Hybrids - Taking out the ego for better scores?

ddelloch

Reaction score
Handicap
I was just looking at the pictures of Y.E's bag at the Honda this week. He is carrying 4 Hybrids this tournament. I have been wondering for awhile if I should be thinking about carrying more than just a 3H. I know I should at the very least be taking out my 4 iron but I wonder if, as someone who struggles with consistency at times and doesn't ever try to do more with his long irons than get the ball headed in the right direction, I might see a big benefit of having a 3-4-5 and maybe even a 6 hybrid?

I know I have seen post on here from people carrying multiples. How has doing that effected your game and your scores? If you were older when you made the move, do you think you would have benefited from doing it years earlier if they were available?

I know personally my wost hybrid shot is never or very rarely as bad as my worst iron shot as long as I keep a good tempo and make sure not to turn my hands over too fast. It might just be good memories or a bad ego high from having taken a 5i to the pin from 215 out a few times, there were probably 20 times for each of those that I was short or missed badly left or hit it fat because I was swinging too hard, that I am choosing to forget.

Curious to hear some thoughts. 3 More hybrids is a big financial investment and I wonder if the returns are worth it. When I demo'd my current irons I chose them over my game improvement set because they saved me a lot of strokes and long putts from 7i-PW that I wasn't getting before. I definitely am not as good with them at this stage from 4i-6i as I was with my 09 Burners so going to hybrids on some of those clubs might be a good compromise? I am hoping as my swing gets back into shape and I start a tune up lesson package in the next few weeks the question might answer itself.

I hit hybrids better than irons, so I use them. In fact, my current set is what many call hyrons.

I played all hybrids last year. Loved it.

Some people hit them better than the long irons. I love the 3/4 hybrids I have and have wondered about trying a 5.

Oh yeah if your not rocking out the hybrids you should. They have changed alot of golfers by helping them with there longer irons that they been not able to hit. Say I have a 3/4 Amp Cell and will probably get 5 hybrid and use the Altitude 6 Hyron.

I haven't made the switch yet. I also haven't found the consistency with hybrids that others have. I'm sure it's mental, and I'm sure it's not helping me, but at this current point in my game, I am more confident standing over a 4 iron than I am a 4 hybrid.

I played all hybrids last year. Loved it.

JB, when you say all hybrids are you talking 3-6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do any of you playing more than a 3 or 4 feel like you gave anything up? Are there any times on the course you find yourself wishing you had a 5i and not a 5h in your hands?

He played the Cleveland altitude iron set. There is a massive thread on the thoughts on them

I believe he played the Cleveland Altitudes last year (hyron set).

EDIT: What War Eagle said.

I removed the 4i a few weeks ago time will tell but the 4h is easier to hit

i've tried, i honestly have a harder time with them than irons...and it's not like i'm a wiz with my 4i...but my hybrid shots are all over the place.

I'm a midcapper and I've always felt more confident hitting my 3 & 4 irons than a hybrid. I could put the 3 iron out there about 220. My new irons only have a 4 iron and I'd still rather pull that than a hybrid. I think I'm in a small minority though.

I have a 2, 3, & 4 hybrid in my bag and I love em! I actually like the hybrids over fairway woods and still looking for a 3 wood that I can hitter better than my 2 hybrid. No luck so far.

I feel as though I've given hybrids a fair shake in my bag and even though they certainly had a place in there, it's not time to pull the long irons yet. My long irons are predictable and I score well with them, a hybrid will not make that much of a difference in my scorecard at the end of the day. I also spend a lot of time practicing my long irons and I truly think that that is the difference in someone that can and can't hit a long iron. No right or wrong just preference.

I am old school, so I prefer the irons. I am not saying hybrids wouldn't help my game in the short term, but I feel that practicing my long irons will ultimately help me hit all my irons better. So long term I think the long irons will help me become more consistent. At that point in time, I may give hybrids a serious look.

I took the ego out last fall and replaced my 4 iron with a hybrid, and it's been awesome so far, that club is almost automatic! I can't shape shots as easily with it as I can with a 4 iron, but 99% of the time I shouldn't even be messing with shot shapes anyways so it's not much of a loss. I still hit the 4 iron at the range to practice my ball striking though, and every so often I'll toss it in the bag.

I personally haven't found a hybrid that I hit any more consistently than I do my long irons, so I haven't made the switch.

I don't look at ego for anything. If hybrids work better for you then go for it. I have 2 hybrids (3&4) but found after very many attempts that I had and have better success with the irons so I went back to them. Whatever works best. And why would hybrids be a blow to any ones ego anyway? I never heard of that. I think making the successful shots and/or being on the green is what its all about regardless of what you use. Golf clubs don't hit balls by themselves.

I went the other way, never got along with hybrids, and I tried them all. I got a 712U 3 iron, much happier. Even if I miss hit it, it's still in play, with the hybrid, it could have went anywhere.

I don't look at ego for anything. If hybrids work better for you then go for it. I have 2 hybrids (3&4) but found after very many attempts that I had and have better success with the irons so I went back to them. Whatever works best. And why would hybrids be a blow to any ones ego anyway? I never heard of that. I think making the successful shots and/or being on the green is what its all about regardless of what you use. Golf clubs don't hit balls by themselves.

Exactly, I feel the same way. No ego, it's about what you hit well and what you like standing over.

I use hybrids up to a 5 hybrid and considered a 6. As an alternative to adding a 6 hybrid you could use a super game improvement iron in the same brand you currently use, and maybe even the 7. Will give you something in trajectory and function between a hybrid and iron. Some people, especially those that tend to miss toward the toe, tend have an issue with hooks using hybrids, and that might offset that. You could also buy a couple of hyrons.

I feel as though I've given hybrids a fair shake in my bag and even though they certainly had a place in there, it's not time to pull the long irons yet. My long irons are predictable and I score well with them, a hybrid will not make that much of a difference in my scorecard at the end of the day. I also spend a lot of time practicing my long irons and I truly think that that is the difference in someone that can and can't hit a long iron. No right or wrong just preference.

I think if you have the irons figured out that well then why change. Unfortunately I can use the help still and I know I hit my 3h 1000x better than I will ever hit an iron. I might have to do a demo round with a few in the bag if the weather ever gets better.

I think if you have the irons figured out that well then why change. Unfortunately I can use the help still and I know I hit my 3h 1000x better than I will ever hit an iron. I might have to do a demo round with a few in the bag if the weather ever gets better.

You have to think about the time one puts into the game and the skill level one has worked towards, I would never judge someone for hybridding out the bag just as I would never judge someone with a 1 iron. The guy with the 1 iron would pique my interest and I'd watch him to see how he does it lol. I put as much time into the 2, 3 and 4 irons as I do my wedges and from that comes the confidence that I speak about so much, it's all about constants and when I can't devote the time to the game or I begin to lose mobility as I age, I'll certainly put them in the bag and love every bit of the forgiveness they offer, that's for sure. I just wish more people that can't hit a long iron would stop telling those of us that can how much better it would be for us, most of us have hit them.

Back