Sticking with brands??

wheela

Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious how many of you like to stick with the same brands throughout woods/irons/wedges????

as you can see i don't - i just use what works for me

what do you think? :zsimpsons:

I like to. I'm one of those guys that like things to match and like to look good on the course.

Matching things up and looking sharp is probably more important to me than a lot of others.

I started out with the "all one brand" mindset but now I am mixing it up based upon what I like. I am planning to up grade my irons this season, the Nickents are my first set, and I plan to try various brands.

My wife is a one brand.

I have been playing a full Callaway bag for at least fifteen years, with the putter being the exception. I have gotten so use to the sound and the feel of their clubs it makes it hard for me to like anything else. My home course also has a super relationship with Callaway and that makes it even easier to buy what you want as far as spec's go. Callaway also has a very good customer service department. I have demo'ed lots of other brands over the years, but when it comes to opening the wallet, I just stick with what works for me.

Just curious how many of you like to stick with the same brands throughout woods/irons/wedges????

as you can see i don't - i just use what works for me

what do you think? :zsimpsons:

I'm with ya Wheela....unless I have a contract that only obligates me to play a certain brand, I'll play what's best for me and my game whether or not it matches. That being said, the only thing I try to have match are my wedges.

Not me.I use whatever works for me at the time.Even off the wall names like pacifica fairways...ever heard of them?

I don't make it a point to keep all my clubs matching, but I give Mizuno "first right of refusal" of sorts. Not so much to keep my clubs "matching", moreso because I think they make a good product and don't get too caught up in the marketing aspect of the game, and because their hybrids and woods, to some extent, are under the radar and can be found cheap in the used market.

no specific brand loyalties here!

i'm not brand loyal unless i have to be. and right now...i do. last season it was a struggle. this season looks to be picking up tremendously. i am quite excited about the the arsenal that is coming my way.

there is nothing worse than having to mad scramble to switch out head covers over competing drivers and swap putters out when your rep is on the way. he's tricky....he sneaks into the bag room sometimes before i can get to it. sorry pal.....but i'm not gaming a driver that is 20 yards shorter.

I like my irons to be the same and like many other people, I consider a PW to be more like a "10-iron", so that particular wedge is generally part of the iron set. I like my wedges to be made by the same manufacturer as well, but they don't necessarily have to match the irons.

The woods and hybrids can be whatever they need to be as long as they work and the same with the putter. About the only "brand loyalty" I have is golf balls; I've played Titleist for as long as I can remember and I love my Pro V's!

-JP

I pretty much stick with the same brands....aside from my hybrid and wedges.....my buddies here make fun of me everytime i walk up while they're waiting for me at the first tee they say "wow man you getting ready for the PGA"......i get a kick out of it.....

I am all over the map with brands usually. I play by feel, so if it feels right, I don't care what the brand is. I have tended to stay with TM for drivers in the last few years because I trust that they are going to work for me.

I will never change from the brand of irons I play. The iron model will be different, since previous iron models are usually discontinued by the time I renew. I also like for my irons to match from the long irons, all the way through to my lob wedge.

Woods on the other hand, since I like components, usually changes with each renewal purchase. Again, discontinued models of a club head, and (especially) shafts require a change.

I will never change from the brand of irons I play. The iron model will be different, since previous iron models are usually discontinued by the time I renew...

I take it then that if the irons you're using at the time were still available, you'd buy them again?

If so, why not buy a second or even third set of the same irons just before they're scheduled to be discontinued? You would probably be able to buy them at a considerable discount since they're on their way out and the retailers are looking to get rid of old inventory.

In the long run, you'd save a lot of money (instead of buying new models every two years or so) and you'd be able to play the same irons instead of having to get used to a different model.

Just a thought.

-JP

I have thought of doing what you suggest, but at my age with every set of clubs I purchase, I figure this is the last set I will need to own. Then at some point the promise of improved playability of the the newer models raises it's ugly head. I start thinking about gaining back some lost yardage due to tech advancements, and presto I have new set in my bag. No need to have the same technology in my bag, even if it is new.

If so, why not buy a second or even third set of the same irons just before they're scheduled to be discontinued? You would probably be able to buy them at a considerable discount since they're on their way out and the retailers are looking to get rid of old inventory.

In the long run, you'd save a lot of money (instead of buying new models every two years or so) and you'd be able to play the same irons instead of having to get used to a different model.

Just a thought.

-JP[/QUOTE]

My love for matchy-matchy doesn't extend to my bag. If I see a woman playing all one brand, it says to me that she didn't think about her clubs, even if she did. Alternatively, it says her husband bought her some clubs without much input from her.

I have been playing a full Callaway bag for at least fifteen years, with the putter being the exception. I have gotten so use to the sound and the feel of their clubs it makes it hard for me to like anything else. My home course also has a super relationship with Callaway and that makes it even easier to buy what you want as far as spec's go. Callaway also has a very good customer service department. I have demo'ed lots of other brands over the years, but when it comes to opening the wallet, I just stick with what works for me.

I wish I could say I agree with you.

I like to. I'm one of those guys that like things to match and like to look good on the course.

Matching things up and looking sharp is probably more important to me than a lot of others.

haha i love the honesty.....i know plenty of people in your boat......

Not me.I use whatever works for me at the time.Even off the wall names like pacifica fairways...ever heard of them?

pacifica fairways???? never heard of em........obviously you like em

I think you should use what works for you. Some people like to have their bag be all the same brand, some dont.
You may find that for certain clubs you like one brand and for other clubs you like another.

I much prefer to have all one brand, that includes the golf bag, golf balls, and towel. All I need to do is replace my driver and I'll be all set (almost). I probably won't get a Titleist/Cameron putter because I really don't care all that much for them.

I refuse to do the all one brand bit, have my reasons & will not list them as it will just piss people off.

You've had a bad experience with Callaway's customer service? I've experienced excellent service from them, and I've never heard different from anyone else. What happened?

Way too long and boring, with no punchline.

I like playing the game with multiple names in the bag. The clubs I have now work well for my game, but I think the deals that I got on them is what made me buy them. I know that my bag is pretty heavy with Cleveland items, but I tested out plenty of items before settling with what I have and their equipment just works for me. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't have a niblick and a cg15 in my bag before spring too. Cost had a huge factor in how my bag was put together.

With all of the technology used in clubhead design anymore, the major companies provide enough choices to satisfy most demographics of amateur golfers. With a custom fitting to tweak the clubhead and get the right shaft and grip for the club, there should be a minimal difference in performance from one company to another. A lot of choices are probably made on the look of a club and the confidence it may instill in the golfer as they swing the club. When I see someone with a complete matching set, I think they are more into their image than their game. If the stuff works for them, great... if not, oh well. I know it won't affect my strokes any.

Back