How does you significant other feel about golf...and the time you spend on it?

My ex was never a fan of golf. Any time I played golf it was grounds for some sort of argument. I'm definitely jealous of the lucky ones who have spouses/significant others that are cool with them golfing.
Its really got nothing to do with golf. Its a choice. If you are with someone who would stand in the way of you doing what you love, maybe that isnt the person you should be with.
One of my ex-girlfriends hated golf and thought it was a stupid waste of time and money. Needless to say, that relationship didnt last very long.

My wife does not play and has no desire to start. A couple years ago, she said "I don't care what you spend on golf, it's all you do." My gosh I love that woman!

My wife does not play and has no desire to start. A couple years ago, she said "I don't care what you spend on golf, it's all you do." My gosh I love that woman!

That is a fantastic response!!!! Shame she's not into it though, it's a unique thing to do together.

I taught my wife to play when we were dating many years ago. We played some pretty cool spots before we had our daughter 15 years ago. Then she played very rarely until our daughter was about ten. Never hassled me, though, and I had a membership for myself throughout that time. But I was never a guy that would neglect something to play golf. My daughter started playing a little at 10, then seriously at 11. We've been a full blown golfing family since, though both my wife and I have played less this year as we drive our daughter around WI and IL to play in tournaments. My wife has really played less. We also run a business together and she has covered for me many times through the years so I can play.

She's okay. Look at her over there, watching preseason Packers and eating $.25 Thursday takeout chicken wings from Finns.

Kevin

That is a fantastic response!!!! Shame she's not into it though, it's a unique thing to do together.

I've been careful not to abuse her generosity. I try out several drivers a year, but they usually used and last years models, but I'm good with that because I'm cheap too.

I'm told often that I am obsessed with golf..and my answer remains the same...why yes...yes I am!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just going to throw this in here, seems like as good a place as any.

My wife knows I'm obsessed with golf, and she's ok with it. I have a pretty decent routine of golf 2 days a week. I Play 5 days the week of the city tournament, there's usually a couple of golf trips each year as well. She has also caught on that each year, I'm going to make one golf purchase. One year, it was a 3 wood. Another year, it was wedge, golf shoes, new driver, etc, its been going on for 5 years now since I got out of college.

Well, starting last year, I started talking to her about buying a golf cart. I mean, I really have everything I need, but I keep borrowing my uncle's golf cart, and when were both trying to golf, obviously I end up walking because it is his cart after all. And then I got a $100 gift card to Golf Galaxy, and I was wondering what I was going to use it for, and I started thinking that maybe I'd get a new set of irons (if any exist that justify their price). So I tell my wife that I'm thinking of doing both this year, is getting new irons AND a golf cart. Well last night, she tells me that I can only choose one or the other. So we start talking total cost for both, and she believes that I'll add $1000 to that total cost by the time its done and she'll just have to give in. I love her so much, because she understands that my cost estimate is always a little low by the time I actually make the purchase.

Then she calls my aunt, to ask what my uncle pays for cart storage at the course. It's only $75.00 for the year. She then points out that I'm wanting a cart but she doesn't think I need one. My aunt tells her "god yes let him have a cart. Jerry (my uncle) has two carts." Love my aunt. That appeared to seal the deal on that situation.

So over the years, I've replaced my driver, I've added a couple wedges, got new shoes, got a new cart bag (even though I don't own a cart......yet). I have a multitude of golf clothes thanks to Adidas and Nike outlet stores. With a new cart and new irons, I'll have replaced or purchased everything a guy could need for golf really.

But here's the funniest part of this story. This morning, my wife tells me "if you get a cart and irons this year, I'm trying to figure out what you'll buy next year. I know you'll get something, you can't help but spend money on golf, but what will it be?" To which I responded, "I was thinking the same thing last night. I'm not sure what it will be, but I do still have a spot open in my bag."

She walked away with one of those smiles that says 'I'm annoyed how much money you spend on golf, but I know you love it.'

And for that, I love my wife, because even though she has to fight to keep my golf spending in check, she also is pretty generous in how much I spend on golf.

Just felt like sharing.

~Rock

Just like I support my wife's craft nights/girls night out time, she supports me going golfing with the guys. We both realize that a strong circle of friends is healthy, and that once the little one arrives having an outlet so that at least one parent can get away for a couple of hours a couple of times a month will be a good thing. I haven't been able to convince her to golf with me yet.

My BiL overheard my wife and SiL talking about our outlets, and he said "Maybe I should take up a hobby." The SiL agreed and my wife told me I should buy him a golf club for his birthday. Hunting for a good putter deal as we speak.

shes ok with it as long as i dont go more then 2-3 times a week. more then that and im going to get some comments.

I'm lucky enough that I have an amazing wife who let's me play as much golf as I want, she even encourages me to get out and play when I say I may not. She's amazing!!

Fortunately, like you, my wife is extremely accomodating to my golfing. Because for a time, we both put our professional lives ahead of our personal lives, I guess it would be reasonable to say we married rather late in life. Accordingly, each of us was rather settled in our ways. We do have a couple of agreements that work well for us. When we take vacations, there must be a beach for her and a golf course for me. We maintain a calendar where we can write in any event or other matter that each perceives important. If there is no entry on that calendar, she knows that I am on a golf course. If she has entered something important to her, I don't play, its only right. We are not the types that must spend the entire day together, we each have our own interests. It helps when asked how was your day.

I am luck in that my wife is very encouraging to my playing every Saturday and Sunday. She does not play nor wants to but she understands that I love it and is behind me all the way. As long as I match my yearly membership dues with a cash payoff to her, all is good in my household!

My wife does not play golf at all she says its too slow for her. She does not mind that I golf. What she hates is my equipment addiction ha ha.

Supportive I assume...or is it she just wants me out of the house? As for equipment wise...she despises me for buying anything new. LOL!!! You just got that drive last year why do you need another.

she hates it, too much time, too much money. the only thing that helps me is that I enjoy playing with her dad

Jacqui is jonesing for March to get here so she can get back to the course full time. She goes on salary this year so she'll be working a bit more during the summer, but won't have to find a winter job come November and December. She also won't be closing every night, so she'll be able to get some nines in after work.

As hard as I work and the amount of time I put in around the house I can golf pretty much when I want, but with a 4 & 2 year old in the mix I don't. I just can't be that selfish. So I practice 2-3 times a week & play at least 2 or 3 times a month weather permitting.

I've learned the hard way if momma ain't happy, no one is happy. So I keep her happy and maintain the balance so I can golf.

That's fantastic Rock! That's a fantastic spouse to have for sure. I may have to come check out the cart and play a round out there this year :)

Just going to throw this in here, seems like as good a place as any.

My wife knows I'm obsessed with golf, and she's ok with it. I have a pretty decent routine of golf 2 days a week. I Play 5 days the week of the city tournament, there's usually a couple of golf trips each year as well. She has also caught on that each year, I'm going to make one golf purchase. One year, it was a 3 wood. Another year, it was wedge, golf shoes, new driver, etc, its been going on for 5 years now since I got out of college.

Well, starting last year, I started talking to her about buying a golf cart. I mean, I really have everything I need, but I keep borrowing my uncle's golf cart, and when were both trying to golf, obviously I end up walking because it is his cart after all. And then I got a $100 gift card to Golf Galaxy, and I was wondering what I was going to use it for, and I started thinking that maybe I'd get a new set of irons (if any exist that justify their price). So I tell my wife that I'm thinking of doing both this year, is getting new irons AND a golf cart. Well last night, she tells me that I can only choose one or the other. So we start talking total cost for both, and she believes that I'll add $1000 to that total cost by the time its done and she'll just have to give in. I love her so much, because she understands that my cost estimate is always a little low by the time I actually make the purchase.

Then she calls my aunt, to ask what my uncle pays for cart storage at the course. It's only $75.00 for the year. She then points out that I'm wanting a cart but she doesn't think I need one. My aunt tells her "god yes let him have a cart. Jerry (my uncle) has two carts." Love my aunt. That appeared to seal the deal on that situation.

So over the years, I've replaced my driver, I've added a couple wedges, got new shoes, got a new cart bag (even though I don't own a cart......yet). I have a multitude of golf clothes thanks to Adidas and Nike outlet stores. With a new cart and new irons, I'll have replaced or purchased everything a guy could need for golf really.

But here's the funniest part of this story. This morning, my wife tells me "if you get a cart and irons this year, I'm trying to figure out what you'll buy next year. I know you'll get something, you can't help but spend money on golf, but what will it be?" To which I responded, "I was thinking the same thing last night. I'm not sure what it will be, but I do still have a spot open in my bag."

She walked away with one of those smiles that says 'I'm annoyed how much money you spend on golf, but I know you love it.'

And for that, I love my wife, because even though she has to fight to keep my golf spending in check, she also is pretty generous in how much I spend on golf.

Just felt like sharing.

~Rock

My wife has a blood disorder and for that often needs a lot of help around the house due to her energy levels.

She is normally cool with me playing or practicing when I can with the understanding that sometimes I might need to come home early or do things around the house first

With the Morgan Cup, she has been very patient with me and wants me to do my best

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Additionally, I have found that a couple of season tickets to the Ravens has worked out well. Not only do they yield some domestic points, thery are reoccuring points. She goes to the game with a relative or friend and I go to the course. I'll go if it is an 8pm or Monday night game.

My girlfriend loves golf. Plays with me everychance she can. Doesnt get mad at all unless she cant play then shes jealous. Shes understands completely. Our deal is just when I buy something for me ibhave to buy her somwthing too..lol

Wife never cared until we had kids 2 years ago. She still doesn't mind that I golf, just can't get out as much as I used to because of helping with them on the weekends.

My significant other, Becky, really thinks I'm insane when it comes to golf. She knows how much I practice and how much time it takes up for me. That being said, she's all for it. She is constantly pushing me to do what I love and to play/practice as much as I want. (Maybe she has a b/f on the side? j/k) For my birthday she bought me a Voice Caddie and for Christmas a ClicGear 3.5. She listens to me replay shot after shot of not only my round, but also my playing partners. She watches me constantly swing and practice all over the house. She even let me put my birdieball green in the living room (which I have NO idea how that happened, but I'm soooooo greatful for that one).

As much time as it takes up and away from her, she really does support pretty much everything and anything I do. I love her to death for this. Granted, we're not married (been together a while and live together) and do not have children. But I think even at that point, she'll maintain the same attitude because she knows it brings me a lot of joy and lets me get out and get some social interaction.

One day I hope her patience level with golf, in terms of playing it, will get better. Trying to teach a perfectionist to golf is pretty rough so she doesn't handle playing the actual game well. But she'll come to the range while I hack away...usually just reading a book or just enjoying the day. I can usually get her to swing a couple times.

Overall, I'm super lucky to have her put up with and support my crazy golf addiction. Sounds like many others on here are as well!! Treat them right fellas.

Happy "Big Bertha Release Day" everyone!!! :)

We maintain a calendar where we can write in any event or other matter that each perceives important. If there is no entry on that calendar, she knows that I am on a golf course. If she has entered something important to her, I don't play, its only right.
Awesome idea. Think I am going to pitch this idea to the wife tonight.

My wife has mixed feelings about it. She doesn't play but understand my love of the game. She get frustrated with the amount I play because it leaves her with the kids, but I try to make it up to her as she gets her days out as well. It's a little give and take but for the most part my wife understands. I have my 'golf' money and spend it how I want but I get no more!

Mine spends as much as I do on golf so we're pretty much equal on the money thing. She also plays as much as I do and actually plays more tournament golf than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back