The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a lot of time yesterday working with the new putter. Between 90min and two hours. I really need to get accustomed to the new feel.

I actually played around with the weight kit, and I found that I putt better with the heavier weights. The putter feels more stable at impact.

I've also developed an issue of closing my shoulders so that my shoulder line is right of target. It gets me pushing putts. I think it's an issue of fatigue. My lower back gets tired of bending, and it stays straight while my left shoulder drops to compensate. The bad things happen. It's something in going to work on this week on the indoor mat as the rain and cooler temps come back into the area.

When I'm rolling the new putter well, though, really good things happen.

Also, a tip of the cap to Hawk. The practice green again had ridiculous hole placements -- everything was on a slope or ridge. After continuing to miss putts on good strokes/reads, I put a tee in the ground towards a flatter area of the green and started putting towards that. The result: I hit the tee eight out of 10 times with putts ranging between four and eight feet. It immediately brought back the confidence in my putting.

Nice dude. Stupid practice greens drive me nuts. I also have a little putting cup I got for buying a dozen golf balls that I carry around some times.

On my way to an early putting session before work. Got the Momentus putting trainer in tow.

On my way to an early putting session before work. Got the Momentus putting trainer in tow.

The road to DotComination starts and ends with putting.

#DoWork

Went back to the simulator again for a range session. Only $10 for an hour on a Sunday! The other two sims were being used for rounds of golf. I got odd looks from at least 2 people like "why are you practicing with this?".

Why? Because I learned something about my new clubs today. They are just as long, and more accurate, when I choke up on the club a bit. Was very happy to find that out.

The sims aren't good for the short game, anything under a 30y shot was not registering. But this is good in that I'll have my full swings ready for the season by the time it thaws out here, and can spend more time on the short game without worrying that the long swings will suffer.

With the cold weather still looming but the sun shining I set up the net and mat to put some work in before work. My normal irons are at the shop being regriped so I grabbed my cmb 7i and rtx 58 and MD2 58. Started with some full swings with the 7i working on posture and weight transfer. I can definitely feel the difference between a good weight shift and a swing where I sorta get stuck behind myself. A nice balanced finished and a flushed 7i is sooo rewarding! Today was the first time I'd hit a shot with the MD2. I took a few swings but mainly half and small chips. I also worked with the rtx which is what I'll likely game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Today begins a bit of a lifestyle change that I hope will pay off for me in my golf game six months from now (and maybe years to come).

One of my biggest challenges these days is just plain time. It's hard to find that hour I need for practice during the week, much less any time associated with exercise. I know everybody's different, but when I'm with the family it's difficult to justify pursuing my own agenda. Soooooo, I looked at where I actually have free time and that's after 8pm every night when the kids are finally asleep. Normally I use that for my own time THP'ing, reading, watching TV, drinking beer, etc. It's now going to be used for fitness training and golf practice, with the idea that I can get four 1-2 sessions in during the week in addition to one or two sessions over the weekend.

I do best with constant repetition it seems, so hopefully this (in conjunction with lessons) will help me reach my somewhat lofty goals.

I have been working hard on the swing over the winter, today I had a refresher lesson just to make sure everything is still going right. One thing he had me watch was I wasn't always turning my left hip back but sliding it left causing a pull but otherwise it's looking promising this year.

Did some good iron work tonight with some putting. Irons felt like they were striking well after working on my backswing.
uja5uhud.jpg

Nithing but indoor net hitting for me. Focusing on setup and contact with smooth swings

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Putting practice today. Stopped at Walmart after work and they were all out of strike pads, so until I can grab one of those for the gym all putting for this guy.

Man Team Albatross is on it, keep it up guys!!!!

Heading to the gym in 30, but I will be putting in at least an hour tonight. Can't let me fellow teammates outwork me!

With 50 degree weather on Saturday I was able to get out to the range, which was nice. It's the first time I've hit balls since I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands in late November and early December. My hands were only a little sore, and actually felt better than I expected. This was also my first chance to try out my newly acquired Rocketbladez irons (love Ebay!).
Between sore hands, cold range balls, and new clubs I didn't hit the ball very well. But it was good to get out and finally get some work in.

I also sprung for a range card. $100 on the card actually gets $175 in balls, a nice discount. I typically get large buckets of 150 balls and they're $12. Now it's effectively about $7 a bucket. :)

Just rolled in 27 consecutive 8 foot putts on my birdie ball. New personal record by a long shot

Metal X Milled + unconscious putting = game changer

Putting practice in the garage, getting used to my Odyssey Black Tour Designs #1. Beautiful putter, puts a nice roll. Looking forward to getting on the course, but it looks like Winter is finally coming to Arizona this week.

Today begins a bit of a lifestyle change that I hope will pay off for me in my golf game six months from now (and maybe years to come).

One of my biggest challenges these days is just plain time. It's hard to find that hour I need for practice during the week, much less any time associated with exercise. I know everybody's different, but when I'm with the family it's difficult to justify pursuing my own agenda. Soooooo, I looked at where I actually have free time and that's after 8pm every night when the kids are finally asleep. Normally I use that for my own time THP'ing, reading, watching TV, drinking beer, etc. It's now going to be used for fitness training and golf practice, with the idea that I can get four 1-2 sessions in during the week in addition to one or two sessions over the weekend.

I do best with constant repetition it seems, so hopefully this (in conjunction with lessons) will help me reach my somewhat lofty goals.

Best of luck with this Hawk. This is when I've got time and have used it for working out and practice and find it works well for me so I hope it works for you as well.

Spent 45 minutes putting. Still not happy with my stroke. SPi is not really available in my area, the one guy near me isn't really all that spectacular. I switch back to cross handed half way through to gain some stabilator in my direction. Frustrating, but I'll get there.

Spent 45 minutes putting. Still not happy with my stroke. SPi is not really available in my area, the one guy near me isn't really all that spectacular. I switch back to cross handed half way through to gain some stabilator in my direction. Frustrating, but I'll get there.

If you ever want to chat SPi, you know where to find me dude. Wish I'd known, we could have done some work on the putting green in FL.

Just rolled in 27 consecutive 8 foot putts on my birdie ball. New personal record by a long shot

That is a nutso number. I think you have a winner.

Nice to see another convert to the Unconscious Putting thought process. ATLGolfer and myself are big fans.

If you ever want to chat SPi, you know where to find me dude. Wish I'd known, we could have done some work on the putting green in FL.

Ok. Maybe before the other thing I'll hit you up and we'll figure this whole thing out.

Had a long talk with a friend of mine today about practice, putting, and mental game. After that we spent some time on green reading and putting. My putting is really starting to improve. I hate saying putting is a weakness of mine when people ask so I've made it a goal of mine to make it a strength. Putting improves pretty quickly when you can take a lot of the guess work out of it.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

I made 100 6 footers before work today. I've done this a few times now and it does wonders for my confidence. If only I had the same patience for my swing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there's a fitness thread, but I feel more at home here lol. Makes me feel like I'm doing it for golf. I got a book on golf fitness, mainly using it for information on upper body and hip stretches. Have spent 20 minutes a day working on that since getting it. Also doing workouts with a stability ball to increase my core strength. Finished that up last night and putted indoors for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back