges and if they meet your needs sell the old ones and you have an inexpensive upgrade.

I would check out this link, http://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/wedge/ the quality of their used wedges is consistently better than the rating they list. Open box wedges are essentially new with no indication of wear at all. Order new wedges and if they meet your needs sell the old ones and you have an inexpensive upgrade.

Very good post DD! I have bought about a half dozen clubs from Global Golf. I agree with the quality statement by DD. I have bought a couple of clubs they listed as "very good" condition at great prices and when I received them I was hard pressed to find many signs of use of the clubs!

Thanks guys for all the feedback, much appreciated.

After reading the posts, I think that I will go for new Mack Daddy 2 52° & 54° wedges to match the 58° already purchased. I also hit two local stores this afternoon, but either had a 52° or 54° in stock. Asked for one store to order them in.

Back