At what point will you "Pick up?"

Once I hit triple or worse, I will pickup. Unless it's a stroke play tourney then I will obviously play out.

At my last course we put down the entire score. If you had a 15, you put it on the card which I thought was a bit over board but that was their rule. A good friend of mine had a 13 on a par three and it cost him the 1st flight in the club championship. He was a 7 handicap and normally he would not have that high of a score on that hole. He just had a mental blowup and it cost him. Thankfully at the course we recently joined, the most allowed is triple bogie.

I generally pick up when I hit my ESC number for handicapping purposes. Public courses by me are always crowded so dawdling is impossible.

It depends on the day, but most days a triple bogey is the cutoff. If I'm really watching my score or playing in a match and we're not holding anyone up, I'll play out.

Depends on whether I am holding up play. If not holding up, I finish the hole and hopefully learn from it. If the rest of the group is already done, I would pick up. If there is a group patiently waiting behind - I would pick up.

My rules of thumb is: if I'm slowing up my group and have no chance at recording more than max, I'll pick up. As soon as the latter occurs. I might still drop a ball on the green to try one mid-length putt, but will stop hitting iron shots. If I'm by myself and nobody behind me I'll never pick up.

I'll only pick up if I am slowing down the pace of play of the group(s) behind me. I don't want to contribute to the POP problem that we deal with a lot in this game.

I haven't had to "pick up" in years. But....if I was holding up the group behind, I would do it.

When I see the cute cart girl approaching..ha

I rarely do but if I'm off the green and am double par, I most likely will to keep things moving.

My buddies and I play triple bogey max. Keeps the flow going and keeps anyone from getting too upset.

I pick up at my max, but I try like hell to get that 6th shot in to avoid it.

Snowman territory usually

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Double Par. Though I have been known to pick up on a tee box once or twice.

In my league, 10 strokes per hole is the max. And unfortunately, I've been there. In a THP Event, whatever the stroke limit is. On my own, I'll never pick up.

This is the way I play. If I have a blow up hole and I'm at 10 I'm done even if the course is dead.

If I'm away, and two shots later I'm still away... I'm picking up.

I haven't had to "pick up" in years. But....if I was holding up the group behind, I would do it.

Sure wish I could say that. I Tin Cupped a short par 3 just he other day. After the third one sank, I put a fourth down and said "this is it"....golf balls don't float. :D

ESC. Why waste the time and effort when you have to adjust it anyway?

I just have a hard time picking up becasue then I am basically saying that I cant count this round towards my handicap becasue in mind not finishing a hole makes the round not legitimat. I dont get to play as often as I would like so when I do I dont like having to scrap a whole round, so I basically go down with the ship. I once carded an 11 (worst score I have carded mind you) shot an 84 that day lol.

I just have a hard time picking up becasue then I am basically saying that I cant count this round towards my handicap becasue in mind not finishing a hole makes the round not legitimat. I dont get to play as often as I would like so when I do I dont like having to scrap a whole round, so I basically go down with the ship. I once carded an 11 (worst score I have carded mind you) shot an 84 that day lol.
It's a misconception by alot of people that every stroke of every hole must be played by the rules of golf to be able to post your score. That's not quite the case.

Rules 4-1, 4-2 and 4-3 explain it pretty well here.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-04/

When my swing fails me and I can't even seem to get to the green, I'll pick up. Happens a lot less frequently than it used to.

Back