How cold is too cold?

All depends on the wind for this guy. Usually won't go out below 35-40 tho.

Agreeing with all the Floridians. Anything under 50, eff that noise. When I'm having to layer compression shirts and sweaters, that's not golf. That's just awful.

Agreeing with all the Floridians. Anything under 50, eff that noise. When I'm having to layer compression shirts and sweaters, that's not golf. That's just awful.
I dont like golfing in pants.

I generally have a hard and fast 50 degree rule. But between this brutal winter, and me being fired up for the Morgan Cup, I have fudged on that rule this winter.

I've become the golfer I used to make fun of lol, I won't play below 50 anymore, I just can't swing with a bunch of junk on. When I did play in the cold nothing ever happened to any gear, I never had a problem.
My biggest complaint playing in the cold, is all the layers you have to wear. It's hard enough to for me to put the club face on the ball without looking like Randy from The Christmas Story.
North Dakota is changing my answer to this. I want to play

After a winter like this, I'll go a few degrees colder just to get out there.
You BOTH ain't kidding. Sunny and no wind = me at the driving range as long as its above 20 degrees. This snow, and the subsequent thaw, is going to take FOREVER this year.

I've many times in 30F without any issues. As long as I'm comfortable playing, I do!

I played a couple weekends ago when it was 32* at tee off and never got above 45*. Wind chill made it around high twenties most of the round. Had a great game, but it was taxing. Didn't layer well and never warmed up. The experience was something I'll never forget though.

Tired to go out a few times toward the end of fall around 40°, but I always ended up playing terrible and just felt uncomfortable and too damn cold lol. I told myself I won't go out this spring until it hits 50°!

It really depends on the season for me. 45* is a lot warmer coming out of winter than it is after summer.

50's for me. I'm just old enough that my joints don't like the cold.

I've played in the 20's with no wind and didn't damage any equipment. The results of each shot certainly aren't what you would like for distance, but it's nice to swing a club. If there's wind, I don't like playing in temps under 45

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

I've never worried about my equipment in the cold. Its more my limbs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

:act-up:Ok..now this is really against the grain of being a golfer in northern Indiana. But I won't play below 60... Seriously.. I play the best courses I can find. And if I'm going to pay top $ dollar to pay, I'm only going to play on the days that I can enjoy it. For practicing, I would say 50 degrees..and that is pushing it.

so my season is really 3 to 4 months.. But if I'm going to continue to enjoy the good courses, than I'm going on good days

I am in the Indianapolis area and there are a number of good indoor facilities around, mostly on the north side, but there is also a nice place in Avon.

Again it still golf, so whatever temp you can stand have at it. I don't really like the diminished distance with cold balls. Would think that below 40 banging away on the range with a 100+ or so swing speed would have a better chance damaging a driver face or shaft.

I work outside, so cold doesn't bother me too much. I do get sick of it, but it doesn't stop me from going outside. Try to keep it above freezing, frozen ground sucks. But if its been more than 2 weeks since I last played then I could care less. Not too big on the indoor golf thing.

55 today, so no thermals. First time playing around here with out thermals since November.

If the course is open, I will play it. There are a couple of courses around here that will open if there is no snow on the greens.
I have heard they were going to open this weekend, but I have not confirmed this yet. I have played in temps as low as 34 degrees.
I was "2 glove drumdog" that day.

Here in central Indiana we've had the snowiest meteorological winter ever and finally all but the piles of snow have melted. Sadly it's suppose to turn cold again next week but not snow too much. With high temps next week in the mid 20s my question is "How cold can it get before you start to worry about damage to your equipment?" I've made a few purchases this winter and itching to the bone to hit balls outside!

Well, I won't play if it goes below about 60 with the sun shining and little wind. Add wind and overcast and the number goes up to about 64. If I have to wear more than a sweatshirt or sweater I can't swing the club right. Fortunately, around here too hot is more a problem than too cold. However, if you're thinking of playing in 20 degree temps (really?) I wish you the best of luck!

Living in northern NY, if the course is open we play. We all have cold weather golf gloves and gear up here!
Besides, what's more fun than watching your approach bounce 20 feet in the air off of a frozen green?

I've played this year 10-12 times in under 30, many in the single digits. You get them when you can in the colder climates. Your equipment will be fine. I just avoid bunkers when frozen. Pretty funny watching the ball bounce on tee shots. Playing irons in on frozen greens takes some getting used to and then messes with me when it warms up.

Depends on sunshine and wind. No sun and about 40 is as cold as I want. A sunny day can make mid 30's feel okay. Wind chill is brutal and that can make anything under low 40's just suck.

Back