What Kind of Club Buyer Are You?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I know we all head to the local store to try out the latest and greatest, but is that where you pick up your gamers?

For me, I've always been a slow buyer with a particular price in mind.. Maybe it's because I change often, but things like drivers, woods, hybrids... They are all something I'd be far more inclined to price hunt months after release to get a great deal on.

Wedges, most putters, and maybe irons are the few I'd buy at full retail, but I've often tried to buy through my local pro shop or friends shops (like Carfangia up in Hubbard).

How about you? Do you feel connected with the place you buy from? Are you a club swapper more than a club buyer? What drives you to buy from where you do?

Slow slow buyer. Usually used clubs or via trade. Just never been one that has to have latest and greatest

Definitely a slow buyer here...I look for the best deals on every bit of equipment in the bag. I'd like to tinker a bit more, but I just don't have the extra $ to do so very often.

I'm real slow. When I finally do make a decision I purchase through a couple people I know which provides me a pretty darn good discount. For some reason I always buy my irons and wedges new. I don't mind if the other clubs in my bag are received second hand.

I'm real slow. When I finally do make a decision I purchase through a couple people I know which provides me a pretty darn good discount. For some reason I always buy my irons and wedges new. I don't mind if the other clubs in my bag are received second hand.

You think it has something to do with how much visibly faster the club face wears down on them? I'm certainly in that boat with you.

I am a slow buyer. I'm almost always shopping for all manner of clubs. Researching. Reading reviews. Trolling the Bay. Then when something hits the price point I want, I don't really hem and haw. I'm already aware of where the lowest price is and how much it is. Just a matter of freeing up the money and making it happen. I'm on a much tighter budget this year than I was last year, though. So I'm having to be very judicious.

I prefer to buy new, and so I'm ok with buying older stuff. So a two year old but new set of irons is preferable to a 3 month old used set, unless I know the person who's selling it. I can't really say why. Just how I think of it.

I'm a slow buyer. I look for the best deals or trades whenever possible. With two kids under 5, not much left over to buy full retail on anything. I will say putters are my weak spot and will pay full retail if I have the cash.

I've never had to have the latest and greatest. I don't have a local shop I feel connected to & usually make my purchases online after hitting them in the store.

I am a slow, deliberate, research driven, test drive the clubs and price conscience buyer. Very rarely pay full retail, Find what I want by testing, reading reviews on THP, etc. then scan the bay, BST, etc. for a great deal on what I want in barely used condition.

Research, research, research, try, research, try, research, research... IMPULSE BUY SOMETHING ELSE WHEN A DEAL COMES UP!

The altitudes have been the only non impulse, they were very considered.

You think it has something to do with how much visibly faster the club face wears down on them? I'm certainly in that boat with you.
No doubt. That and I'm paranoid about spin and sharp grooves.

If it is a significant purchase, like, say a driver, I'm a slow buyer. Not because of price, but I like to do a lot of research and be as informed as I can be before I buy. Good thing, because that's how I found THP. Once I decide what I think I want, I demo it against other offerings, and usually try to get fitted for it.

I am a slow buyer. Normally.

I lately have had the incredible opportunity to have won a few of my last sets so I haven't bought any irons or drivers at full retail in a long while. I will buy putters, wedges at full retail. I am also a big fan of trading clubs with people. Usually easy and no worries about having to spend money.

If I do buy, I am limited to a few stores but I will always go to the local smaller store. A great staff and they are always friendly and I have no problem giving them my business.

Impulsive buyer but a bargain shopper. Hate paying retail for anything. Don't hesitate to hop on something to see if I like it as I rarely visit big box retailers.

I probably won't buy anything at all unless I can hit it first. Before THP, I would, but probably not now. There's no big-box store here, but you can always find somehow to get it done, even if it's a day trip to ATL for golf w/ THPers and a stop-off at PGASS.
I totally wanted to hit a Hopkins wedge I had access to last weekend, and forgot to do it. Playing with THPers as much as we do, you know there's going to be opportunity to hit something.

People around here (not THP experts like we are) that buy the latest/greatest (says marketing on TV) every six months drive me nuts.

This is a tough one for me to answer. I always say that I research the club I want to replace, hit the ones where the reviews seem to fit my swing issues, have whatever I'm buying fitted, and if all of that works for me I have no problem paying full retail. Trading in clubs not in use takes some of the edge off.

That being said, I was custom fit for a driver last spring that I have been trying to replace ever since (through trades and buying new), so I really have no idea what type of club buyer I am.

I am an extremely slow buyer, I keep irons for several years and drivers longer. The only thing I change every year is wedges

When putting something in the bag long term I always go brand new

Last edited:
Have never bought a new set, ever. In Sweden its far between the "golf shops" and the prices at the club are a joke to say the least.. So its Ebay for me, good prices and models available which are more or less unheard of in Sweden. For instance, looking for a Taylormade burner 07 rescue 25* stiff, good luck finding that in Sweden. More likely to get hit by lightning.. :banghead:

Btw, hats off for u Canadiens and Americans, when buying from Ebay I have never ever been ripped off.. If buying something graded as good condition, its always at least in very good condition and so on..

Cheers!

Well, in a 12 month span I've switched irons and woods twice, and putter once. Though with the exception of my putter, I've bought everything off ebay. I can almost guarantee I won't be buying irons again for a couple years at least. I can't make the same promise on my woods and putter....

Impulsive buyer but a bargain shopper. Hate paying retail for anything. Don't hesitate to hop on something to see if I like it as I rarely visit big box retailers.

Same here, although I intend on getting custom fitted for my next set of clubs.

I'm an incredibly slow buyer. To point that I also don't purchase stuff. I really have to know that its what I want before I purchase it. I don't mind purchasing last years driver. I rarely purchase anything that I might already have. I only have 2 extra putters, and one of those I'm holding on to for trade bait and the other will probably go to Florida. I have a couple of extra wedges, but again those will end up in Florida at my parents place. I just don't have the funds to blow on equipment that I dont need or know for 100% its what I want. When it does come purchase time, if its available from my local shop I'm buying it there.

Generally a slow buyer/bargain shopper. But after the last impulse driver buy (what a deal), I'm going to take the time to get fitted for my next driver & 3-wood, whatever they may be.

I'm an incredibly slow buyer. To point that I also don't purchase stuff. I really have to know that its what I want before I purchase it. I don't mind purchasing last years driver. I rarely purchase anything that I might already have. I only have 2 extra putters, and one of those I'm holding on to for trade bait and the other will probably go to Florida. I have a couple of extra wedges, but again those will end up in Florida at my parents place. I just don't have the funds to blow on equipment that I dont need or know for 100% its what I want. When it does come purchase time, if its available from my local shop I'm buying it there.

hahaha yeah dude, you are insanely slow. There's no denying that one.

I'm a slow and infrequent buyer, and until recently, a mostly uninformed buyer as well. Hate paying full price for clubs and usually look for prior years' models.

I'm a researcher, slow buyer. I like to see feedback on items, I would prefer to try them as well. Usually I'd go a year old model or used in great condition. Wedges are the exception, I'll buy those new.

I've been lucky. The guy I get all my clubs through opened a driving range a few years ago and has came a long way. He never charges me full prices and always puts me through fittings to get my dialed in.

Back