2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Box sporting good stores have them. Heck, Walmart has them too. They really do work great.

I bought one that actually has nubs on it - really nice. problem is now for me is that my shoulder aches in the position where you have to hold yourself up to roll the hamstrings - which is my favorite thing to use the roller for. I also like to use a small, softball sized, round spikey massage ball for the glute / hip area.

Well I am a bit stiff but another match successfully negotiated and a 3-0 winning streak again and a 7-2 win for the team

Keep those matches coming and I will do my best to keep winning whilst getting fitter

Well I am a bit stiff but another match successfully negotiated and a 3-0 winning streak again and a 7-2 win for the team

Keep those matches coming and I will do my best to keep winning whilst getting fitter
nice! Keep it up!

I bought one that actually has nubs on it - really nice. problem is now for me is that my shoulder aches in the position where you have to hold yourself up to roll the hamstrings - which is my favorite thing to use the roller for. I also like to use a small, softball sized, round spikey massage ball for the glute / hip area.

Dude the rollers with the "nubs" on them are absolutely brutal. Kudos to you for using one of those.

Dude the rollers with the "nubs" on them are absolutely brutal. Kudos to you for using one of those.

The rumble ones work so well but god they hurt when they find a knot or hot spot. Usually results in a lot of OW OW OW OW WHY AM I DOING THIS

Felt a lot better today and got full workout and stretching in tonight....I did hit some balls today with a driver on a launch monitor and noticed I was hitting the driver longer.... At the moment though, my club head speed was about 3-5 MPH slower. I know the reasoning for the increase in distance but anyone have any ideas of why my club head speed would be lower??? Increase in muscle and just need to get them working quicker perhaps

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Felt a lot better today and got full workout and stretching in tonight....I did hit some balls today with a driver on a launch monitor and noticed I was hitting the driver longer.... At the moment though, my club head speed was about 3-5 MPH slower. I know the reasoning for the increase in distance but anyone have any ideas of why my club head speed would be lower??? Increase in muscle and just need to get them working quicker perhaps

Those launch monitors are finicky, dude. Probably best not to trust em'. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

10 minute warm up run @ 8mph

10x3 on squats with an 11th set as a strip down down set

4x12 on hack squats

6x25 meter lunges with 28kg kettlebells

4x 15, 12, 12, 10 on leg press

Lots and lots...... And LOTS of calf raises of multiple types and angles

A current craving for about 20 Caribbean Jerk Wings from B-Dubs!

Those launch monitors are finicky, dude. Probably best not to trust em'. Just sayin.

Agreed. Probably nothing you're doing or not doing

Might have been a bit premature last night.....struggling quite bad with my back today and not happy - really hoping it is just muscularbut got that horrible feeling it might not be so going to give it a couple days and see how it goes

Might have been a bit premature last night.....struggling quite bad with my back today and not happy - really hoping it is just muscularbut got that horrible feeling it might not be so going to give it a couple days and see how it goes

Sometimes rest is truly the best thing!

Sometimes rest is truly the best thing!

That is what I am hoping...and that it is not the joint in my lower back trying to pop out again like it did last year as that is not what I need after working to get back into playing again

Few days of rest should tell me one way or the other.....

My best friend is a nutritionist an personal trainer. He advised me that less weight-more reps, yoga, cardio and low fat- low carb- healthy diet is all you need. If you try to get bulk, you're just killing your game slowly (case in point Tigger Woods (yes I said Tigger).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree except for the less weight part. I'd say normal weight + more reps will not bulk you up. If you're not stressing your body both with weight and number of reps, you're not building strength.

My best friend is a nutritionist an personal trainer. He advised me that less weight-more reps, yoga, cardio and low fat- low carb- healthy diet is all you need. If you try to get bulk, you're just killing your game slowly (case in point Tigger Woods (yes I said Tigger).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree except for the less weight part. I'd say normal weight + more reps will not bulk you up. If you're not stressing your body both with weight and number of reps, you're not building strength.

I've always been taught, heavy weight medium reps builds strength. Light weights, high reps builds mass. Useless mass, but mass.

Definitely depends what you think of as medium reps (8 to 10?). My "high reps" is 16, so definitely not as high as 30 or 50 reps.
I must admit I haven't heard of low weight high reps producing bulk. I'd heard heavy weight low reps doing that, however.
I've always been taught, heavy weight medium reps builds strength. Light weights, high reps builds mass. Useless mass, but mass.

Definitely depends what you think of as medium reps (8 to 10?). My "high reps" is 16, so definitely not as high as 30 or 50 reps.
I must admit I haven't heard of low weight high reps producing bulk. I'd heard heavy weight low reps doing that, however.

The body builder structures I have seen recommend high reps sets to keep blood in the muscle which is supposed to add size and bulk. Well, that and steroids.

I think medium reps as 6-8.

Ah yeah, gotta get that pump. :D

The body builder structures I have seen recommend high reps sets to keep blood in the muscle which is supposed to add size and bulk. Well, that and steroids.

I think medium reps as 6-8.

Spartan race in the books. My wife has discovered the limits of what she likes in an obstacle race. On the other hand, this one was just long enough to be interesting. I'm interested to see if I'd like it more trying for time instead of going with my wife and getting a lot more rest running at her pace. Won't happen for awhile, but definitely want to try a longer obstacle race where I'm also running hard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

2 miles on stationary bike, stretch, 10 minute run/jog @4.5mph, followed by calf and leg workouts.

Now sitting on the massage table.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ran in the morning (on a weekday!) before breakfast and work for the first time in forever! On the treadmill. Only had time for 1 mile, though, so I did intervals: sprint (well, a sprint for me, anyways) at 7.5 mph, then recovery jogg at 5.0 mph. Then 7.6/5.0, 7.7/5.0, etc.

The main thing: I didn't make an excuse to NOT do it. It's tough to overcome that inactivity inertia - especially at 5:00 AM!

Posting here is a big motivator - more so than I imagined. The support I (and all others) get is very helpful - so thanks people!

I'm not Wicked or Blu ( those guys know there stuff! ) but maybe the following as far as reps / weights will be helpful.

1-3 reps - power & strength without maximum muscular growth. ( quite a few Olympic lifters do not get a lot bigger considering all the training they are doing ) You can actually manipulate this in multiple ways. If you are looking for strength gains only, doing 1 or 2 sets of your exercise in this rep range ( varying intensity - you don't want to go max ) 5 days a week will really train the CNS. Basically lifting, like any other sport, is a skill, and like any skill to get better you have to practice it - correctly. Doing it this way your body trains efficiently. Still, sooner or later, you will have to add mass.

3-5 reps - 5 sets of 5 reps is IMO, the best combo of strength & mass training. If I wanted strength more so than size, then I might do a 3 X 3-5 routine. Again, as a general rule - work at ranges between 60 -85% of max. Another reason I favor this range is that it is easier to maintain form & focus than in higher ranges. Also very important to wave the intensity...

6-8 reps - engages growth in different cellular structures. Very good for size, good for strength, but not optimal in my opinion. And it seems, in my experience, most of those training in this rep range are constantly going to failure, which generally is not smart.

Higher reps have there place in a bodybuilding routine if all you are worried about is size, but that's about it. Those who think " Well, I'll do high reps and lose more fat and get cut" are waaay off base though.

BodyRewritten Workout in for the THPMC.

Did a new BOSU ab workout today and definitely felt it

The debate in here about reps and size/strength is why I love the musclepharm workouts. They're so varied that I feel like I get the best of all types of lifting. Took a little break from lifting over the weekend, just hopped on the arc trainer sunday and yesterday. I'll be back into it today, working with the trainer and then I'll probably jump into a chest split afterwards.

Took a week off from the gym to get my set in the right frame of mind for it and to stop making excuses for myself to not go. Its being to cold out was my favorite one. Went yesterday and cracked the 4 mile mark which makes me happy, I've been sneaking up on it, increasing my speed (im still walking right now, hope to pick it up to a jog in a week or so) every time and finally cracked it yesterday. I then got some lifts in, a little medicine ball work in, and then a little flexiblity work to finish it off. Felt great to get it at and see a goal hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back