Tournament Scenario: How Do You Build Your Bag?

I will echo the sentiment that I'd rather build a bag for my game rather than a course, so I can give myself the best chance to be successful anywhere I play.

I'm another one of the bag for my game not the course.

Good question Brad, I'm on the side of I fit the bag to play my game. I'll play my game regardless of the course. I'll just be smart about playing my game and use good course mangement to hopefully have success.

I have a 16 club bag. I play the setup that will play well on the course I'm going to. I have confidence in all 16 clubs so it's not like I'm playing something I'm not familiar with.

For MC, I would play something very close to the 16 clubs I know.

But only 14 clubs are allowed?

my bag stays the same except, i will swap between my 14.5* XHP & 17* XHP depending on the course

Good question. I would say that I mostly build my bag for my game. With modern equipment being somewhat adjustable in the longer clubs its eaiser to change the setup a little. As far building a bag for a spwcific course, I dont think it would be beneficial to have a whole lot of clubs im not use to hitting on a new ciurse ive never played

Here's a serious question. You're entered in a tournament and you are playing at 1-2 courses over the weekend.

Do you build your bag to be successful in that event/courses by adding/subtracting clubs you may not normally carry?

Or do you build your bag so that it suits your game?

Lots of talk about the MC and building a successful bag to match the course demands, but is that the right strategy? Are you going "out of your element" so to speak?

Interested to hear everyone's opinions.

I think when I build my bag I don't take the courses into consideration really, my bag has been the same for many years. The one thing I do change on occasion as a result of the course is wedges, wet or soft courses get high bounce and firm fast courses I go a little lower.

My bag would be structured the same as normal. Particularly with the way the Morgan Cup is being done with receiving the clubs the day before the event starts, I think familiarity is going to be more important than any particular advantage that could be gained with course-specific thoughts.

My bag is essentially the same no matter where I play and whether it tournament or casual play. The only exceptions are that I rotate between 4 SeeMore putters and do have two sets of 54 / 58 wedges (one set I use for casual home course play which accounts for about 90% of my rounds and the other I only use for competitive play to keep the grooves fresh).

OK, so coming from someone that currently only has 13 clubs, what makes up a 16 club bag. Not necessarily brands, but what clubs do you carry? 1w, 3w, ect...

I normally carry 16-17 clubs for a round of golf. If I'm playing in a tournament, I will try to get a practice round in at the course/courses I'll be playing so I can best determine which 14 that I need for that course. I try to set my bag up so that it has everything I need for that course.

Do you build your bag to be successful in that event/courses by adding/subtracting clubs you may not normally carry?

Or do you build your bag so that it suits your game?
A little of both, but mostly I'd build an MC bag that tried to compensate for my weaknesses and improved my chances in that competition.

I was 99% certain that if I was picked I was going to play a shortened driver with a lot of loft, a 4w and hybrids up through at least the 4i spot, probably 5i. The first two were intended to help ensure I was in the fairway off the tee - I don't see how anyone wins points if their second shot is a punch shot or penalty and I was easily willing to give up some yardage to avoid those fates. Since I would have more long second shots I would carry more hybrids. The other part of this strategy was that it would allow me to focus my practice on irons and short game, and help eliminate stupid course management decisions (i.e., no point in even thinking about going for it one two). At the other end of the bag I was open to making adjustments to account for likely playing on Bermuda grass, something this west coast guy has never done.

I would choose to keep my bag the same. Is one or two shots a round worth altering the whole makeup of your bag?

To me it isn't

My bag stays the same, looking to get the game and course mgmt to travel as well this year.

I think this is an awesome question, and one that I have struggled with for a few weeks now.

I've played the same driver-fairway-hybrid-8 irons-2 wedges setup for three years now. I was thinking of adding a second fairway, and increasing (going from 3h to 4h) the loft of my hybrid to cover a yardage gap, but I don't want to take the 4i out, nor do I want to drop a wedge. Now I'm leaning towards the better decision would be to swap out the 3 wood for a 5, and the 3h for a 4h, and keep the irons-wedge setup the same. I hit the 4h further than the 4i, I just have to stop paying attention to them both having a "4" on them.

None of this has to do with a tournament, I'm just starting to pay closer attention to yardage gaps, and deciding that maybe a bag shakeup would have me set up to cover those more.

I check to make sure I have the longer par 3s covered but after that I just stick to my own game.

My bag pretty much never changes. I think it's set up for success on any course I have to play and it's geared 100% towards my game.

My bag would remain the same. I have a "home" course, but frequently play a different course every week with my other 4 some. All the way, it's driver, 3w, 3-P, 52, 56, 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only got 14 clubs (except one extra putter in the garage) so I play them no matter what the course. If I had the resources to buy extra clubs to switch in and out depending on the course, I might go with a 3-wood, 4-wood or 64 degree wedge.

Back