dzdncfsd

Reaction score
Handicap
Well I get my first lesson this Saturday at 10:00. I purchased 6 lessons and I'm really excited to start.

I met this guy while hitting at the range and he offered me some advice that made a huge difference in about 5 minutes. Can't wait to see what he can do with me in 6 30 minute lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to you!! I'm debating whether or not I want to go back to my same instructor or try someone else :confused2:

Re: First Lesson!!

Well had my first lesson yesterday and came out of it a little frustrated. He basically said my swing was sound however he wanted to see me adjust a few minor things that would improve my accuracy.

The first adjustment was with my grip. On my right hand I typically placed my index finger down the top of the shaft. He said he could see that at the top of my swing I was pinching the club shaft which then twisted the shaft slightly on my downswing. He wants it to be more relaxed. This was easy to correct for me.

Next change was that on my back swing I'm moving my body backwards putting my weight on my back foot. This one is giving more trouble but I know he's correct. I guess this is just going to take me more time to correct but I was frustrated after hitting two jumbo buckets it still was difficult to me and was causing me to not make good contact. I think I need to relax and just work on this more. I think I'm just being too tough on myself as I'm sure it'll all come together.

Next was my head. Due to moving my weight back as well as not following through with my hips all of the time my head is bouncing all over the place. This like the body movement is driving me nuts. I know it's just going to take more time and luckily for me time I have.

I just need to get the thought out of my head that after one lesson I'm going to be perfect. I just set some unrealistic goals for myself and need to relax a little. Once I start hitting the ball badly I start swinging for the fences rather than just relaxing.

Lesson #2 next Thursday. We are going to start working on putting and a little chipping

Stay at it, nothing worth while comes easily in life. Keep practicing and it will come with time. Remember crawl, walk then run.

Reading your post and the changes he's helping you with reminded me of a video BigLeftyinAZ posted a while back. Hope it show's you what your instructer is looking for. I thought it was a great video. It's about 6 posts down in this thread:

Getting more power. - The Hackers Paradise

Good luck! Hope you stay with it.

Congrats on signing up for lessons!

Thanks guys and thanks for that link thedue. I seriously just need to give myself a break. For some reason i've gotten into my head that I should already be playing in the mid 80's after only a few months in the game. My pro did said he saw allot more good in my swing than bad and expects me to be putting up some solid scores in no time.

One thing I was shocked by was the added distance I'm seeing with his tips. When I'm making solid contact I was hitting my 6 iron around 185-190. Before the lesson I was hitting my 6 about 15-20 yards shorter even though I was swinging much harder.

I'm seriously looking forward to my short game lesson. So far it's all been guess work. I really have no idea what I'm doing and have just been making it up as I go.

I think lessons are worth the money. We all want to work it out ourselves, but more often than not, we need a set of qualified eyes to see what is going on. I have had the same teacher for thirty fives years, a PGA life member and it takes him just a couple of swings to know what I'm doing wrong.
Stick with what your told. It will click sooner or later and you will be happy you stuck it out.

congratulations dz stick with it in time your game will improve.

Well I get my first lesson this Saturday at 10:00. I purchased 6 lessons and I'm really excited to start.

Good luck! It's fun and hard work at the same time. The best part is seeing the progress. I look forward to your report after the next lesson.

Thanks every. I'm not giving up this game anytime soon so no worries there. I ended up going out today to hit some more balls and see if I could figure out what I was doing wrong. Well no such luck haha. Inwas hitting my woods well but really struggled with my irons. I have a feeling it has to do with my stance at address. I had been crowding the ball before the lesson so we worked on this. The problem (I think) now is that I feel as though I'm not bending enough at my back and bending too much at my knees.

I'll be back at the range tomorrow to see if I can get this figured out. I have my putting lesson scheduled for this Thursday but may have him work with me a little more on my long game.

Having an instructor, especially when you are new to the sport like me (or took a very long extended vacation from it) helps a lot and she helps me figure out what I'm doing wrong and tweaks it a bit so that I can hit them straight and hit them far :good: I haven't had a golf lesson in a few weeks, primarily due to the rain, but I think I'll give it a rest for now and see how my game goes and how I can "try" to correct myself and figure out on my own what I need to do! If not, well then its either back to her and try and find someone else for a different method/style of teaching.

Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but thanks thedue and BigLeftyinAZ. I have been struggling with my weight transfer and after watching the pros and the way they shift their weight and couldn't figure out how their legs moved they way they do to get the weight transfer. After watching that video it all makes such perfect sence. I guess I should be been watching their hips. An eureka momnet. Thanks again.

Oh, and good luck with the lessons dzdncfsd. Stick with it and it will all be worth it in the end.

No problem islander. To be honest I appreciate any and all feedback as well as others personal experiences.

I'm actually off this morning to attend my second lesson. We had planned to concentrate on putting and chipping however since I'm still struggling with my swing we are going to revisit my long game. If time allows we may try and make it an hour lesson so I can still get some work on my short game.

Wish me luck!!!

Good luck :)

I haven't had a lesson in 2 weeks going on 3, but I think I'll hold off on them for a while. I def. need MORE practice than lessons right now!!

Ok so golf lesson #2 was a huge success. We spent an hour together as I was really struggling with shifting my weight and releasing the club too early. Then all of a sudden wverything just clicked. I was really having a hard time putting the tips he told me into action but then a light went on and it just worked.

After leaving the lesson I ended up driving to a range near me and hit another 2 large buckets and other than the occasional fat shot I was hitting everything flush and on target.

This is what makes me love this game. When everything starts working for you it's just makes all those four letter word shots worth it.

Glad to hear its going well for you :) Just keep practicing...

That is what my problem was, I wasn't able to practice as much during the week...so I've put the lessons on hold and just need to practice more before I go back to the lessons to see what I need to work on :good:

Back