TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This just landed on the USGA conforming list.

i-gjGN9tm-XL.jpg

i-dFn47Jb-XL.jpg

i-xWX9PcS-XL.jpg

i-4tJJjMk-XL.jpg

i-C7mdfxJ-XL.jpg

i-RhGCng3-XL.jpg

i-4swzdGm-XL.jpg

i-sfvw5vq-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Taylormade's first move into the mini driver fairway wood at a solid 12 degrees. I saw this this morning and have been curious about it ever since, especially with that particular head. I would have thought the Jetspeed, which felt a lot more forgiving than the SLDR head, would be the better fit. Looks like it'll be glued based on the photo as well.

Almost looks just like the Jetspeed I think.

Oh wow this is interesting. Clearly am attempt at the Deep series from Callaway. Interested in seeing it to say the least.

For obvious reasons I am going to want to try it out as soon as that's possible. However it just seems to be a very curious release.

Very nice would mark a great tee only 3 wood

I can't wait to see more!

Taylormade and Callaway going toe to toe like this bodes well for all of us.

This type of club doesn't really intrigue me that much as I find when I hit them well they are the same distance as driver, and they are harder to hit well for me.

Would love to try. More forgiving than the driver?

Intrigued by this as well. I wonder which, if any, TM staffers bag this for the Masters.

Now this is cool. I was waiting for someone to come out with a 12 degree mini. Now I can kick the big clonkin 460º monster out of the bag and use this. I can see getting good distance and accuracy with this bad boy.

Interesting.

Phrankenwood? Looks that way. Wonder when they have the prototypes out on tour.

Nice. I tend to hit smaller heads better so maybe I'll give this a shot

Phrankenwood? Looks that way. Wonder when they have the prototypes out on tour.

Seems like it. Another club that people will get excited about, but 99% of us amateurs have no business trying to hit.

Seems like it. Another club that people will get excited about, but 99% of us amateurs have no business trying to hit.

Bingo. But you know they will sell a boatload of them. Only reason Callaway didn't was because they never made it to production. I think that was a good move.

Am I the only one who hopes they don't call it "mini driver?" Looks interesting though!

More I think of this the more I start to remember the Long Tom 2 wood. I'm still confused by this though. Esp if the story behind the SLDR has been to loft up. So what would this do for me?

Things that make you go hmmmmmm

More I think of this the more I start to remember the Long Tom 2 wood. I'm still confused by this though. Esp if the story behind the SLDR has been to loft up. So what would this do for me?

Only thing I can think of is that the intent is that people will see it's too deep faced to use off the fairway and will use it as a driver replacement. Now you have a mini driver in that 240-280cc range at 12 degrees of loft that you can make as hot faced as you want cause it's technically a fairway wood and not a driver. I don't know, it'll work for some but I have no idea how forgiving it'll be. The CG forward fairway woods really kinda fizzle when you miss the face.

Interesting that they are doing this. Not sure what to think beyond that though really. Will be interesting how it turns out.

Back