What Kind of Club Buyer Are You?

Impulsive buyer but a bargain shopper. Hate paying retail for anything. Don't hesitate to hop on something to see if I like it as I rarely visit big box retailers.

Me too. Lots of impulsive iron and driver buys if I see a great deal. If I don't like it, I sell for the next flashy thing.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

i feel rather connected to the golf galaxy here. i have bought a wedge, driver, putter, 2 of my jpz fli hi (the rest was xmas present from family dont know where they bought it), my gloves, shoes, tees and my stand bag from there and i technically started golf in october time frame so i guess ive spent it all there except for my 5 wood and scor wedges. i even wore my mizuno santa hat that i posted in golf styles at xmas for the golf galaxy christmas party. they know me by name and i know them by name. im 20 miles south and when i come back from visiting my brother in the area i stop just for the heck of it. i like being able to walk in and say hi all and they say hi mike in return

I am very slow and very frugal when buying equipment. I am going to research the purchase a great deal and really put a lot if effort into finding the very lowest price I possibly can. Even if I had a lot of $$$ to spare I thing I would still purchase the same way.

Tapatalk 2: The sequel is even better than the original.

I'm a slow buyer due to all the research I do. I'm even worse with electronics, unless its something I have reaserched on the front end and are waiting for it to come out.

I use to be a see it, think I love it, buy it and then regret it type guy. :beat-up: The Dick's sporting goods guys in Macon made enough off me to pay for their retirement pension. :act-up: Since we moved to a new town and some things have changed including health issues, all that free lance buying is history. It has come to being more responsible and smart when looking at the new stuff. I don't have to have the hottest thing out now days although I still get excited to talk about it. :D

I only get new clubs when I need them, and if I need them, I get them by trade or waiting until they get cheap.

I keep my irons for a very long time - I'm only on my 4th set since 1980. I'm just don't think the iron heads/steel shafts change that much so I see no sense in replacing my irons until the grooves are worn.
Drivers and putters I am the opposite and am an impulse buyer but usually only if they are a great deal. The only driver that I bought at full retail in the last 30 years was a Ping G2. I have a nice collection of about 25 drivers that are less than 6 years old, but I only spent more than $125 on a few of them. Most I manage to find on ebay for $60-$95. The funny thing is 90% of the drivers I buy never see more than 5 or 6 rounds before I decide they are not as good as something else I already have. I guess I'm searching for the Holy Grail of drivers and have yet to find it! I don't want to get rid of my collection of drivers or putters so I'm thinking of displaying all 50+ of them on the walls and/or ceiling of my man cave. So far there is just 3 framed golf prints and 2 neon beer signs on the walls so I've got plenty of room.

Impulsive buyer but a bargain shopper. Hate paying retail for anything. Don't hesitate to hop on something to see if I like it as I rarely visit big box retailers.

That's me too. I'm willing to try something if the price is right. On the flip side, no matter how much I love something, I won't buy it until the price hits a certain point.

I don't have time to hit the stores and try a lot of things out. Therefore I'm much more apt to buy, try and sell.

I'm cheap, so I usually buy wherever the price is best. That being said, I do not change frequently - changed a bunch of gear last year, but don't anticipate buying any golf clubs this year since I'm quite happy with my setup at the moment.

The Bio Cell driver and 3 wood are the first clubs I've ever paid full retail for, and I'll probably regret it when they are worth pennies by June.
Typically I'm a bargain shopper and only buy clubs at severe discounts and months after release.

Very slow buyer, with a heavy emphasis on bargain hunter.

My Golf Purchases have fallen as follows:
Driver - heavily discounted Ebay (previous seasons)
Woods/Hybrids - usually purchased new from the store in it's season of release
Irons - past season's mark downs, new from the store
Wedges - always new from the store
Putters - a mix of new from the store, and used from Ebay.

I try to try everything before eventually purchasing it. Ebay really changed my buying habits. I would previously grab whatever was marked down in the stores. Now I search Ebay for deals instead.

I'm somewhat of an impulse buyer with clubs. I did purchase my 3wood and hybrids last year from my local golf store but most of the time I look for the best price I can find online(usually ebay). I either buy clubs that are lightly used or new.

Impulse buyer here. Think I bought 4 or 5 drivers last year from ebay then put them back on ebay. Only one I kept is the R1, which I still don't play as it was replaced by the Xhot. The last 2 years I have gone through about 4 sets of irons before settling on the XHPs, although I had the CB3s in the bag for almost a year of that time. Before that I had the R9s which were only the 2nd set of irons I had bought from a retail store, X20s before those. Wedges I will buy from the local stores as you don't really find much of a discount on those online vs local, at least not enough to justify buying online and waiting vs. just going and buying and playing them the same day. Putters I have 4-5, but have only really played 3 different ones so far since I started golfing.

I support my local stores as much as possible but I do wait for the price drops.

I never pay full retail on principle. Golf clubs devalue 50-75% in the first year. EBay is great for golf gear ... I've bought so many clubs off ebay it's unbelievable. Recent example ... picked up 3 callaway forged wedges (last years model) barely used for around $100 total. Epic deal considering they sold for over $100 apiece last year. THe used club rack at Golfsmith & GOlf Galaxy can be really good too ... especially for Nike clubs

I would say Im pretty methodical on my approach to club buying, Im not overly against paying full retail as I like to support local golf shops, but I usually will do research, read reviews and hit all the clubs Im interested in several times before as Kevin Na would say "pulling the trigger".

I buy all my clubs at my home course where I can demo anything and everything on course for as long as needed. I also want my hard earned money going into the pocket of someone I know, not some box store that could care less about me.

I'd say I am like most here and pretty slow. Tend to do a fair amount of research before buying and don't pay the full retail price for anything. All of my bag is apart from one club is used/ex-demo and the one I bought new I traded another in for so cost very little.

I'd love to have the finance to walk into a store and pick up brand new gear but the savings you can make buying used blows new prices out of the water! That said probably the only clubs where the price differences aren't too great would be wedges, got to love new grooves.

I do loads of research and testing, but pull the trigger quick once my mind is made up. I sometimes buy local, but often give my business to 2 or 3 on line retailers that I trust. However, my latest set of irons were purchased locally from the place that did my fitting (Perfect Swing in Lakewood, NJ).

I am slow buyer and typically buy used clubs or closeouts. Have just recently started to switch my bag out for newer gear. Bought a closeout Nike Driver, used Titleist Hybrid, used Adams fairway wood, and used Callaway irons. Next purchase will probably be closeout wedges. Prior to that switch I had my driver in the bag for about 4 years, fairway wood and irons for about 9 years, and current wedges are about 7 years old.

I do have weakness for putters and used to switch them out a lot but have been playing my current putter for about 2 years now (it was a closeout though :act-up: ) .

Dreadfully slow. On everything. My second date with my wife was car shopping. Didn't buy a car until we had been together 14 months.

After the season I decide what parts of my bag I'm going to upgrade. I keep this in mind and budget accordingly during the winter so I have the money when I make a decision. I do ton's of research on THP during the winter months and then come spring I'll demo. As a teacher I have spring break and that's the week I do most my demoing. I will also go to demo days from the companies I'm looking at around this time as well. Once I've demoed everything I make a decision pretty quickly and buy right away. I always buy new. I will go online to the big box stores and see where I can get the best trade in value. I never keep multiple sets so since the prices are all pretty much the same at these stores I see where I get the best value for my clubs, trade them in and buy from that store.

Now sometimes things don't go quite as planned. If I demo and nothing beats my current clubs I use that money to play more golf :D. I won't force the issue and buy something just because I planned on it. Also, there have been times where I hadn't planned on upgrading but a club comes out that's just too good to pass up. Case in point, I had no plans on upgrading my driver for the upcoming season but with the Big Bertha coming out I will definitely be demoing that bad boy.

I am new so this is an interesting question. My current set of X Hots was bought because the X2 Hot was coming out. I think this is a good model, because I don't think club makers can make a major jump in one generation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do a lot of research. Then once I decided, I go for it. Almost always get a discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back