Does your group play ready golf or defer to etiquette?

ddelloch

Reaction score
Handicap
The topic says it all.

Almost all the groups I play with play ready golf. This is mostly because someone is always searching for a ball somewhere every hole and if we waited for them it would turn into a very long round. If you are ready and no one is hitting have at it, within reason of course. We did have to explain to one friend that while we all wanted to play ready golf, he didn't get to run 50y ahead to hit his ball just because he was impatient and he was actually just slowing us all down by doing that.

Same with on the putting green. As long as you aren't in someones way and aren't making a mess of things, just putt it out and get it done.

I think if our average skill level went up as a group and evened out across the group we would probably play more proper golf but until then hit when ready.

I don't defined ready golf is bad etiquette, however, most times if someone birds or eagles, they'll need to give the green light for ready golf to occur on the next tee box (out of respect from the other guys).

If there are two balls close, the guy furthest hits first most times. If it's on opposite sides of the fairway, it generally doesn't make much difference. Hit, then help if someone's ball hunting. We do various things to improve our speed of play, but I don't think anything dramatic.

I like to play ready golf, but there is a fine line between playing ready golf and rushing. I don't like to be rushed, but I'm all for hitting while someone is searching for a ball or determining the drop.

On the tee box my superstitions kick in and I will never tee off before a birdie or par on the previous hole.

Ready golf on the tee and then furthest out all the way to the hole unless someone is taking longer on a shot then if other person is ready they can go.

Typically more ready golf than anything but even when waiting on someone I have my club pulled and ready to go when they're hitting

Usually it's ready golf with the guys I play with. Unless a guy got a birdie or better on the last hole, then I'll usually let him have the box out of respect for the good score, unless he says otherwise. On the green it's usually farthest guy out, unless he's not ready.

I play ready golf except on the green and after a birdie on the next tee box. I will putt out of turn if there is something going on and we are having to wait for some reason.

If there's money on the line, we'll usually stick to proper order, but if we're just hacking it around for fun it's normally ready golf.

Ready-golf, except on the tee after a birdie or eagle.

I don't defined ready golf is bad etiquette, however, most times if someone birds or eagles, they'll need to give the green light for ready golf to occur on the next tee box (out of respect from the other guys).

If there are two balls close, the guy furthest hits first most times. If it's on opposite sides of the fairway, it generally doesn't make much difference. Hit, then help if someone's ball hunting. We do various things to improve our speed of play, but I don't think anything dramatic.

Agree here. If on opposite side of fairway just don't hit at the same time. We will putt out while another is scrambling as well as long as they are not ready to hit.

Ready golf as long as it doesn't create too large of a breach of etiquette.

We usually will play honors. Lowest score off the previous hole tees off first, unless they decline the honor. (The player who has honors on one hole, and then is last to tee off on the next hole, usually gets a bit of a razzing, going from "Driving the bus" to "Back of the Bus"

On greens, furthest from the hole plays first (within reason), but if someone is taking their sweet time, others will putt ahead of them.

I play ready golf except on the green and after a birdie on the next tee box. I will putt out of turn if there is something going on and we are having to wait for some reason.

This is what we do.

I will go ahead and putt from the fringe since I always leave the flagstick in, even if I am the closest to the hole so we don't have to take the pin out for Joe to putt, then putt it back in for me. But if someone is off the green and not going to use the pin for whatever reason, then it's farthest out first.

Always ready golf, what we do is drop one guy off at his ball then go to your ball and whoever is ready first goes first. If someone is looking for a ball then we usually hit first then help look. Nothing drives me crazier than seeing the group ahead of you have a guy hit the ball then drive twenty feet to the left to see the other guy get out and figure out his club. People need to learn to walk a little and stop holding everyone up.

The groups I play with play ready golf, EXCEPT on the greens. On the greens, the only time we go out of order is when someone 'defers' for one reason or another. As long as I'm ready and someone wants me to go ahead and putt, I'm just going to putt.

~Rock

Ready golf if Honors guy isn't moving fast enough.

We are a ready golf course. Thats what makes the round stay under 4 hours! I love it that way

Ready golf for our crew, only exception is you don't jump an eagle.

Whenever I'm in a foursome, it's usually etiquette driven at first. Then at certain points during the round I'll start pushing for ready golf.

We just play ready golf and birdies first on the tee.

We play ready golf, the only thing that we wait on for honors is a birdie or eagle, but even that person can wave everyone ahead if they want to. We try and get around as fast as possible.

My idea of playing ready golf only occurs on the tee. Typically all shots played after the tee shot are played traditionally, meaning furthest from the hole plays first. There are times though, like you said, when someone is being held up for one reason or another, at which point there is usually an understanding that if you are ready you may play.

I think it's much easier to do both when walking. Everybody just goes to their ball and whacks away. Cart golf leaves many situations when etiquette must be ignored. Like those times when the furthest to putt needs to park the cart around the green and such. Just another reason I'd rather walk, but the new course construction makes it too difficult.

I always play ready golf if I can. I typically work that out before the round starts, or at the latest on the first green.

Having said that, I try and follow etiquette on my end. I won't step in someone's line. I won't putt out of turn without asking. I won't move while someone is hitting. I'll make sure I don't cast a shadow in a distracting way. I will go out of my way to make sure I don't impact someone else's score.

I will defer my turn in a second if I'm out but feel like someone is a rhythm. I don't care at all if someone steps in my line. The last people on the green stepped on it anyways. I'll defer my honors. I really don't care about that stuff.

As a high handicapper, I'm slow enough already so I do anything I can to help the game move along. By playing ready golf, I'm typically always pushing the group in front or at least keeping pace.

Last edited:
We typically play a mostly normal "away from the hole hits first" round unless we feel we aren't keeping up with the group ahead, then we'll start playing ready golf.

Back